PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Subsistence cooking equipment

Options

Comments

• Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    seraphina wrote: »
    Could someone post a link to the original thread about B&S in the first post? I can't seem to find it.

Here you go :D
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    edited 7 March 2010 at 6:33PM
    Options
    ceridwen wrote: »
    3 saucepans - Argos Value set of 3 = £6.99
    Kettle - Argos Value £4.78
    Large mixing bowl - £0.59 (from Asda)(or use washing-up bowl)
    2 standard size casserole dishes - £1 each from discount shop
    Can opener - £0.45 (Asda)
    2 chopping boards (1 being for raw meat only) - £1.47 each (Asda)
    Measuring jug - £1 (discount shop)
    Tablespoon - pennies?
    2 baking trays - "begged" for free from butcher or use grillpan of cooker with no handle on
    2 wooden spoons - 20p each (Asda)
    Mechanical kitchen scales - £1.97 (Asda)
    Box grater - £1 (discount shop)
    2 breadbaking tins - £1 each (discount shop)
    Fish slice - pennies?
    Kitchen knives - small/medium/breadknife - Argos Value set of 5 knives = £3.99
    Rolling pin - 95p (Asda)(or P.P.'s "rustic" push and pull pastry into shape manually method:))
    Traybake tin - £1 (discount shop)
    Storage jars - free (recycling jars that bought food comes in/plastic "milkbottles")
    Freezer containers - free (margarine containers/plastic "milkbottles")
    Lemon/orange juicer - £1 (for orange juice etc required in Weezl's recipes)(discount shop)
    Sieve or colander - £1 (discount shop)

Some items on here I have put as £1 - as I know they are available from discount shops for that price. If anyone knows a cheaper (ie Asda) price for them please let me know.

Does that sound like a pretty comprehensive - but DEAD BASIC subsistence level list?

I make that £32.06 plus that tablespoon and fishslice (price unknown) - say £33 in total (if my calculator is correct).

4x 2lb non stick loaf tins for the batch of 4 she has to make every 2-3 days :eek::D

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Interesting to see that SC and BM don;t feature as essential or optional in this list :T

THE O.S. kitchen equipment staples:rotfl:.

Oh well - this IS a Subsistence list. Confession time personally - I have a slowcooker - but very rarely use it (must try harder....). Even bigger confession time - I have a breadmaker (and have never used it - though I've had it QUITE some time:o:o:o - errr...anyone looking to buy an unused Panasonic breadmaker? I could be open to a good offer on it...:o:o:)).

So - I instantly decided Bob & Shirley wouldnt have either of those in their Subsistence Kitchen.

Mind you - if anyone thinks I ought to go away and look up that info. I have stashed away...errr...somewheres....on makeshift haybox cooking ...then let me know....:) (But I rather thought Bob and Shirley wouldnt be interested in that much faff..).
  • ceridwen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 7 March 2010 at 6:42PM
    Options
    hornetgirl wrote: »
    I imagine they would already have a kettle?

So - perhaps I ought to cut out the kettle then? In extremis - they could always use a saucepan of hot water heated up on the cooker.

But I think I will assume they do have a kettle already then - and go back and amend that list.:)
  • Toonie
    Toonie Posts: 1,147 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I don't think a citrus juicer is really essential. I have lots of recipes that require me to juice an orange or lemon and I just cut it in half and then squeeze the juice out, sometimes using a teaspoon to help.
    Grocery budget in 2023 £2279.18/£2700

Grocery budget in 2022 £2304.76/£2400
    Grocery budget in 2021 £2107.86/£2200
    Grocery budget in 2020 £2193.02/£2160

Saving for Christmas 2023 #15 £ 90/ £365
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ceri I cant believe you have a breadmaker you have never used :rotfl: Werent you just a bit curious!?!
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • ceridwen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Right - I have done a few amendments to both essential and optional lists - to take account of comments since ....errr...including rather a lot of loaf tins (allowing for our assumption that Shirley is doing rather a lot of breadbaking).

Of course - she could use those loaf tins to double up as cake tins as well - so maybes I could cut out that traybake tin I put on the list...(though of course the traybake tin could have multiple uses itself....hmmm...).

Whaddya think? Does the traybake tin go or stay? Cast your votes now....:)
  • ceridwen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    lynzpower wrote: »
    Ceri I cant believe you have a breadmaker you have never used :rotfl: Werent you just a bit curious!?!

<cough> mea culpa

<cough> mea (very much) culpa

:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o

...and....errr....do you wanna know about the breadbaking machine cookbooks as well.....<cough>
  • Toonie
    Toonie Posts: 1,147 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I'd keep the traybake, it has multiple uses, especially for cooking larger amounts of foods to fill those hungry teenagers!
    Grocery budget in 2023 £2279.18/£2700

Grocery budget in 2022 £2304.76/£2400
    Grocery budget in 2021 £2107.86/£2200
    Grocery budget in 2020 £2193.02/£2160

Saving for Christmas 2023 #15 £ 90/ £365
  • ceridwen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Toonie wrote: »
    I don't think a citrus juicer is really essential. I have lots of recipes that require me to juice an orange or lemon and I just cut it in half and then squeeze the juice out, sometimes using a teaspoon to help.

Do you feel that using a teaspoon to get out the juice gets it all out as efficiently as a citrus juicer? I know there is that trick of warm the fruit a teeny bit in a microwave first and it releases more juice - but we are assuming Bob & Shirley dont have a microwave.

So - if you feel that a teaspoon wielded with a firm hand does the job just as efficiently as a citrus juicer - then perhaps we should swop that item from the Subsistence list to the Optional Extras list?

Can we have feelings on this as well please peeps:)?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure