NPower - tasked with checking people aren't paying too much?

Options
VickyA_2
VickyA_2 Posts: 4,533 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
We've just had a sharp suited man on the doorstep giving free "advice". Turns out that NPower are checking that people in the area are on the correct tariff after all the price cuts. Now, DH and I are relatively intelligent people :D but are NPower really doing this? He claimed that he wasn't selling anything and he got very shirty when DH assured him that I would have us on the best tariff and would he mind calling back later once we've checked it out with our current utilities provider.

I'm beginning to doubt myself, so are they REALLY checking that people are on the correct tariff or am I just turning into the sort of customer that they want - ie completely gullible? :o

Sorry, this is probably a really silly question and you'll all laugh at me uncontrollably. :)
Sealed Pot Challenge #021 #8 975.71 #9 £881.44 #10 £961.13 #11 £782.13 #12 £741.83 #13 £2135.22 #14 £895.53 #15 £1240.40 #16 £1805.87 declared

Comments

• closed
    closed Posts: 10,886 Forumite
    edited 13 March 2010 at 4:50PM
    Options
    He's lying, he's a salesman, on commission, trying to switch you.

Work out your actual kwh usage pa, and use a comparison service, not someone knocking at your door telling porkies.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/you-switch-gas-electricity
    !!
    > . !!!! ----> .
  • VickyA_2
    VickyA_2 Posts: 4,533 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    closed wrote: »
    He's lying, he's a salesman trying to switch you, on commission

Work out your actual kwh usage pa, and use a comparison service, not someone knocking at your door telling porkies.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/you-switch-gas-electricity

Thank you. I thought that was the case, but you know when you begin to doubt yourself....... we only moved here last week having had work done to it for the past 3 months, so are probably a little dazed at the moment.
    Sealed Pot Challenge #021 #8 975.71 #9 £881.44 #10 £961.13 #11 £782.13 #12 £741.83 #13 £2135.22 #14 £895.53 #15 £1240.40 #16 £1805.87 declared
  • Plushchris
    Plushchris Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    It may have had a sharp suit on but as closed points out, it was a lying cheating scumbag salesman.

These idiots will try every trick in the book to fool you into signing up with them, and it wouldnt have even signed you up to its cheapest tariff, if anything these excrement of humanity sign you up to the companies most expensive tariffs after decieving you into thinking they are cheaper.

As you may have guessed, I have a special disreguard for these toerags. The use of the word ""it" was intentional. There will be a special place reserved in hell for such scum.

Next time it darkens your door tell it to sling its hook.
    Missing Tesco R&R since Feb '07 :A & now a "Tesco veteran" apparently! ;)
  • magyar
    magyar Posts: 18,909 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As an aside, you might also ask for the name of the salesman in question and report him to the company he's working for - they're just as keen to stamp out this sort of practice.
    Says James, in my opinion, there's nothing in this world
    Beats a '52 Vincent and a red headed girl
  • Plushchris
    Options
    magyar wrote: »
    As an aside, you might also ask for the name of the salesman in question and report him to the company he's working for - they're just as keen to stamp out this sort of practice.

Or so they would like everyone to believe!

The sort of behaviour illustrated by the salesman in the OP is covered in training sessions and encouraged by sales managers. I know this for a fact and it has been shown on watchdog.

I agree complaints should be made, I just dont think it should be to the company itself as I bet these things get swept under the carpet.
  • magyar
    Options
    Plushchris wrote: »
    Or so they would like everyone to believe!

The sort of behaviour illustrated by the salesman in the OP is covered in training sessions and encouraged by sales managers. I know this for a fact and it has been shown on watchdog.

I agree complaints should be made, I just dont think it should be to the company itself as I bet these things get swept under the carpet.

Junior sales managers, maybe, but I can promise you - from within the industry - that the senior management don't condone this sort of behaviour in the slightest.

By all means complain to both the company and Ofgem, but do give the name of the sales agent to the company because they WILL discipline them.
  • Haarlem
    Haarlem Posts: 345 Forumite
    Options
    Junior sales managers, maybe, but I can promise you - from within the industry - that the senior management don't condone this sort of behaviour in the slightest.

By all means complain to both the company and Ofgem, but do give the name of the sales agent to the company because they WILL discipline them.

You are wasting your time complaining. The aim of a Supplier is to get as many customers as they can by any means they can.
  • magyar
    Options
    Haarlem wrote: »
    You are wasting your time complaining. The aim of a Supplier is to get as many customers as they can by any means they can.

Yes it is, but not by foul means. And bad publicity can lose you customers, so it isn't worth it.

I can only repeat, that if someone reports a salesman by name, they will get investigated.
  • Plushchris
    Options
    Cant help but think you are toeing the company line there Magyar using terms like "investigated" and "disciplined"

What people really want to hear is "Stopped" but that hasnt happened has it, these scumbags have been knocking on peoples doors and telling lies for ages now and nothing has changed.
  • skiTTish
    skiTTish Posts: 1,385 Forumite
    Options
    :rotfl:THATS funny !!:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport