ASHP or GSHP

paddo_2
paddo_2 Posts: 1 Newbie
edited 23 January at 2:42PM in Heat pumps
after much research and no gas we are looking at fitting ASHP or GSHP. Would probably prefer to go for air source mainly because of less disruption whilst installing. Property is new build well insulated with underfloor heating throughout.
We have been to lots of self build shows, read all the literature but would really like to talk to somebody who actually uses one of these systems.
Do they really work? Do they keep the house warm enough all year even in winter when really cold outside? Can anybody recommend a certain make, we have found that nibe seems to mentioned alot.

We would really just like some advice and information from somebody who uses ASHP or GSHP rather than the salesmans pitch.

Thank you

Comments

• w50nky
    w50nky Posts: 418 Forumite
    If you carry out search of this forum there have been a great deal of posts on this topic by people who have gone down these routes. Search for your topic in the box in the green banner on this page and ensure you change the search to forum in the drop down box. Hope this helps.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you! :dance:
  • hebridean
    hebridean Posts: 93
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It's a nightmare Paddo. The ASHP/GSHP situation is presently like UFH heating was about fifteen years ago when you had to go to a supplier who wanted to supply and install with little or no chance of you DIY'ing the job. Today you can buy all you need from most builders merchants and plumbers are mostly ofay with the process.

I'm about to start a new build in the Western Isles next month and have had a few quotes. The biggest hurdle i encountered was that they also wanted to install the ASHP and commission it which you can imagine adds a few thousand onto the price. Being in Scotland i'm also entitled to a 30% grant to a maximum of £4000, but the ASHP supplier has to be in the grant scheme to get it. Then there are the ASHP manufacturers accredited installers which the fitter has to be or your warranty is invalid. So to get around this the plumber can fit it but an accredited installer can commision it.

As for me i've almost decided on a Nibe 11kw unit because quite a few have been fitted on the island and the local tradesmen are used to them and should anything go wrong with it i would'nt have to wait for someone to come from the mainland to fix it. I am also waiting for a reply to an e-mail i sent to a Grant salesman regarding their Aerona ASHP range which are showing better COP ratings than the Nibe.

There are a few companies that sell the units on the web giving prices, Soloheatinginstallations mainly Nibe i think, Orion which sell a variety of units and the only place i could find a price for a Grant unit is Lunns.

Best of luck.
  • thills
    thills Posts: 100 Forumite
    In 5 years, we in the UK will not be able to clip our own nails without a certificate of competence. In the case of this technology, you would be daft to DIY it & miss out on all the grants/subsidies that will be coming along (probably) read up on the RHI scheme. We (citizens) are not competent enough to decide for ourselves any more. Freedom as we once knew it, has long gone. Bankers excepted of course.
  • samtheman1k
    samtheman1k Posts: 473
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Yes, ASHP and GSHP do work. The water temperature is lower than that produced by gas, but that isn't an issue as you should have a mixer valve that retains it at a constant 43deg-ish for your UFH. HPs are more than capable at achieving this water temperature. As long as you buy one that is large enough for the size of your house, you shouldn't have any problems. Personally, I'd make the investment/effort for a GSHP as it will be cheaper to run, and you don't have a rather unsightly fan in your garden!

Personally, I have an Ecodan and no problems at all during January this year, but that is one of the more expensive versions due to it's lower noise and lower guaranteed operating temperature. I'm sure others can vouch for other brands equally well.

There are likely to be some new regs coming out in the next few months, mainly making the ASHP a permitted development, within certain noise levels, so I'd wait until that is clearer if you can wait, but not essential to do so. Getting a grant requires you to use an approved installer, which will cost more, offsetting the grant, so I don't really see any point not DIYing at the moment...any plumber can install an ASHP (or yourself if you're competent).
  • Andy_WSM
    Andy_WSM Posts: 2,217
    First Anniversary First Post Uniform Washer Rampant Recycler
    Forumite

Personally, I have an Ecodan and no problems at all during January this year, but that is one of the more expensive versions due to it's lower noise and lower guaranteed operating temperature. I'm sure others can vouch for other brands equally well.

Well, not all of us ;)

I have a Trianco and it failed dismally in January. It is only rated to -5C anyway and suffers low output below about 0C, so in January when we had days of sub zero temps and night temps of -10C and below - I was cold! My fix at the time (after advice on here), which I have made a bit more permanent now, was to employ the 3KW immersion heater to boost the system temperatures. I have now wired in an extra circuit using a control voltage from the Trianco & a Frost Stat mounted externally to make the "decision" for me and switch on the 3KW immersion if both the Heat Pump is running and the temperatures are below 0C. It now works very well!
  • thills
    thills Posts: 100 Forumite
    . Getting a grant requires you to use an approved installer, which will cost more, offsetting the grant, so I don't really see any point not DIYing at the moment...any plumber can install an ASHP (or yourself if you're competent).

For the odd grand that is fair enough, but you could lose many thousands from the RHI if you do not have a microgeneration cert. Proposal is for 7p per kw of heat you generate x 18 years. Potentially a lot of money. But it is a proposal currently.
  • samtheman1k
    Forumite
    thills wrote: »
    For the odd grand that is fair enough, but you could lose many thousands from the RHI if you do not have a microgeneration cert. Proposal is for 7p per kw of heat you generate x 18 years. Potentially a lot of money. But it is a proposal currently.

Yes, quite. It does seem too good to be true..I can't see how the govt can afford it at the moment!! I'm sure there's a saying somewhere about if it sounds too good to be true...
  • samtheman1k
    Forumite
    Andy_WSM wrote: »
    Well, not all of us ;)

I have a Trianco and it failed dismally in January. It is only rated to -5C anyway and suffers low output below about 0C, so in January when we had days of sub zero temps and night temps of -10C and below - I was cold! My fix at the time (after advice on here), which I have made a bit more permanent now, was to employ the 3KW immersion heater to boost the system temperatures. I have now wired in an extra circuit using a control voltage from the Trianco & a Frost Stat mounted externally to make the "decision" for me and switch on the 3KW immersion if both the Heat Pump is running and the temperatures are below 0C. It now works very well!

I have the gledhill/ecodan system, and that has a 3kW electric booster built in and a 3kW booster for the DHW. I can't tell how much it was using it, and admittedly the system was only just about maintaining temperature, and it was running at full whack for most of the time, and had to stop fairly often to defrost the big clump of ice that seems to form on the back!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure