We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

How much is a "Drink"?

fat_jedi
fat_jedi Posts: 167
Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
Forumite
Our mechanic says that he can fix a problem on the car for a "drink".

Should I offer him a can of coke or some squash?

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Just joking - I know he means money, but how much is a "drink" in this circusmtance - a pint down the pub is about £2 - £2.50

Would £5 be enough or does he want to get leathered?

FJ
"If you think things can't get worse it's probably only because you lack sufficient imagination."
«13

Comments

  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,636
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I find it's generally between £10 and £20
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    I usually say anything from a £5 to £50 is a drink, depends on the job he's doing for you, and how long it'll take.
  • goldspanners
    goldspanners Posts: 5,910 Forumite
    £10 - £20 i would say.
    ...work permit granted!
  • jaks111
    jaks111 Posts: 574
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    Forumite
    when my washing machine broke down a friends friend fixed it i gave him £10 when he asked for a drink
  • xocbc
    xocbc Posts: 320 Forumite
    A bottle of whiskey or vodka sometime does the trick too
    Dogs have owners...my cat has slaves...
  • i'd say you've pulled
    :D
  • emmell
    emmell Posts: 1,228 Forumite
    When I was in the Motor trade a 'drink' usually meant the price of a bottle of spirits.
    ML.
    He who has four and spends five, needs neither purse nor pocket
  • £5 - may be a touch offended - think round of drinks with his mates rather than a pint for him £5 not going to go far

    £10 - neutral feeling - not offended - bot overjoyed

    £20 - - that's lovely! next time he'll replace a bulb for free, or something similar


    I'd give him £20, as I'd rather have someone onside to help when I couldn't do it myself, getting something to do anything to car for under £20 is a miracle
    Unless it is damaged or discontinued - ignore any discount of over 25%
  • somech
    somech Posts: 624 Forumite
    if i say a i'll fix it for a drink it means £20:beer:

    although some old duffers still think a pint is 50p:eek:
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,636
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I had my old dear asking how much a pint was once, I asked her why and she said because so and so was going to do some work for her for a drink. I had to explain to her that it was £10 to £20. Bless her naivity
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.