NEW: Got questions about energy? Put them to Gary and Andrew from MSE's Utilities team during our energy-themed 'Ask An Expert' event. Check back here from Tuesday 9 August, 12pm

Declaring War on Corn Flies

edited 13 August 2010 at 12:21PM in Old style MoneySaving
26 replies 63K views

Replies

• I call them thunder flies don;t look like the link supplied - are tiny miniscule like essexgirl is talking about. Haven't a clue how to get rid of them but they are drving me potty. Minute I walk outside the door in anything light coloured I am covered in them. As for my window cills - as quick as I wipe the dead ones up more appear. Wait till they get behind your picture frames!
  • scuzzscuzz Forumite
    2K Posts
    SorryI have a confession - I completely misread the title of this thread as "war on corn FLAKES"

I'll go back in my corner now:o
    Comping, Clicking & Saving for Change
  • Thanks for all your replies people! Glad to see it is not just me that is being plagued!

They have abated quite a bit now - they were the worst after the thunderstorm we had recently. I sprayed the front door with vinegar and water and they didn't seem to like that too much - it may just be my imagination though.

I also have a couple inside my LCD screen! Nightmare. They seem to take a couple of days to die inside the house, then can be hoovered up.

MickKnipfler - no, they don't bite, they just love to crawl into your ears and hair.

Samh - thanks a lot for the lavender tip - that may be why there are fewer flies at the back door - the previous occupant planted a lavender border. Now we know why! I will try and repot some by the front door.

janeawej - we are pretty well surrounded by fields - the flies must be the price for having the view! Ah well. I will try the mint as well.

Thanks for all your help!

PS - LOL Scuzz!!
    Self-building fund :eek:: £4259
    Savings target: 1 rainy year 10000/10000 :j

WINS 2011: Briggs & Reilly Suitcase, Nail Polish, Book, AEGON international tennis tickets x2, 4* trip to London including Michelin Star dinner :j
  • We're plagued with horse flies here. I know which I'd rather tolerate...
  • Hi
    We have alsorts of flies and I would like to be better at identifying them then at least | know what they are as i wallop them! Anyone know a good site for identyfying flies?
  • Hi
    We have alsorts of flies and I would like to be better at identifying them then at least | know what they are as i wallop them! Anyone know a good site for identyfying flies?

Especially those that bite. I was bitten to death by some really nasty little flies with black and white legs the other day. What were they?
  • samh_2samh_2 Forumite
    151 Posts
    Lucky you, divorcingjack, having a lavender hedge - I always think it makes a lovely hedge, so much nicer than leylandii etc! It is really easy to take cuttings from lavender - just pull off a woody stem, leaving the heel on it; remove the lower leaves; dip it in some rooting powder and stick it in the ground. If you take lots of cuttings you should have several plants next year.

Hope that helps!
    Sam
  • Fill a ziplock bag with water and 5 or 6 pennies and hang it in the problem area. In my case it was a particular window in my home. It had a slight but significant passage way for insects. Ever since I have done that, it has kept flies and wasps away. Some say that wasps and flies mistake the bag for some sort of other insect nest and are threatened by this.
    ***signature removed by Forum Team - please read the forum rules if you are not sure why your signature has been removed***
  • PollycatPollycat Forumite
    32.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    Alex80
    You're giving advice on a thread that has been dormant for 11 years........

NECROPOST ALERT
  • Pollycat wrote: »
    Alex80
    You're giving advice on a thread that has been dormant for 11 years........

NECROPOST ALERT
    Still a handy tip...if it works.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Homes, hornets & high heels

This week's MSE Forum highlights

MSE Forum

Kids eat for 'free' or £1 this summer

Little ones can enjoy hot meals for less

MSE Deals