PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What can I replace this with? Alternatives and substitutions.

Options

Comments

• zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi Emmwri

Sorry I am unable to help - I have never cooked with chicken livers, so hopefully someone will be on soon with ideas. I'd hate to mis advise you :)

I will add this to the existing thread later - what can i replace this with - to keep all the suggestions together

Thanks
    Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• MrsBartolozzi
    MrsBartolozzi Posts: 6,358 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I've only had chicken livers once, but they bear little resemblance to chicken breast either in taste, looks or texture. I'm not sure I'd recommend the substitution tbh.

You should cook liver quickly as it can get tough and rubbery if overcooked.

It's only a game
    ~*~*~ We're only here to dream ~*~*~
  • patchwork_cat
    patchwork_cat Posts: 5,874 Forumite
    edited 4 March 2010 at 3:16PM
    Options
    Agree with Mrs Bartolozzi - they are quite different to chicken breast and I really wouldn't recommend using them instead. However having said that I have just googled chicken liver stroganoff and their are plenty of recipes, so maybe it is a recipe that works with allsorts of protein each one making quite a different dish, so for stroganoff, chicken livers look as if they would work, but don't expect it to be like chicken breast stroganoff.

For timings and quantity maybe this could help http://www.recipezaar.com/Chicken-Liver-Stroganoff-31868
  • valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've only had chicken livers once, but they bear little resemblance to chicken breast either in taste, looks or texture. I'm not sure I'd recommend the substitution tbh.

I agree. I can't quite see chicken liver curry being all that successful tbh. A cooked chicken liver will have the texture of solid pate rather than meat, and also it would only need five minutes cooking at the most to get to this stage. I just have this vision of it sort of melting into the sauce if it was cooked for longer, to create a sort of liver slurry.
    Val.
  • emmwri
    emmwri Posts: 60 Forumite
    Options
    Oh dear, sounds like tea will not be a success tonight! Off to make it soon.
    Thanks everyone for your replies and thanks to patchwork cat for the recipe, this is similar to the recipe I have that uses the chicken breasts but with a much shorter cooking time so I'm going to go for the short cooking time and see how I get on.

Emma xx
    Aug 2017 GC Budget £180
  • emmwri
    emmwri Posts: 60 Forumite
    Options
    Thought I'd pop back on and let everyone know how I got on!
    I sauteed (sp?) leeks in butter then added the chicken livers sprinkled with flour for few mins then added mushrooms, cream, chopped parsley and white wine and let it simmer for another few mins. Served with rice. The sauce was nice, quite rich but I wasn't keen on the texture of the liver. This was the first time I've had offal so wasn't sure what to expect. I didn't mind the taste but really didn't like the texture, probably part of it was in my mind though because I knew it was liver and when I was growing up offal was seen as disgusting in my parents house. So half a success and half a fail for me!

Emma xx
    Aug 2017 GC Budget £180
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi Emmwri

At least you tried. Nothing ventured nothing gained :)

I'll merge the threads now you have your answer

thanks
    Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• dreamywings1
    Options
    my son is making a stir fry at school and the recipe says Pak Choi.......what could we use as a substitute?

Thanks in advance
    total debt at LBM £4800
    Debt as of Mar 2016 £1790 Hope to be debt free July 2016:eek:
    Sealed pot challenge number 552
  • tubbee2
    tubbee2 Posts: 147 Forumite
    Options
    we use spinach.. but I think you can try any green leafy veg
    Artificial intelligence - no match for natural stupidity
  • MrsChaos
    MrsChaos Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Chinese leaves/cabbage (I think that's what it's called)? Most supermarkets have it and it's cheaper than pak choi.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure