PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Subsistence cooking equipment

Options

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ceridwen wrote: »
    Fish slice - pennies?
    I don't even know what a fish slice is .... if I don't know what one is, have never seen one, don't own one, haven't ever used one ... is it an essential?

Off to google it now, find out what one is.

Update: Right, that looks like a spatula to me, for frying ... but you don't have a spatula on your list. So stick a spatula on and drop the fish slice.
  • artybear
    artybear Posts: 978 Forumite
    Options
    I think most families in less formal circumstances just 'plate up' and if we are imagining Bob and Shirley have lived on ready meals/oven baked goods I doubt they would serve them formally.

I don't think serving spoons are needed

XXXX
    In art as in love, instinct is enough
    Anatole France

Things are beautiful if you love them
    Jean Anouilh
  • Toonie
    Toonie Posts: 1,147 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I don't think serving spoons are needed, I have them and we only use them with guests or at Christmas when we put our vegetables and the like in bowls on the table. I also didn't buy the spoons as they were amongst a box of kitchen items my sister gave me when I moved in.

Uolypool-The recipe for the orange and raisin loaf is on the Be-Ro site, under tea loaves-they don't allow you to direct link to the recipes http://www.be-ro.com/f_insp.htm
    Grocery budget in 2023 £2279.18/£2700

Grocery budget in 2022 £2304.76/£2400
    Grocery budget in 2021 £2107.86/£2200
    Grocery budget in 2020 £2193.02/£2160

Saving for Christmas 2023 #15 £ 90/ £365
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 7 March 2010 at 8:01PM
    Options
    I must admit I dont think I've yet come across a kitchen without a fish slice in it.....even chez ceridwen one gets used sometimes - for the odd occasions where I start fancying something like a fried egg sandwich...

I assumed that most people will fry things sometimes -and that a fishslice is necessary to take the items out of the pan and help them "drain" a bit whilst doing so.

Do people think:
    - yes...leave the fishslice in
    - have a spatula instead
    - not bother with either?

I shall go back and delete the citrus juicer - as it seems to be regarded as not strictly necessary by many.

I think perhaps I will add a roasting pan to the Optional list.

I personally never use my set of measuring spoons - but most people feel they are necessary - so I have swopped the tablespoon for a set of measuring spoons.
  • Catseyes777
    Catseyes777 Posts: 95 Forumite
    Options
    Hiya

Really enjoying the debate going on here about various items! I personally feel the fish slice is not an essential... and the same goes for chopping boards: although I own one, I normally just use a plate, so I dont think the chopping board is an essential...
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hiya

Really enjoying the debate going on here about various items! I personally feel the fish slice is not an essential... and the same goes for chopping boards: although I own one, I normally just use a plate, so I dont think the chopping board is an essential...

Hi

Do you mind my asking what you use to get things out of a frypan/turn things like pancakes etc over with and so forth?
  • angeltreats
    angeltreats Posts: 2,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think the fish slice isn't essential as long as you have a spatula. A chopping board is essential though. Really if they're going to cook everything from scratch they should probably have two, for meat and non-meat. I'd rather tear meat into bits with my teeth than put my lovely sharp knife anywhere near a hard granite worktop or china plate!

Even if they've hardly done any cooking they'd be likely to at least have a couple of saucepans already, and a tin opener.

Sorry if I missed it but I didn't see a frying pan on your list, I'd say that's an essential even if only a very cheap one.
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 7 March 2010 at 8:28PM
    Options
    There seems to be a bit of confusion about fish slice... I could be wrong, but i thought fish slice was the technical term for a spatula. A lot of people don't know that's what they are actuallly called? This is what i would call a spatula (which i wouldn't deem as necessary or essential), this is what I have been brought up to believe is a fish slice . I can't understand how anyone could lift a fried egg with that kind of spatula - and believe me I have tried :)

I don't use a lemon juicer...... never have :D

Always use my measuring spoons as they vary quite differently from sub standard table/tea spoon sizes. As Haribo said, I would also class these as essential for accurate results in baking (but i guess it depends how much they bake.....) :)
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• Toonie
    Toonie Posts: 1,147 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I use a fish slice and a spatula all the time and I don't really think that they are so interchangeable, mainly as I had a bad incident when my boyfriend used my spatula for pushing things around a frying pan and it melted the end! He has since be threatened not to touch my new spatula as it is for baking, not for cooking! If he wants to fry something, that is what the fish slice is for.

I noticed a set of five black plastic kitchen tools (fish slice, slotted spoon, serving spoon, spatula and pasta spoon) for £1 today in Poundland if that's of any use to you.
    Grocery budget in 2023 £2279.18/£2700

Grocery budget in 2022 £2304.76/£2400
    Grocery budget in 2021 £2107.86/£2200
    Grocery budget in 2020 £2193.02/£2160

Saving for Christmas 2023 #15 £ 90/ £365
  • rachbc
    rachbc Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    Options
    I'd rather have a deeper roasting tin and no tray bake tin than the other way round - can always half fill a deep tin but can't over fill a shallow one - making the deeper tin more versatile and therefore better value imho
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport