We're having a baby in  4weeks & im Brick

Hi Guys,

just thought i'd share the above with you - our first baby is due on September 10th (god i hope its not born on the 11th :-/).

So anyway we've finally got our finances in some kind of order - we're in the process of opening the Abbey postal ISA @5.1% - our first ones thanks to this websites help ;D ;D ;D and im looking to action Martin's brainchild - the whole 'savings fountain' thing too

We've decided on cotton nappies - again thanks to this website (we decided on bambino mio in the end)

We got married two years ago and have been living with my parents since, so we can save for a deposit. But in the next two weeks we will be moving into a rented house as it gets a bit crowded here. Our 'deposit' will no doubt get dipped into due to moving out but hey thats life i guess..... :-/

The big things worrying me financially are starting out in a rented property with a new baby. Does anyone have any tips for keeping bills and council taxes to a minimum. Also saving in the childs name (i dont quite understand Martins article on this site) and the 'tax credit' thing the govt were pushing so hard a year or so ago.

Just generally im sure many of you were in the same boat i'm in now so ANY tips about ANYTHING will help also!!!!

Many thanks to all you MSE'ers who've helped me so much in the last 6 months i've been visiting this site. and many thanks in advance for all your advice

Neil

Formerly known as Gadget Freak!!!
(oh and i dont know how to change my name...)

Comments

• sorry - title should read 'we're having a baby in 4 weeks and i'm bricking it!!'

N

• jo_b_2
    jo_b_2 Posts: 7,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Good luck and try not to panic! My little boy was born on the 11th September so it's a special day for me for different reasons to most other people. He will be two this year.

Sounds like you've done some financial planning for the new arrival so you've made a good start. My best advice would be to accept anything offered to you by other parents, relatives etc. Join all the baby clubs going for their freebies etc. Don't go mad buying all the latest gadgets, though. If possible wait until after the birth and you'll have a better idea of the things you will actually need/use.

For example, we spent £35 on a baby sling which we never used because it was so bloody difficult to get the baby in the thing! If we'd waited until after the birth we would have realised this and saved the money. A vibrating rocking chair was, however, worth its weight in gold. A Galt Playnest was an excellent buy (£5 from a car boot sale) as my boy was a late sitter and used it for months.

Anyway, spend your time browsing through the boards on here (while you've still got the chance!) and enjoy the anticipation. All the best, JO.
  • My advice to you for equipment is firstly as the previous post suggested, borrow as much as you can. If it isn't possible, try to go to NCT nearly new sales for all your equipment and clothes, there is absolutely no need to buy anything new, all these items are of fantastic quality and mega cheap. Contact your local area to find out when and where the sales are.

http://www.nctpregnancyandbabycare.com/nearest_branch.asp

I also attach a link to the NCT web page, as I would also recommend contacting your local branch and be put in touch with other mums. These meet ups have been an absolute god send to me, and it is amazing how many money saving tips we all share with one another.

Another thing I have found is how little money I have spent since I had my baby. Yes ok nappies cost, but get lots of help with breastfeeding at the beginning and months down the road you will be still producing free milk (I know another debate, not looking to start one!), and apart from clothes and the odd toy that is all the baby wants from you.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Congratulations and best wishes to you.

I dont really have any tips for you, but just to live life as simply as you can.

This forum, has taught me such a lot, and so has this one.
    UKParents
  • Lucie_2
    Lucie_2 Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Wow Neil, sounds like you're going to be busy!

One of my friends had a baby a few weeks back & has bought a few bits & pieces off ebay at bargain rates. It's always worth a look.

As for your query re: bills etc - contact all the utility suppliers/council as soon as you move in & insist they come round & read all the meters & set you up an account straight away. Last time we moved it took the gas people 2 years, yes, 2 years to get around to it, meaning we were stuck with a huge bill when it finally came. Getting it all sorted out from day one means you will be in a better position to budget.
  • I know this probably won't help you out much, but make sure you claim, working tax credits and child tax credits that way you can also apply for a SURE START GRANT which is a one off payment from the government of £500 soshould helpyou out a bit, plus you don't have to spend it on the baby, you can use itto help out in your house. Hope this helps.
    I would suggest you take a trip to your local Inland revenue office, and benefits office, and claim for whatever you can.

This doesn't mean I'm telling you to live off other peoples tax contributions, before anyone starts on me.
    If you and your partner have paid tax for all your working life...you're entitled to a little back
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Wot Melly said. ;D

Welcome to the boards by the way Melly. :)
  • That top advice from all of you. Thanks heaps so far. Its not like we're gonna be completely strapped for cash as i get a 'reasonable' salary and Mrs Gadget will get a reasonable school teachers maternity pay. So we may be able to afford a few luxuries every now and then!! Its just that these pastures new can seem so daunting......

In particular Melly's advice and Counting Pennies i found useful - i was under the impression that babies were Money sponges!!! ;D

Anway thanks so far for you help - keep the tips coming please!!!

Neil

16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    if mrs gadget is up for it, and its personal choice, breastfeeding saves you a fortune on powdered milk, and a breast pump is worth its weight in gold. If she does try, tell her to persevere, and get her to express milk so you can do feeds in the night too.

Don't buy loads of baby clothes, mine were happiest in baby gro's and cardi's for the first few months, so long as they're warm, fed and happy thats all babys care about. I had a couple of outfits only for going to partys etc in, but never bothered rest of time, and it cuts down on fiddly ironing too.

As for saving money around the house, I have an electric meter which keeps me on my toes about turning lights off when I leave a room, switching tv, video off at the wall. if you can get your bills on direct debit do so, and then you know how much you have to pay each month. Most councils now let you pay council tax by direct debit too, so you know where you're up to.

there are so many money saving tips on this site, spend some time having a good luck around, and if it all seems a bit much, just change a couple of thins a week that you do, and you will hardly notice the difference.

I wish you all the luck and love in the world, and one very important last tip, enjoy every second of it, your kids are worth more than anything, and seeing them grow up is the best experience in the world.

lots of love and good wishes,

• Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    You may find that your baby will sometimes settle on you for a sleep, feel good about this and dont let your lady feel upset - she will smell of milk and if you have hungry babes like my 3 all were they will just want her for food ;)
    Carrying your baby to get it to sleep whilst gently tapping their back and singing/humming, gosh its all comin back to me now!
    Take photos of your baby asleep too bcos they all seem to be sweeter when asleep!
    Second hand ANYTHING I used a cot for all 3 kids that had had another friend's 3 kids in it before, just got a new mattress.
    I used washable nappies. Secondhand clothes, made my own baby food.
    Put a list up inside your front door, or a sign 'visitors must earn their keep'! Even if they only hoover a room or make coffee, people will feel they have a right to bombard you - make it on your terms! Its a free gift they can give to you ;D
    Get an answer phone if you dont have one, and a cordless one if you want to answer the phone.
    get your baby a savings account because people tend to give money, especially to first babies, and put in a tenner a month on standing order.
    I agree about babygros, my daughter even went to nursery in them until she was 6 months old ;D
    Have a great time. My first was born on the 17th Sep.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts