Tipping at funerals

Options
Difficult to judge forum to put this one in but guessed here as it is a family issue.

Funeral of partner's father on friday and she wondered what the etiquette is about tipping the funeral people. I havent seen this done at funerals but we wondered what others had done/seen.

Thanks.....mallard

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,831 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No, dont even think about it.
    Donations in place of floweres - put it in the plate on going out, they usually have one either for the church or for a charity chosen by the family.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • mallard
    mallard Posts: 265 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes - are doing donations for Macmillan nurses but it was more about whether the funeral staff are given a tip?
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hell no, they make enough as it is. A funeral is not the place to be worried about tips.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • busiscoming2
    busiscoming2 Posts: 4,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No I have never seen or heard any evidence of this happening and in my opinion would be in very bad taste. Better to write or telephone afterwards and express gratitude that way. A sort of 'Thank you' card.
  • jillymit
    jillymit Posts: 572 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've never heard of this either, cash tipping does seem a little inappropriate on the day IMHO but if you want to show your appreciation there is nothing to stop you sending a card with a few words of thanks or a small gift to the funeral directors after the day, especially if you are pleased with the service you have received.
    Do what you feel is right for you or if it's what the departed would have wanted.
  • *Louise*
    *Louise* Posts: 9,197 Forumite
    Options
    At my daughters funeral I was in no state to care about such things but my mum organised that the grave diggers were given a £5 tip and £20 was put in a card for the vicar which went to his charity.

I thought it was a little inappropriate, and that there was other things to worry about, but all our parents seemed to think it was the done thing. It was all very discreet so no one other than myself or my parents knew about it, certainly none of the other people attending.

However, if it's not something that you want to do, then don't do it. It's like the hairdresser/taxi driver - some tip them, some don't, it's a personal preference.
    Cross Stitch Cafe member No. 3
    2012 170-194 2013 195-207.Hello Kitty ballerina 208.AVA 209.OLIVIA 210.ELLA 211.CARLA 212.LOUISE 213.CHARLEY 214.Mother & Child 215.Stop Faffing Completed 2014 216.Stitchers Sampler. 217.Let Them Be Small 218.Keep Calm 219. Ups and downs 220. Annniversary piece 221. 2x Teachers gifts 222. Peacock 223. Tooth Fairy 224. Beth Birth pic 225. Circe the Sorceress Cards x 24
  • Fitzio
    Fitzio Posts: 2,199 Forumite
    Options
    I don't think you need to tip the funeral directors. If you were going for tea somewhere afterwards then it's fair enough to leave money for the waiters/catering staff, but I wouldn't think it's necessary either as they would understand your mind is on more important things.
  • Surfbabe
    Surfbabe Posts: 2,281 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My mums funeral was last week - we didn't tip the funeral directors but I have a sent a card thanking them - and have paid the outrageously large bill !!!!
  • belfastgirl23
    belfastgirl23 Posts: 8,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Our undertakers told us who you had to pay what - gravediggers are paid in cash apparently, the altarboys got maybe £5 each and the priest got (I think) £30. I just gave this in cash to the undertaker and he handled it. A tip to the undertaker or caterer doesn't seem appropriate to me...
  • tattoed_bum
    tattoed_bum Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    Options
    I do remember my gandparents funeral ,and a donation was given to the church and we gave the grave diggers £10 each in an envelope
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure