PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

March 2010 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Options
    2 NSDs in a row for me! Yeah!!
    Bought some reduced prepared veg on tuesday to make some soup with - it was disgusting!! Don't know what was in there, but def not my cup of tea! That's a whole 77p wasted!
    Spent just over £12 in Asda tues, so over my budget now.
    Oh well... at least i made it last month!
    PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • Maisie_M
    Maisie_M Posts: 1,524 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Spend this month so far is £25.63 so should be okay this month. Trying to run down store cupboards and freezers as still have lots that I bought in January in the post xmas sales.

Have had 5 NSD in a row:jwhich really helps keep my budgets under control. May have to get some milk and bread tomorrow but I am going to see if I can hold off until Saturday. Made a savoury mince on sunday which did DS for tea with a jacket potato (I had a chilli from the freezer on mine) and I have frozen 6 more portions for him. Also did a lamb casserole yesterday which fed three and possibly three portions for the freezer for DS as I have two sets of lamb steaks to use up which will do OH and I when he has the casserole.

Will hopefully get a chicken casserole done this week and that gives me a good stack of home made frozen meals again which go quick quickly when I am working.
  • BigMummaF
    BigMummaF Posts: 4,281 Forumite
    Options
    Spent over a third of my budget which I suppose is about right for over a third of the way thru the month, but £93 sounds an awful lot more than that :o Unfortunately too much of that is the offer on a certain 'corner' yoghurt, but I'm taking the veiw that even tho not a lower fat variety, they're still better for me than a packet of biscuits :D

Anyhooz..just wanted to say that MrT own label cornflakes--NOT the value ones--in 750g size, have gone DOWN by 14p :T It wasn't a yellow SEL or special offer, so here's hoping it's a price that will be staying a while.
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• slowandsteady_2
    Options
    Hi!

£2 spend today on two packs of An*hor butter today, im sick of throwing away bread as we dont eat too much, so did bread and butter pudding with unopened bag of value dried fruit too i had left from xmas, i cant stand bread and butter pudding or dried fruit so have made it for my dad and will take it tommorow along with some home made soup i have done today.

Will update sig

Night all
  • Keiss_21
    Keiss_21 Posts: 2,652 Forumite
    Options
    Just popping in to say that today ended up a spend day...:mad:

No food bought today though, so GC is safe...75% of budget spent and only 35.5% through the month! Still, shouldn't need much more before the end of the month other than milk, F&V. Mind you, it is DH's birthday next week and we usuially buy some nice meat from the butchers...will see what's on offer ar the supermarkets on Monday first though. Mind you even the butchers (should!) be cheaper than going out for a meal!

DH and DS2 are off to Scotland tomorrow for DS2's first training weekend...so it's just me at home over the weekend. I am out for both dinner AND tea on Sunday, and I am not paying for either...RESULT!

Off to bed soon as the boys are leaving about 5.30 tomorrow morning :eek::eek:! I think I will crawl back to bed for a few more hours of sleep after they have gone, before getting up properly!

Night, night everyone.

13 projects in 2013: 7/13
    Cross-stitch Club Member no 13
    Weight loss since 24/06/2012: 30lb
  • Keiss_21
    Keiss_21 Posts: 2,652 Forumite
    Options
    I'm sick of throwing away bread as we dont eat too much, so did bread and butter pudding with unopened bag of value dried fruit too i had left from xmas, i cant stand bread and butter pudding or dried fruit so have made it for my dad and will take it tommorow along with some home made soup i have done today.
    Oh slowandsteady, I love bread and butter pudding! Only now I don't make it with any butter or spread, that bit healthier, and no-one seems to mind. If you don't go through so much bread, why not freeze half a loaf, (or more) and only take out what you need...it doesn't take long to defrost and will save you wasting any bread. I tend to turn the left-over heels of loaves and any dry slices into breadcrumbs using my liquidiser and them freeze them. I have four bags in the freezer as I speak! I use them for coating the fish when we have fish and chips, as well as padding out the mince when I make burgers or meatballs.

Right off to bed...too tired and an early start in the morning.

13 projects in 2013: 7/13
    Cross-stitch Club Member no 13
    Weight loss since 24/06/2012: 30lb
  • angelatgraceland
    Options
    Oh forgot to say that I was looking at half price turkey crowns & whole turkeys in the Co Op. The small turkeys were I think about £12 & medium ones £16 and I think small crowns were about £13 but I really don't know if this was a good price or not as I cannot remember how much I paid at xmas time. Anyone have an idea if these prices are good?

Long tall sally
    I believe this is the same price they were at Christmas! They were "half price " then!
    I paid £16 for mine which was the heaviest of its weight range and a whole kilo heavier than the lightest one of the same privce so do have a rummage through the freezer.
    I wouldn't bother at that price-wait until it comes down a bit.
    Disappointed with Waitrose this week as their new policy on vouchers means you have to buy the product(what a shame)but I still got some bargains in there. I got a couple of packets of luxury dates which were originally about £3.29 per pack for just 59p so we had one each-they were beautiful!
    Ive been buying bits and pieces on and off all week so Im about to total it. I went in Tesco Tuesday-oh I really should keep away! Easter eggs with cups for £3 so I got 5(1 each)and 4 bottles of wine and a crate of Stella. Oh well-thats the treats for the next few weeks!
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • turbo5019
    turbo5019 Posts: 331 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just been to MrA and the pampers wipes in a box of 6 for £5 are on offer 2 for £8.
    Right off to update sig
    GC July £250/
  • hart44
    hart44 Posts: 1,610 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone :D
    Sorry Ive not been about for a while :o I just dont know where the time goes also had PC problems (well keyboard was playing up so OH got me another).

So far I have been realy good with my shopping and only been buying what we realy need for the week :D

I have been making a lot more meals from scratch and I love making my own bread, I have to do it by hand as I dont have a BM, I see Lidl have a BM for £24.99 on the 18th, does anyone know if it is any good?

Hope to keep poping back in today after work and catch up :D

Kind wishes
    H x
    Getting myself sorted 1 day/1thing at a time :) and Love sewing :)
    "Sewing fills my days,
    not to mention the living room, bedroom, and closets."
    ~ Author Unknown
  • Bluefire
    Bluefire Posts: 476 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    £15.04 spend in Morrisons, B&M & Lidl. Some of it was stocking up though - Lidl have reduced their lovely 2 pack of gammon to £1 so 3 of them have gone straight in the freezer!
    Mortgage: [STRIKE]08/13 £28,896.49[/STRIKE] 01/18 £0
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport