Best way to destroy documents

Options

Comments

• vaio
    vaio Posts: 12,287 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yep, bank & card statements go in a ring binder file, when it’s is full the oldest year goes in the bin, same for the rest of the bills etc, keep them for a while then into the bin they go.

OH once had a card cloned but that was traced to a dodgy garage attendant who was doing something wicked with a second card reader. When we realised that we’d hadn’t bought a £2k central heating system from 200 miles away. We contacted the bank and they refunded within 3 days together with probably 10 other transactions that we hadn’t noticed initially because they were only 10 or 20 quid each.

The cynic in me the panicking is a conspiracy driven by the shredder industry and that that vulnerabilities in the banking systems (second card readers like above, outsourcing data processing to insecure third world countries, less banks & more skimming prone cash points on the street etc etc) are way more of a risk than bank statements in the bin.

Any of the above could easily get lots and lots of valid up to date card details very quickly. Any bank statement we throw away is at least a year or two out of date and I struggle to see what use they would be to anyone.

We give all sorts of details every time we buy something over the phone or by cheque, sort codes, account numbers, card numbers, security codes, names addresses etc etc

Anyone actually had anything bad happen as a result throwing away bank stuff or similar?

• hoyles10
    hoyles10 Posts: 1,283 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas everyone, i've just cut the name and address details and any other information people might find useful and i'll burn it in one go tomorrow.

As for the question about has anyone had anything bad happen to them through putting stuff in the bin, I personally haven't although i've had a couple of cards cloned and my car registration copied, but my best mate got a call from the police in November saying that some documents belonging to him had been seized in a raid and did he have any knowledge about the people who had these documents and how they could have got hold of them.

It turns out that it was some stuff he had put in his paper recycling bin whilst he was having a clear out ready for Christmas. Don't know what they were doing with them though. They also had details of one of his neighbours as well.
    If At First You Don't Succeed, Call It Version 1.0 :D
  • savingmummy
    savingmummy Posts: 2,915 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I dont have a shredder nor a garden to burn things important!
    What i do is put the paperwork in a bowl of water then screw them into balls and dry overnnight.

Impossible to open and read.
    DebtFree FEB 2010!
    Slight blip in 2013 - Debtfree Aug 2014 :j

Savings £132/£1000.
  • babyshoes
    babyshoes Posts: 1,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Our shredded paper goes into the compost bin at the allotment.

It is boring shredding loads of paper, but it unfortunately needs doing, at least for things with account numbers on them and such. Don't bother about common knowledge stuff like name and address - our shredder would burn out in a month!
    Trust me - I'm NOT a doctor!
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Butterfly_Brain Posts: 8,862 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Post of the Month
    Options
    Astec wrote: »
    Bit saddened by all this non-recycling :-(

Personally, anything non-confidential goes in paper recycling, I rip out details on rest and take them to work as we have locked confidential recycling bins.

I thought it'd be common for most offices?

The Ash from the fire pit goes on my roses or tomato plants they love it
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • angelavdavis
    angelavdavis Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I shred everything and use it as bedding for the chickens! There is a sad satisfaction that I get thinking of my old bank statements and tax bills covered in chicken poop!

I then put it in the compost heap so it rots down and goes on the garden.
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    Names and addresses, no. But do you seriously leave your bank statements intact when disposing of them? That gives your name, address, account number and sort code (plus all your transaction details, direct debits etc). Quite a useful start to anyone wanting to clone your identity.

dunno about your statements, but mine have all the personal info at the top.
    simple matter to rip that bit off.
    i couldnt care less about the rest of it.

apart from maybe the 50 quid i spent at the sexy sarah sauna parlour.
    Get some gorm.
  • hoyles10
    hoyles10 Posts: 1,283 Forumite
    Options
    ormus wrote: »
    dunno about your statements, but mine have all the personal info at the top.
    simple matter to rip that bit off.
    i couldnt care less about the rest of it.

apart from maybe the 50 quid i spent at the sexy sarah sauna parlour.
    :rotfl:

You mean you're not on the 40 quid special rate then?? :D:D
    If At First You Don't Succeed, Call It Version 1.0 :D
  • mutley74
    mutley74 Posts: 4,022 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    importmant info i sometimes shred..then place the shredded paper in the paper recycling bin.
    sometimes i place receipts (torn in bits) that have credit card info in an old envelope and add some water to mash it up...then pop into recycle bin.
    Burning may solve problem but not very green for the environment!
  • OddjobKIA
    OddjobKIA Posts: 6,380 Forumite
    Options
    Um Id put it in the normal rubbish and not put it out untill the collecting lorry comes up the road.....

either that or just shred as you go....
    THE SHABBY SHABBY FOUNDER
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family