MSE News: Maximise your savings as inflation bites

Comments

• D1zzy
    D1zzy Posts: 1,500 Forumite
    edited 5 March 2010 at 12:48PM
    There is no way that MSE should be headlining
    5.9% savings equivalent for basic rate taxpayers (7.8% higher rate)
    Lock cash in for 3 years with NS&I's index linked savings & get inflation plus 1% = 4.7% TAX-FREE :eek:
    even with the caveats in the article text. Its just not true!

The clear implication from the headline is that you are looking at the equivalent of a 3 year fixed rate savings acc, and that's just irresponsible-given the wide range of expertise or lack of it in the people who use this site.

I know - caveat emptor and all that - still irresponsible headlining -and disappointing given the good advice normally provided :(
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Reaper wrote: »
    However I think I am right in saying the lowest it has ever been is +0.7% in which case the current +1% rate is nothing special.

My memory isn't the best but I am pretty sure that long ago there were issues paying RPI increases + 0%.
    As recently as 2008 they were paying RPI increases + 0.25% & 0.35% for 3 and 5 years respectively.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Index-linked_Savings_Certificates
  • fragster
    fragster Posts: 385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Oops, starting to think I may have made a mistake here. I rather foolishly (perhaps?) moved all my savings from an ISA to NS&I 3 year, now I'm only 25 so that's not a whole lot but the 4.7% grabbed my attention, I know my HSBC ISA has been giving me negligable interest (just worked it out apparently 0.2% PA) so I don't think this will do me any harm on that front but I do wonder if perhaps I could have invested this better.
  • keet83
    keet83 Posts: 226 Forumite
    fragster wrote: »
    Oops, starting to think I may have made a mistake here. I rather foolishly (perhaps?) moved all my savings from an ISA to NS&I 3 year, now I'm only 25 so that's not a whole lot but the 4.7% grabbed my attention, I know my HSBC ISA has been giving me negligable interest (just worked it out apparently 0.2% PA) so I don't think this will do me any harm on that front but I do wonder if perhaps I could have invested this better.

maybe have chosen to move it into a better FRISA, there are a few around like nationwide's 3 year at 4.4%. maybe its just under the NS&I interest rate now, however likes been getting said on this post, at least the FRISA is guaranteed.like ken robinson says, we shouldn't be scared to make mistakes, its the only way we learn.
    [STRIKE]Beggars cant be choosers, but savers can![/STRIKE]
    That used to be the case :mad:
  • westmax
    westmax Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 5 March 2010 at 3:15PM
    For what it's worth, I now use these index linked certs as a home for medium term emergency funds. My plan is to buy every six months, for three years, until I have stashed away the sum I have in mind. Thereafter, there will be a certificate maturing every six months which I can either roll-over, spend, or re-direct elsewhere if interest rates really take off. In the meantime, at least these savings will keep up with inflation. And as a HRT payer, the tax-free status is another bonus.

I visualize this as a sort of "water wheel with buckets", revolving over a three year cycle and pouring out every six months. Might be daft, but it has helped me semi-automate this bit of my savings. The same thing could of course be done with any savings account, but by having something mature every six months, it sort of forces you to make a decision and look at the best home for the savings.
  • keet83
    westmax wrote: »
    For what it's worth, I now use these index linked certs as a home for medium term emergency funds. My plan is to buy every six months, for three years, until I have stashed away the sum I have in mind. Thereafter, there will be a certificate maturing every six months which I can either roll-over, spend, or re-direct elsewhere if interest rates really take off. In the meantime, at least these savings will keep up with inflation. And as a HRT payer, the tax-free status is another bonus.

I visualize this as a sort of "water wheel with buckets", revolving over a three cycle and pouring out every six months. Might be daft, but it has helped me semi-automate this bit of my savings. The same thing could of course be done with any savings account, but by having something mature every six months, it sort of forces you to make a decision and look at the best home for the savings.

i never thought of it that way, it may be worth doing something like that when i have some spare money to do it with, i dont think i could do it just now though as in a months time i can dump most of my savings in a cash ISA with the new £5200 limit :)
  • Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    alanq wrote: »
    My memory isn't the best but I am pretty sure that long ago there were issues paying RPI increases + 0%.
    As recently as 2008 they were paying RPI increases + 0.25% & 0.35% for 3 and 5 years respectively.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Index-linked_Savings_Certificates
    Obviously my memory is a lot worse than yours! Thanks for the info.
  • Jonbvn
    Jonbvn Posts: 5,562 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    westmax wrote: »

I visualize this as a sort of "water wheel with buckets", revolving over a three year cycle and pouring out every six months. Might be daft, but it has helped me semi-automate this bit of my savings. The same thing could of course be done with any savings account, but by having something mature every six months, it sort of forces you to make a decision and look at the best home for the savings.

What you are doing is very sensible. It is very similar to something called a "bond ladder."

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/02/120202.asp
    In case you hadn't already worked it out - the entire global financial system is predicated on the assumption that you're an idiot:cool:
  • Jonbvn
    Jonbvn Posts: 5,562 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    keet83 wrote: »
    a cash ISA with the new £5200 limit :)

The limit is £5100.:money:
    In case you hadn't already worked it out - the entire global financial system is predicated on the assumption that you're an idiot:cool:
  • keet83
    yeah i keep doing that, dont know why i keep thinking £200; maybe cos its a more even number
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family