'What should I ask George Osborne? Question suggestions wanted.' blog discussion

Options
This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.
Please click reply to discuss below.
UPDATE NOTE:

You can now read the full George Osborne Interview Transcript

Comments

• Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Since they still appear to be planning a 'reform' of inheritance tax, how about the return of the 10% tax rate?

The Tories were clearly outraged at the time it was abolished, but will they actually take positive action and thus prove that they care about those at the 'other end' of the scale?
  • vangirl_2
    vangirl_2 Posts: 1,956 Forumite
    Options
    You should ask him if he would increase the rate of VAT or add VAT to products currently exempt.
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 9 March 2010 at 2:29PM
    Options
    As I'm from debate house prices board really (well...and health beauty and fashion, but...well, I don't think he claims expertise in those areas) I'd like to know what he considers a healthy property market, for current homeowners, first time buyers and the economy as a whole.

I'd also like to know what equality he might strike between taxation etc of paye earners and self employed and his views on a cashless economy :)
  • tomterm8
    tomterm8 Posts: 5,892 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    How would Mr Osborne change the regulation of the banks?
    Who are the ten largest donators to the Tory party in the last year?
    “The ideas of debtor and creditor as to what constitutes a good time never coincide.”
    ― P.G. Wodehouse, Love Among the Chickens
  • baileysbattlebus
    Options
    Does Mr Osborne still plan to bring back the link of state pensions to earnings in the next parliament, he said he would in the last Tory Party Conference.

How does he plan to fund this and how does it fit in with the age of austerity promised by him last autumn?
  • ThinkingOfLinking
    ThinkingOfLinking Posts: 11,828 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    As well as bringing back the 10% tax band, I'd like to see some reforms to benefits.

I fail to understand why under 25s get so much less JSA or equivalent than those over 25, and also why under 25s are forced into shared accommodation. I know benefits are a sore subject for a lot of people on these forums but as someone who has fallen on hard times having been made redundant out of the blue, after paying into the system, I am asking why I am, as a 24 year old, receiving £15 less per week than I will be "entitled" to in less than 6 months time, when I turn 25. And why I will then be deemed fit to have my own home rather than being forced into a flatshare in an unsafe property with damp in a nasty area, as happens to so many people. I'd also like to see more practical help being given to jobseekers as the jobcentre has been useless to me.
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,008 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Some sense of the balance between spending cuts and tax increases to be used to move public spending and income back in to balance?

Any comments on whether the tax and NI system could be radically simplified and made fairer with sharply increased allowances paid for by restricting universal benefits to those who need them (subject to the efficiency cost of dong this)
    I think....
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ask him if he has the slightest idea of what percentage of their weekly SRP a pensioner has to spend on keeping their house heated to the recommended temperature and themselves alive.
    Actually he won't have a clue, so be prepared to tell him.

ps don't be fobbed off with the WFA emotional red herring.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • Conrad
    Conrad Posts: 33,137 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm a life long Tory as is my father, yet because of Osborne we are both going to vote Labour.

WHY DID HE ALONE AMONGST INTERNATIONAL STATE DIGNATORYS TAKE THE VIEW Q/E WAS NOT NEEDED JUST PRIOR TO THE UK Q/E PROGRAMME BEGINNING?
  • dealsearcher
    dealsearcher Posts: 756 Forumite
    Options
    Martin,

Stick to the big picture:

1. How are they going to make sure the markets have confidence in them?

2. Their priorities on tackling the deficit when they get to see the actual figures after the election?

3. How are they going to simplify the tax system for individuals and small businesses?

That's probably all you will have time for if you get comprehensive answers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure