MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should Theo tell the boss about Wayne and Jermaine?

Options

Comments

• JayD
    JayD Posts: 700 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Surely Theo can inform the boss of the glitch as if it was something he had just spotteed (anonymously) and not draw attention to the fact that he is aware it has been exploited?
  • crowlands
    crowlands Posts: 110 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes I would 'shop them' - they are getting money that is not due to them - and more importantly they are not being paid fairly against their colleagues who are working with them.
  • glasgowsoundman
    Options
    Yes, of course he should.
  • Liz1957
    Options
    Theo should do some overtime, notice that he has been paid too much and tell the boss, this way he lets them know and stops it without loosing his friends.
  • minerva_windsong
    Options
    Just because they've found a loophole doesn't make it right. Most companys now have a confidential line employees can call if something is not right somewhere. He should do something anonymously so it can be investigated properly and his collegues faced with hard evidence of their misdeeds. They are knowingly taking advantage and know exactly what they should be getting paid so this is clear cut fraud. If this was a shopworker with their fingers in the till there wouldn't be any discussion. If people were honest at work maybe we'd all get paid a bit more.... :)

That. If it was me I'd tell my boss, but only if I knew I wouldn't get found out, as I've been in similar situations before where it hasn't ended well.

Or I'd use Stryder's option 2 trick.
    "A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister
    Married my best friend 1st November 2014
    Loose = the opposite of tight (eg "These trousers feel a little loose")
    Lose = the opposite of find/gain (eg "I'm going to lose weight this year")
  • A.Jones
    A.Jones Posts: 508 Forumite
    Options
    Tell the boss. The company cannot sack them for paying them too much. If it tried, it would cost them much, much more in tribunals.
  • jamespir
    jamespir Posts: 21,456 Forumite
    Options
    i think its best to keep stum to avoid alienating yuour collegeagues and everyone else
    Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
  • UrbanFox
    UrbanFox Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    enbrennan wrote: »
    Only if they refuse to pay the blackmail!
    :rotfl: I like your thinking enbrennan ;)

Seriously though, I don't think I'd shop them - as others have said, they're not exactly being discrete about it, so they're bound to get caught out sooner rather than later.

Theo should just sit tight... their uppance will come!
  • Willowcat_3
    Options
    If Theo doesn't tell he will only continue to be vexed by Wayne & Jermaine's actions. However, W&J are likely to want to know who told on them. Somethings are better left unsaid, but as W&J were stupid enough to blurt out their scam, then you could say they only have themselves to blame if it all goes pear shaped. If Theo is a strong individual who wants to climb the corporate ladder then tell. If he just wants to do the job, get paid and go no further in his career, then probably best to let sleeping dogs lie, after all it won't be too long before someone else gets wind of their deceit.
  • pennypinchUK
    Options
    Rule 1: Never, ever, discuss your salary/benefits with colleagues. It'll only lead to jealously and resentment - either by you or your colleague.

Rule 2: If you've ignored Rule 1, never relay conversations about salary/benefits to others, including your boss. Reasons - it's unlikely to look good on you (it asks questions about your motives for passing on the information), and you probably haven't been told the full story by your colleagues.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure