Redundancy - can i turn down these 'suitable' alternatives?

Options
I work for a large organisation that has offices all over. The branch i work in is closing down though. We have been told that hopefully there will be no compulsory redundancies as we shall all be transferred or redeployed.
The nearest office would be a 70 mile round trip for me thats in the job that i do..however there is an office alot nearer but doing a completely different job that relys alot on computers and entering data [i just about can find the mouse and have no interest in computers..i like dealing face to face with people]. I feel that even though i love my current job i know its time to go but i have worked here 9 years and so would be entitled to 12 weeks money but my boss says i am being offered suitable alternatives so i would be making myself unemployed and would get nothing.

I am in remission from cancer and find long journeys very tiring and my medication affects my joints..i really could not do that drive all day every day. I feel that the other job is vastly different from what i am trained to do and feel quite stressed even thinking of working with computers all day.

Do you think i am within my rights to say they are not suitable alternatives. I know there may have been a mobility clause in my original contract but we have been Tupeed over twice since then and i was well and there was never any question of moving so far away as those offices did not exist then.

thank you

Comments

• dickydonkin
    dickydonkin Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It is very likely you will be covered under the DDA due to your illness - irrespective that you are in remission and I would suggest that the symptoms of your illness alone makes the 'suitable alternative' - unsuitable.

It could be argued that even without your illness, the new positions would not be suitable, however, it may be worth trying to discover what the mobility clause entails if it does indeed exist.

I think the company would be unreasonable in forcing the issue and a little compassion would go a long way, however, I would certainly mention the DDA to your employer - they may change their attitude.
  • jdturk
    jdturk Posts: 1,636 Forumite
    Options
    the travelling one I can understand, the lack of willing to work with a computer I don't really understand. You'll get trained how to operate them and do the work.

I think if it is a redundancy you can do it on a trial basis and then if you don't like it still take redundancy then but hopefully someone can clarify it for me
    Always ask ACAS
  • lilyofthefield
    Options
    thank you very much for answering..i will look into it...

the computer issue really is that i work with young people in the job that i do and all my experience, training and qualifications centre around this.....the position offered is solitary, inputting data, setting up systems and not working with young people....something that would require alot of training and something i have no aptitude for at all . i am not being awkward just honest.
  • jdturk
    jdturk Posts: 1,636 Forumite
    Options
    thank you very much for answering..i will look into it...

the computer issue really is that i work with young people in the job that i do and all my experience, training and qualifications centre around this.....the position offered is solitary, inputting data, setting up systems and not working with young people....something that would require alot of training and something i have no aptitude for at all . i am not being awkward just honest.

Fair enough, valid points
    Always ask ACAS
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Mobility clauses do not overide the need for a relocations to be reasonable.

It would not just be distance but time and transport would come into it.
    Also what financial support there was during a transition period.

Whats the current time/distance to get to work?
    What would the new distance times be?

Depending on what they employ you as, the other job might not be suitable alternative anyway looks that way from what you have said.

How many people are effected?

If enough then your reps should handle the group consultation and the suitability of the alternatives for everyone, so people don't get bullied harassed into accepting jobs.
  • Dr.Shoe_2
    Dr.Shoe_2 Posts: 1,028 Forumite
    Options
    Going from a client based job to a data entry job is not a "suitable replacement" that can only be by relocating you to an identical job. In some firms and in government jobs, if they move you you shopuld be ableto either claim removal expenses or travel costs above the distance you formerly travelled to work. So if a 5 mile journey becomes 30 you can claim 25. I don't know how this equates to the private sector though.
    [strike]-£20,000[/strike] 0!
  • dickydonkin
    edited 11 March 2010 at 1:12AM
    Options
    The other aspect that also needs to be considered - irrespective of the positions being suitable or not, is that the OP's illness should also be factored into the equation.

The employer should be commended for attempting to avoid compulsory redundancies, however they seem to be a little unsympathetic to the OP's health situation and how such a transfer would affect her.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    dpassmore wrote: »
    The other aspect that also needs to be considered - irrespective of the positions being suitable or not, is that the OP's illness also should be factored into the equation.

I quite agree, but equally the OP needs to consider the difficulties he may have getting another job if he takes redundancy.
  • dickydonkin
    Options
    I quite agree, but equally the OP needs to consider the difficulties he may have getting another job if he takes redundancy.

Very valid point - particularly in the current job market.
  • Emmzi
    Emmzi Posts: 8,658 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    lily, as a dumb question - you're at a computer now entering text - so you really can find the mouse! Might not be as bad a job as you think??
    Debt free 4th April 2007.
    New house. Bigger mortgage. MFWB after I have my buffer cash in place.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure