Redundancy - can i turn down these 'suitable' alternatives?

Options
2»

Comments

• lilyofthefield
    Options
    thank you for all your replies

yes i can find the mouse lol and i can find my way round the internet...but these are the basics.....i get in a panic when things go wrong and don't really enough about spreadsheets and programs etc.....i have thought long and hard about the other job but i know how stressed i would get and it would be very pressure driven..all targets etc to be detailed..all the admin would be computer based and down to me.....i get a great satisfaction working with disaffected youngsters not disaffected computers.

i understand in the current climate that it might be difficult to get another job but me and my husband have looked into it - he does work full time and we managed to pay off the mortgage early [i was always worried this would happen so we have overpaid the last few years]

after what happened to me during treatment i am ready to take a backwards step and enjoy the quality of my life rather than be more financially secure and more stressed.

i just feel angry that after 9 years in a very difficult job that i may leave with nothing

thank you again
  • Emmzi
    Emmzi Posts: 8,658 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    well, you could try and negotiate a trial period. That's quite common in these situations. Say 12 weeks, and if it doesn't work, then rendundancy.

Worth a shot,no?

I just worry that you are making a lot of assumptions about something you really haven't tried.

(Would you let your dissaffected youngsters away with that attitude?)
    Debt free 4th April 2007.
    New house. Bigger mortgage. MFWB after I have my buffer cash in place.
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Emmzi wrote: »
    well, you could try and negotiate a trial period. That's quite common in these situations. Say 12 weeks, and if it doesn't work, then rendundancy.

Worth a shot,no?

I just worry that you are making a lot of assumptions about something you really haven't tried.

(Would you let your dissaffected youngsters away with that attitude?)

I believe the trial period for "alternative" positions is actually only 4 weeks - needs checking......

Also - I would imagine a lot of employers would deliberately keep things as "easy;)" as possible in that trial period - and one would only find the "true nature" of the other position once the employer had realized that the trial period time was over and started expecting the "harder" job that they really knew it was all along.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    edited 11 March 2010 at 9:27AM
    Options
    Looks like they are trying it on to get people to accept the moves or leave.

The company/boss can say these are suitable alternatives but that does not make the suitable alternatives.

They need to show why they think they are suitable
    You can say they are not suitable the company will need to show they are suitable.
    Do not accept if you don't agree(also don't resign)

The data entry looks to be not suitable, totaly different type of work as well as a move
    Any other pay or conditions that would be different?

The same job different location may also not be suitable.
    This has to be considered on an indiividual basis
    Under the circumstances this could be totaly unsuitable since you would have difficulty geting there.

Check if you have legal coer on your house insurance these often cover employment disputes.
    Companies hope that people will just believe what they tell them but fighting backcan sort this problem out nd they start to do stuff properly(it is cheaper for them)

Are you due any enhanced redundancy from your previous job(pre TUPE).
    If not then stat redundancy is 9 * £380 (or more if over 41)

How many people are effected by the closure?
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    ceridwen wrote: »
    I believe the trial period for "alternative" positions is actually only 4 weeks - needs checking......

Also - I would imagine a lot of employers would deliberately keep things as "easy;)" as possible in that trial period - and one would only find the "true nature" of the other position once the employer had realized that the trial period time was over and started expecting the "harder" job that they really knew it was all along.

Legal trial is 4 weeks but this can be extended by agreement, allthough this has to be for good reasons, training required is a good reason.

I would avoid the trial since this is starting to accept that the job might be suitable, I would stick with the job is not suitable and never will be.
  • dickydonkin
    dickydonkin Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ceridwen wrote: »

Good point.

Although many years ago, my role was made redundant due to subcontracting and I had the option of redundancy payment or given another role within the business.

I was the same as the OP at first as it was something I THOUGHT may not be suitable for me.

I was given a reasonable 3 month trial and I was fine - much better than expected and actually led to promotion some two years down the line so yes, defininately consider trialling the job if that option is open to you.
  • ariarnia
    ariarnia Posts: 4,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    data entry is mind numbing, especially if you're used to working with people, but it's not difficult, anything but. I used to listen to my headphones (music or an audio book) for hours when I was working data entry.
    Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you. Anne Lamott

It's amazing how those with a can-do attitude and willingness to 'pitch in and work' get all the luck, isn't it?

Please consider buying some pet food and giving it to your local food bank collection or animal charity. Animals aren't to blame for the cost of living crisis.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure