We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

is windows defender any good

Options

Comments

• Millionaire
    Millionaire Posts: 3,748 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ARTHUR wrote: »
    I have just re-read my question what I meant to say is that my mate told me that windows defender would give me real time protection from SPYWARE/MALAWARE, .

It is real-time, but it isn't very good.
  • closed
    closed Posts: 10,886 Forumite
    edited 7 March 2010 at 5:26PM
    Options
    defender is part of mse, if you have vista, you may have defender already.

If you've got avira, you don't really need any more realtime scanners. If avira missed it in the first place, try avast
    !!
    > . !!!! ----> .
  • aliEnRIK
    aliEnRIK Posts: 17,741 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    closed wrote: »
    defender is part of mse, if you have vista, you may have defender already.

If you've got avira, you don't really need any more realtime scanners. If avira missed it in the first place, try avast

Id have to disagree

The only 'free' realtime scanner I know of thats worth anything is PCTOOLS spyware doctor
    The problem with doctor is its very limited in what it would move.
    Avira, Avast, AVG and MSE are all very poor with malware
    :idea:
  • closed
    edited 7 March 2010 at 6:40PM
    Options
    I see no distinction between malware/spyware/virus/trojans etc - If the malware is in their database, there is no reason why a virus scanner can't handle spyware/malware/any infection before it hits the hard disk, it's just another infection/signature, so it all comes down to detection rates, fast turnaround of new signatures, and quality of the scanning engine (most of which scan web traffic nowadays before it gets near the disk engine)
    !!
    > . !!!! ----> .
  • iamcornholio
    iamcornholio Posts: 1,900 Forumite
    Options
    I have windows defender on an Acer netbook. I put it on because its lightweight, free and does not slow the machine down.

I've not had any issues with it, however I only tend to use this netbook for certain things, access certain websites, and am careful what sites I connect to. I would not have just this on my main PC, and use AVG pro instead
  • fiddiwebb
    fiddiwebb Posts: 1,806 Forumite
    Options
    aliEnRIK wrote: »
    Id have to disagree

The only 'free' realtime scanner I know of thats worth anything is PCTOOLS spyware doctor
    The problem with doctor is its very limited in what it would move.
    Avira, Avast, AVG and MSE are all very poor with malware

Not a keen fan of PCTools and yes Avira, Avast, AVG and MSE are all very poor with malware but do an excellent job as AV scanners but were they ever designed to work with malware in the first place?

You can upgrade to the pay for version of Superantispyware which has a real time scanner and I think they have a deal on at the moment for $9.99
  • fiddiwebb
    fiddiwebb Posts: 1,806 Forumite
    Options
    closed wrote: »
    I see no distinction between malware/spyware/virus/trojans etc - If the malware is in their database, there is no reason why a virus scanner can't handle spyware/malware/any infection before it hits the hard disk, it's just another infection/signature, so it all comes down to detection rates, and quality of the scanning engine (most of which scan web traffic nowadays)

But there is not one scanner as far as I'm aware that will do all of that, if there was then we would all be using it.
  • closed
    edited 7 March 2010 at 6:30PM
    Options
    All the decent ones should scan for everything. The distinction between the different types is just marketing. Putting a second product on there, will just slow your pc down, because everything is scanned twice.

http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download#tab2
    !!
    > . !!!! ----> .
  • spud17
    spud17 Posts: 4,402 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You can upgrade to the pay for version of Superantispyware which has a real time scanner and I think they have a deal on at the moment for $9.99
    Yes, it's a permanent 'today only' sale. ;)

But still a useful product to have alongside Malwarebytes and SpyBot.
    Move along, nothing to see.
  • aliEnRIK
    aliEnRIK Posts: 17,741 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    fiddiwebb wrote: »
    Not a keen fan of PCTools and yes Avira, Avast, AVG and MSE are all very poor with malware but do an excellent job as AV scanners but were they ever designed to work with malware in the first place?

Totally agree, just pointing out the only free one I know of thats worth anything
    :idea:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family