Virgin Mobile unethical charges scam

Options
I have been with virgin mobile for 6 years.

On joining Virgin Mobile I switched off the answering service and this was to save callers leaving messages at their cost and a cost incurred by myself to receive the deposited message.

This works well for me and my callers as it saves ringing back and possibly then obtaining their answering/message box.

Now I find that whilst Virgin have kept my answering service off they now reply with an automated voice message inviting the caller to send a "FREE" text to my number saying the caller has tried to contact me.The voice message says press 1 to send the "FREE" text message.

It is not free to the caller as the caller gets charged.

Even if the caller does not press 1 for the "FREE" text message the caller still gets charged.

I have called my own number from several network phones and the charge is debited at the minimum call charge rate for whatever network tariff the caller may be on.

Contacting Virgin Mobile they say that the charge is because the call was 'connected'

It appears that Virgin Mobile have scrapped the barrel for moral ethics in this case.

You can switch off this new 'Unsolicited SERVICE' by texting STOP to 4567
Think not what MSE.com can do for you but what you can do for MSE

Comments

• daggy
    daggy Posts: 1,167 Forumite
    Options
    crocker wrote: »
    I have been with virgin mobile for 6 years.

On joining Virgin Mobile I switched off the answering service and this was to save callers leaving messages at their cost and a cost incurred by myself to receive the deposited message.

This works well for me and my callers as it saves ringing back and possibly then obtaining their answering/message box.

Now I find that whilst Virgin have kept my answering service off they now reply with an automated voice message inviting the caller to send a "FREE" text to my number saying the caller has tried to contact me.The voice message says press 1 to send the "FREE" text message.

It is not free to the caller as the caller gets charged.

Even if the caller does not press 1 for the "FREE" text message the caller still gets charged.

I have called my own number from several network phones and the charge is debited at the minimum call charge rate for whatever network tariff the caller may be on.

Contacting Virgin Mobile they say that the charge is because the call was 'connected'

It appears that Virgin Mobile have scrapped the barrel for moral ethics in this case.

You can switch off this new 'Unsolicited SERVICE' by texting STOP to 4567

The text bit is very shambolic, as is the call charge... surely they should have an option to just have your phone ring until they hang up...
    blah silly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport