How much electricity cost to run a PC?

Options
13»

Comments

• nolongerindenial
    nolongerindenial Posts: 1,041 Forumite
    edited 18 March 2010 at 1:57AM
    Options
    just been up to check my energy monitor in the office (i work at home)

in the past 22 days 7 hours and 14 minutes we have used £9.14 worth of electric on running my business, based upon the average electric price of 12p per kwh (average of day/night rate iirc) and we are currently working away at 127/128 watts (office server/bt homehub / IP phone which should be unplugged / label printer which should be unplugged / laser printer which should be unplogged lol)

most are on standby, and when I turn them all off at the weekend (apart from server / homehub) it only drops down to 110w usage

Using a shredder is expensive in terms of wattage! during the day we run at about 200w on average - however this shoots up to over 700watts when the shredder is shredding the paper! This to me means one minute of shredder usage would equate to 5 minutes of the computer being on in terms of cost.
    £4142.49/ £131,795.91 - 3.14% paid off or only £129,608.80 to go!
    Debt free by Xmas 2015: #182 £1955.38/£4435.51 (44.08%)
    MFW: Opening Balance: £108,297.91 Original MF Date: June 2042
    Current Balance: £106600.27 Estimated MF Date: Dec 2033
    Proud to be dealing with my debts
  • Capistan
    Capistan Posts: 3,019 Forumite
    edited 18 March 2010 at 2:39AM
    Options
    TG82 wrote: »
    In the last couple of days, I've started using a PC in my home and I've realised according to the cost calculator we have in our home that it is costing around 7p per hour.

Now that is a great deal. If it's on 6-8 hours per day, that's an average of 50p per day, £15 per month.

Surely this cannot be right just for a PC?

I'm wondering whether there's a problem. Some of our electricity bills have been inexplicably high lately, but before I look into that, I wanted to know from anybody who knows whether this particular cost sounds right to them because to me it does not, and I've been shocked. Maybe I've only just awoken to the cost of utilities rather than just groaning at the bill, but still. Something seems not right to me.

That does not seem too far off the mark, with electrivity at 15p per kwh
    that means you use 500 watts.
    Remember to include your monitor.

Your PC might use 200
    Monitor 100.
    Then you might have a few other bits and bobs, eg modem and perhaps speakers, USB devices.

Maybe 500watts is a bit high but certainly 300 is not, it depends on your PC
    and it's specifictaion.
    Some of the older Intel Chpis used a lot of juice (Pentium 4).

When buying a PC the power consumption is well worth taking into comsideration as it may cost more to run than to buy over it's lifetime.
    Toffs laying into the less well off? Surely not!! :naughty:

The Following 932 Users Say Thank You to Capistan For This Useful Post: Show me >> :D
  • JasX
    JasX Posts: 3,996 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 25 March 2010 at 12:23PM
    Options
    /bump

FYI finally got round to hooking up my energy monitor to my PC, power draw is for everything as its all plugged into the same bloc -> PC, Monitor + speakers.

When OFF (PSU still connected to mains) = 31w
    When in SLEEP mode = 37w
    When running & doing simple stuff (eg browsing) = 264w
    When running a moderately demanding current 3D game (L4D2) = 340w

Tonight my TV and Apple box will be getting scrutinised :)
  • housebug
    housebug Posts: 201 Forumite
    Options
    Hubby works from home as a software engineer so the PC is on as much as 14 hours a day. And yes, it can get expensive. A little over a year ago, he replaced various bits of the hardware to more energy saving ones. And he turns the thing off at the plug when he finishes for the day. It has helped a bit. however a desk top is going to be considerably more expensive to run than a laptop. End of.
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,109 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Cheaper than driving to work though
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts