Weezl's phase 1- recipe testing and frugalisation- come one, come all!

Options

Comments

• weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    Poohbear what's your normal pie recipe? Is it suet crust?

And what's your usual filling, and also, sorry for all the questions:o do you use the light or the dark meat of the chicken for it?

xxx

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 7 March 2010 at 11:57AM
    Options
    SusanC wrote: »
    I've never understood why someone would have a dedicated pudding basin - doesn't everyone just use pyrex mixing bowls?
    I have two plastic ones (with lids too!), been with me since I left my mums house, they came free with the bought Christmas puddings ;)- must have been posh ones. Of course as an OS'er I would NEVER buy a bought pudding (very often anyway lol!).
    Right what am I trying today then ? :cool:;):cool:
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    OrkneyStar wrote: »
    Right what am I trying today then ? :cool:;):cool:
    are you having a roast?

If so then a bash at the HM stuffing would be good :) you and frankie could compare and contrast!

If not, did you mean a cakey thingie or a main meal thingie?

So so glad of everyone's help :A:D

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • OrkneyStar
    Options
    ceridwen wrote: »
    We're making good progress on Bob and Shirley's kitchen equipment. I've put up a thread on Old Style on this and the responses are rolling in. Got some helpful suggestions to work with there:D

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=2321795

Reet....Real Life calls....I'll crack on later with that..
    Have replied on there, hth.

• OrkneyStar
    Options
    weezl74 wrote: »

are you having a roast?

If so then a bash at the HM stuffing would be good :) you and frankie could compare and contrast!

If not, did you mean a cakey thingie or a main meal thingie?

So so glad of everyone's help :A:D
    Nah no roast today- we are a non-conformist roast on a weekday sort of household ;)!
    We are having risotto with pea and chorizo (I did wonder the potential for frugalisation but then risotto rice= not so cheap!)....we had a very frugal veg pasta last night which I might have a look at ingredients ;).
    I was thinking maybe to make something for lunch time........or maybe a cake ? Not sure! Will have a lookey at the list again and before making anything, come and check it is a sensible one to try!

• aless02
    aless02 Posts: 5,119 Forumite
    Options
    poohbear59 wrote: »
    Aless Do you think that my frugallity is skewing the figures? My family have had to learn to have less sauce and more carbohydrate. I have done it gradually over the last few months. Just wondered if S and B and kids might find it too much of a jump to use my quantities. I allowed 100g pasta per person and I think fed 5 or 6.

100g per person is generous (we usually do 75g, but I upped it last night for DH's carb load-up), it's the sauce which possibly might need increasing. To feed 4 (so 400g of pasta), I don't think you'd need to double it, but prolly half-again as much in order to achieve lovely, cheesy coating on the pasta...you could leave the cheese at 1oz, methinks, if you wanted to keep the frugality. Also, I used half milk, half water, but I'll bet you can get away with still 1/2pint milk to 3/4pint water (roughly - I just added water until it got to the consistency I wanted), so really the only added expense is 1oz extra butter & flour (pennies, really). I've also made roux with oil if you want to be EXTRA frugal, though I have to say it's not quite as nice.

oh, and more peas otherwise they are only getting 25g each per person, not enough to count as a serving.
    top 2013 wins: iPad, £50 dental care, £50 sportswear, £50 Nectar GC, £300 B&Q GC; jewellery, Bumbo, 12xPringles, 2xDiesel EDT, £25 Morrisons, £50 Loch Fyne

would like to win a holiday, please!!
    :xmassmile Mummy to Finn - 12/09; Micah - 08/12! :j
  • HowlinWolf
    HowlinWolf Posts: 498 Forumite
    Options
    We had cornbeef pie last night. We were going to have cornbeef hash but we'd been talking about pie and it just had to be. It would have fed 4 but we are pigs, there is one very very small piece left.

I sieved one jar of the apple curd this morning - lots and lots of bits of skin and pip in it. I think unless shirley has a very powerful hand blender/liquidiser then she may need to skin and de pip the apples.

It was yummy though, I had mind on a home made seed bread bun and dp had his on ready brek. He did say he wouldn't have it on ready brek again as it didn't go but would be happy to have it on toast or with sausages. Off to do the survey now.

Hmm pasta figures - I would normally do 3/4 of a 500g bag of pasta for two. I guess that makes us the major piggies on this thread. I don't think 100g of pasta would be anything like enough for me.
    Sealed pot member 735
    Frugal Living Challenge 2011
    GC 2011 404.92/2400
  • HowlinWolf
    HowlinWolf Posts: 498 Forumite
    Options
    I was just wondering whether anyone would be able to do one post with links to every recipe in the thread on it. I am having trouble keeping up and though I have copied lots of the recipes into text documents there are lots that I have missed that I now can't find.
    Sealed pot member 735
    Frugal Living Challenge 2011
    GC 2011 404.92/2400
  • poohbear59
    poohbear59 Posts: 4,866 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    weezl74 wrote: »
    Poohbear what's your normal pie recipe? Is it suet crust?

And what's your usual filling, and also, sorry for all the questions:o do you use the light or the dark meat of the chicken for it?

xxx

I usually do a short crust pastry plate pie with a roux sauce containing chicken and sweetcorn. I find with plate pies it is possible to make it go further and the family are happy with a quarter plate size, with potatoes and vegetables.
    The meat type is usually dark with a bit of white too if I have enough enough. I can get two pies easily from the mixture if I am only feeding four.

I then boil the bones and make enough stock to freeze some and then at this time of year make a hearty broth for lunches when the men come in cold and hungry. There is usualy enough meat(by picking the last little pieces off) to be able to put some chicken in the broth. They do play 'search the piece of meat' sometimes but as it is a lunch and it has lots of pulses in it I know it is good food.

I could make my plate pie and use oil and dried milk powder for the sauce to frugalise it.

Roast dinner today is co-op chicken, co-op potatoes, 49p brocolli and cabbage from Aldi, Aldi carrots and HM Yorkshire puddings using our own eggs. I make stuffing from stale bread, 1/2 chopped onion and sage with a bit of oil and hot water added. Gravy is juices from the meat with plain flour and seasoning.
    business mortgage £0))''(+ Barclay's business kitchen loan £0=Total paid off was £96105 PPI claimed and received £13527
    'I had a black dog, his name was depression".
  • poohbear59
    poohbear59 Posts: 4,866 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Just thought I could just as easily make a suet crust pie as well, maybe do one of each?
    business mortgage £0))''(+ Barclay's business kitchen loan £0=Total paid off was £96105 PPI claimed and received £13527
    'I had a black dog, his name was depression".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure