PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Wild Living ... No Renting, No Buying, No Selling ...

Options

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    elona wrote: »
    Pastures

When we were looking for our retirement car a few months ago, we contacted loads of garages to get the best deal on a Bipper Tepee.

We ended up with a better deal for a brand new one with extras than we had for a demo model. Think it's because the garage is up North (drive 20 miles and you would be in the sea) and is not in a place where people go past regularly. If you want to know the name p.m. me.

Have you read the Alan Bennett (true) story "The lady in the van?"
    I've added the Bipper Tepee to my list of "might be what I want" cars. On first glance, this seems to be similar to the Fiat Qubo for size .... which I thought might be a bit small.

One odd criteria I have is "can you hang a dress up", interview clothes..... I measured and 118cm from hanging point to the floor is needed for this. Qubo didn't quite measure up.

There don't seem to be many Bippers listed for sale online ... I'll keep looking, see what I come up with.

No, I haven't read the book. I can't read :)
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    I'm sat here and it's peeing down outside.... and I am in a lean to with a polycarbonate roof.... blimey it's loud. So, I am sitting in here to think: "If I were in the van right now, and it were raining, and I had no electricity .... where'd I be, what'd I be doing. That's the trouble with a van, you've not actually got the "home comforts" of a camper van.... but I just don't have the confidence that I'd buy one that wasn't a heap of sluggish junk, a pain to drive and park .... oh decisions, decisions.... I can't actually make personal decisions easily.

:(

I am starting to think about what I am trying to achieve .... and I don't think it is to LIVE in the van, just to have that as a last resort option, so I'm mobile.

Access to electricity will be a pain. I can stay on sites with leccy, I can get a special lead for that from camping shops. This really means getting an awning/tent and having to put it up as you can't sit in the back of a van with the window open for the lead in all weathers.... I was looking at big 4-man Dome pop up tents last night. Cheap and small storage space required. Overall, though, buying electricity through a hookup pitch can be quite pricey, with many charging £2-3/night it's certainly more than I'd spend on electricity running a whole house.

This is where things fail in England: the bl00dy weather.
  • fc123
    fc123 Posts: 6,573 Forumite
    Options
    I'm sat here and it's peeing down outside.... and I am in a lean to with a polycarbonate roof.... blimey it's loud. So, I am sitting in here to think: "If I were in the van right now, and it were raining, and I had no electricity .... where'd I be, what'd I be doing. That's the trouble with a van, you've not actually got the "home comforts" of a camper van.... but I just don't have the confidence that I'd buy one that wasn't a heap of sluggish junk, a pain to drive and park .... oh decisions, decisions.... I can't actually make personal decisions easily.

:(

I am starting to think about what I am trying to achieve .... and I don't think it is to LIVE in the van, just to have that as a last resort option, so I'm mobile.

Access to electricity will be a pain. I can stay on sites with leccy, I can get a special lead for that from camping shops. This really means getting an awning/tent and having to put it up as you can't sit in the back of a van with the window open for the lead in all weathers.... I was looking at big 4-man Dome pop up tents last night. Cheap and small storage space required. Overall, though, buying electricity through a hookup pitch can be quite pricey, with many charging £2-3/night it's certainly more than I'd spend on electricity running a whole house.

This is where things fail in England: the bl00dy weather.

Seriously for a mo....A Tent?

OK, today I did the school pick up and took pics ...but bad as sea mist had come in and DD wouldn't get out of the car to take pics, with swishy houses behind fairly grim van....it was all...Muuum are you a nutter?
    I have to go out to cinema now, but will try and load up tomo....anyway....looked at numberplate and Belgium so just holiday makers....or could be owned by poeple visiting someone in swishy house. But swishy houses have driveways for several vehicles....so I think they are having a mini break.

There is a field at bottom of my garden on the cliff top and a tent was there last weekend..and I saw the occupant....he looked very smart.....I haven't walked down since then so I will find out if he is having a hol or has moved in.

I also went to photograph the other 3 vans today as I went to PO and all have gone (!) though the squatters seem to have had another 10 persons move in the other day....they occupy 2 houses.

You know what, I write this, I read it back and I have 3 near neighbours all trying to sell for over a million at the mo...and 3 beds only. I think the wolrd has gone a bit gaga.
  • fc123
    edited 26 March 2010 at 9:05PM
    Options
    vanedit.jpg]Ok my 1st attempt at loading own photo onto MSE.

?action=view&current=vanedit.jpg

Not working...I loaded to photo bucket and got link? Can't work out what I am doing wrong and got no time to work it out right now...will try later unless anyone can type me out a step by step?
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    fc123 wrote: »
    ?action=view&current=vanedit.jpg
    That works. That's a LOT bigger than I had in mind ...

I've had a change of plan .... but I don't want to say anything about it here for 2-3 weeks because I want to see how things turn out ... but, I've shortlisted preferred vehicles, even though I've only ever seen photos of them on t'Internet. Nearest are always 200 miles away :)
  • fc123
    Options
    That works. That's a LOT bigger than I had in mind ...

I've had a change of plan .... but I don't want to say anything about it here for 2-3 weeks because I want to see how things turn out ... but, I've shortlisted preferred vehicles, even though I've only ever seen photos of them on t'Internet. Nearest are always 200 miles away :)

How comes I can only see a red cross?

Change of plan:)...hope it goes OK...every option is worth at try.
  • fc123
    Options
    Yay...i had to remove the ING bits.
  • fc123
    Options
    Well...for research I went down to the field to ask the man in the tent why he was living there and he'd gone.

I took another pic as the travellers have pitched up in the park Their caravans are luxe and enormous plus they all have vans. I am going to try and load it now.
  • fc123
    Options
    002.jpg
  • dopester
    dopester Posts: 4,890 Forumite
    edited 31 October 2010 at 12:06PM
    Options
    Great pics fc. Good of you to keep this thread in mind, armed with camera, to take the motorhome pic. That motorhome, obviously I can only see part of it, but it looks pretty cool. Probably a very comfortable mobile set-up for fulltime living. Someone actually doing it out there for real.

It seems to me the fulltime traveller groups prefer caravan solutions, as in your other pic.

This mobile fulltime living... so many variables to consider. On one hand PN would like some space and homely comforts (which I fully understand). Then sees other advantages of different smaller solutions... including those which can be towed by car. Caravan versus motorhome.

Those teardrop style trailer things though are really too small for practical full time living don't you think PN, day after day, night after night. I recall you want some space for your gear as well, including clothes. Are they winterized? Can you connect and carry gas/power?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport