What does it mean when dogs stand and stare at the floor

Options
13»

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,769 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mine does it when she's about to throw up everywhere - gives just enough time to get the newspaper under her nose.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    How old is your dog? Has he any health problems. I would worry that this is a petit mal and he may be either becoming senile or developing neurological problems. Or it may be a collie thing as they are very intelligent dogs and can become anxiety prone if they arent leading the very active working life that they were bred for. Either way, a trip to the vet is definitely called for.
  • trudij
    trudij Posts: 1,905 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Maisy does this a lot - she goes into trances and just stares - none of us can work out what at though.

Shes a Golden Retriever - do gundogs do it too? Shes only almost 2 though - so I hope its not serious !!!
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup
  • elfen
    elfen Posts: 10,213 Forumite
    Options
    All of the ones I've grown up with have done this to some extent - it's usualy a smell or a shadow or a bug or a bit of light - something they didn't exepct and are just stood there thinking "!!!!!!?" as we do when we see things that ain't usually there.
    ** Total debt: £6950.82 ± May NSDs 1/10 **
    ** Fat Bum Shrinking: -7/56lbs **
    **SPC 2012 #1498 -£152 and 1499 ***
    I do it all because I'm scared.
  • loulou123
    loulou123 Posts: 1,183 Forumite
    Options
    Id agree that it could be petit mals, but then knowing collies it could be just about anything else as well!

My last dog - a bearded collie x spaniel used to stare at the floor for ages wagging his tail, but only in evening when lights were on.......took us months to work out he was watching the shadows of his own ears!! lol.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure