Carers Allowance and Attendance Allowance

Options
Hello all, looking for some advice for a family member.

Her mother has now moved in with her as her other daughter has moved into her house (long, horrid story). Anyway, she's going to have to give up work to care for her mother (diabetes, over 80, very forgetful).

Her husband continues to work on a good salary (over 30k a year, maybe approaching 40k but I am not sure)

I would like to know if her mother is approved for attendance allowance can she still claim carers allowance even with her husband on a good salary? She too earns quite a bit now I believe and whilst they won't be financially screwed if she stops work, they certainly won't have the lifestyle they do now and I am worried about them :(

I've advised them to stop giving money to their student son but they refuse to do that (even though other family members can chip in and he lives with his girlfriend).

Anyway, basically my question is.. how means tested is carer's allowance?!

Thanks for any help as this is stressing me out for them
Kavanne
Nuns! Nuns! Reverse!

'I do my job, do you do yours?'

Comments

• Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Carers allowance is only based on what the person claiming it earns. You can't earn more than £95 per week after deductions. Savings are also ignored.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • kazzah60
    kazzah60 Posts: 752 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    As far as i am aware the only means taken into account are wages earned by the claimant for carers allowance - her husbands salary is not counted
    do be aware that your Mother must get AA at the middle or higher rate in order for your sister to qualify for the payments.
    At the moment your sister can earn £95 per week and still claim carers allowance - this will be rising at some point in April
    hth
    Karen
  • Kavanne
    Kavanne Posts: 5,093 Forumite
    Options
    Cool thanks guys I will let her know (ps she not my sister!)
    Kavanne
    Nuns! Nuns! Reverse!

• kingfisherblue
    Options
    kazzah60 wrote: »
    Hi
    As far as i am aware the only means taken into account are wages earned by the claimant for carers allowance - her husbands salary is not counted
    do be aware that your Mother must get AA at the middle or higher rate in order for your sister to qualify for the payments.
    At the moment your sister can earn £95 per week and still claim carers allowance - this will be rising at some point in April
    hth
    Karen

AA only has two rates - the lower rate is equivilent to the middle rate of DLA and the higher rate is the same as the higher rate of DLA. CA can be claimed if caring for somebody either on the middle or higher rate of DLA or either rate of AA.

CA does not take household income into account - only the income of the person claiming. The person claiming must also be caring for the elderly lady for at least 35 hours a week. They must not be studying full time and cannot earn more than £95 a week.
  • nor should they be claiming state pension if they want to claim CA as its an overlapping benefit
  • Wildside
    Wildside Posts: 1,220 Forumite
    edited 28 February 2010 at 11:23PM
    Options
    Carer’s allowance is £53.10 a week at the moment, will increase slightly in April.

You can't get Carer's Allowance if you earn more than £95 a week after tax (this amount may be increased slightly in April) or if you are studying 21 hours or more.

Savings are not taken into account or the partner's income.

Any rate of Attendance allowance is ok but you need to be caring for that person for at least 35 hours a week.
  • Kavanne
    Kavanne Posts: 5,093 Forumite
    Options
    woodbine wrote: »
    nor should they be claiming state pension if they want to claim CA as its an overlapping benefit

She's only 40 (mum is 80) or are you saying the mum can't have attendance allowance as well as state pension?
    Kavanne
    Nuns! Nuns! Reverse!

• P4ula
    P4ula Posts: 53 Forumite
    Options
    Kavanne wrote: »
    She's only 40 (mum is 80) or are you saying the mum can't have attendance allowance as well as state pension?

No. It is with regard to the carer. A carer cannot claim Carers Allowance and State Pension at the same time.

Your mum can have her Attendance Allowance and State Pension.

The only thing your mum might lose is any Severe Disability Premium added onto means tested benefits such as IS/Pension Credit, Housing Benefit etc if your mum claims any of these and someone claims carers allowance for looking after her.

Paula
  • Wildside
    Wildside Posts: 1,220 Forumite
    edited 1 March 2010 at 3:38PM
    Options
    P4ula wrote: »
    No. It is with regard to the carer. A carer cannot claim Carers Allowance and State Pension at the same time.

Your mum can have her Attendance Allowance and State Pension.

The only thing your mum might lose is any Severe Disability Premium added onto means tested benefits such as IS/Pension Credit, Housing Benefit etc if your mum claims any of these and someone claims carers allowance for looking after her.

Paula

Your mum would only be entitled to Severe Disability Premium if she was living alone. As she is living with you she would not get this any way.

To get SDP need to be getting some Pension Credit (income based, not just the savings credit part), be living alone (unless the people living with her also get certain disability benefits) and no body is claiming carers allowance for caring for her.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Wildside wrote: »
    Carer’s allowance is £53.10 a week at the moment, will increase slightly in April.

You can't get Carer's Allowance if you earn more than £95 a week after tax (this amount may be increased slightly in April) or if you are studying 21 hours or more.

Savings are not taken into account or the partner's income.

Any rate of Attendance allowance is ok but you need to be caring for that person for at least 35 hours a week.

the £95 wont be increased in april
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport