🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Cold calling

Options
cepheus
cepheus Posts: 20,053 Forumite
It may be useful to have a sticky so people can amalgamate who are the worst offenders, and if they originate from a larger company with cold calling policies. Despite being on the TPS and reporting these people they have just done it again

Enterprise Cleaning services, Green Park, Reading

The regulator obviously cannot cope, and hope the form filling and difficulty in finding all the details about the company when they withhold details with dissuade people from writing in.

Comments

• Antispam
    Antispam Posts: 6,636 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I got two cold calls yesterday dont normally get them now

Both Indian calls centres one from Talk Talk I told them 3-4 times not to call me

Then some company dont even know what he said, wanted me to help with a survey I said I was on TPS he then hung up, charming
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,526 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If I'm not busy I've started answering these sorts of calls with " My name is Chief Inspector ***** of the Serious Fraud Office - can I have your full name, Company name and address please?" - seems quite effective! If I'm busy or can't be bothered I just hang up!
  • Jemma-T
    Jemma-T Posts: 1,546 Forumite
    Options
    Very rarely (maybe once in 2 years) do I get a cold call.

Make and keep your list and then llock them with the Panasonic KXTG8424EB https://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5526118.htm (1, 2 & 3 handset options available). They'll get an engaged tone constantly.

And stop answering the phone to strangers of course. It's not a toy.
  • co123456
    Options
    cepheus wrote: »
    It may be useful to have a sticky so people can amalgamate who are the worst offenders, and if they originate from a larger company with cold calling policies. Despite being on the TPS and reporting these people they have just done it again

Enterprise Cleaning services, Green Park, Reading

The regulator obviously cannot cope, and hope the form filling and difficulty in finding all the details about the company when they withhold details with dissuade people from writing in.

These guys have been intouch with me today.... and on previous occasions.

TPS have been informed.

www.ecsuk.biz 0118 949 7541 naomi
  • NonGeographicalMan
    NonGeographicalMan Posts: 1,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 22 April 2010 at 12:10PM
    Options
    I was called yesterday afternoon (April 21st) by Enterprise Cleaning Services who withheld their number and who were also then trying to get me to agree to a cold call sales visit by one of their members of sales staff.

I have found previously (when I received another number withheld call from this same Enterprise Cleaning Services) that there are several other Enterprise Cleaning Services (including one in my nearest town) that are nothing to do with this company so I initially played along with them and asked where they from. They said they were based in Portsmouth. At this point I challenged them further on why they had called despite my TPS registration and the woman calling claimed they did screen their data against the TPS and it must have been a mistake. I then asked if that was the case then why they had also called me on this number around a year earlier and at that stage discussions became rather heated and the woman hung up.

It would seem that this firm of cowboys are simply grossly incompetently managed rather than acting deliberately illegaly since they are registered as being at http://corporate.tpsonline.org.uk/CTPSC/html/Subscribers.asp but unfortunately the phone number listed there yesterday led to an 80 year old widow in Bournemouth who had fallen victim to their high pressure selling tactics rather than to the offices of the company. The head office of Enterprise Cleaning Services can in fact be traced at http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/place?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=EpE&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&channel=s&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=enterprise+cleaning+services+bournemouth&fb=1&gl=uk&hq=enterprise+cleaning+services&hnear=bournemouth&cid=4693752465731245158 where there are some comments about the company from a rather unhappy customer.

Their call centre can in fact be traced to offices at Portsmouth Technopole in this article on the Portsmouth Technopole website referring to comments from Andy Byers, the Managing Director of Enterprise, at www.portsmouth-technopole.co.uk/news/portsmouth-technopole/portsmouth-technopole-is-celebrating-a-hat-trick-o-149.php

I made a complaint about this firm on the complaints section on the TPS website but also more importantly in terms of getting any action against them by completing and sending back by email to [EMAIL="casework@ico.gsi.gov.uk"]casework@ico.gsi.gov.uk[/EMAIL] the Privacy and Electronic Communications Complaint form that can be obtained on the Information Commissioner's website at www.ico.gov.uk/complaints/privacy_and_electronic_communications.aspx

I would advise that anyone who wishes to see this firm mend its ways and who is TPS registered and receives a number withheld call from Enterprise also files a complaint with the ICO who ultimately have the power to prosecute them if they continue to persist with making these unwanted and unsolicited calls.:mad:

More on these cowboys and their nuisance calls can be found at http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/02392354303#p61120064889415985 and http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/01202527316#p61123582736066888
  • noapron
    noapron Posts: 120 Forumite
    Options
    Can anyone tell me if charities are exempt from TPS restrictions? I go through phases of getting loads of them. I'm not anti giving to charity but they do get to be a nuisance. I find they ask for a monthly direct debit at first and if I say no, they go on to keeping a collection box to collect pound coins and finally they ask for a one-off donation. I suspect it is often not the charity itself calling but a paid call centre. One charity did tell me that as I had donated before they were exempt from TPS rules. I don't want to be rude to them but they just don't like a polite no.
  • NonGeographicalMan
    Options
    noapron wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if charities are exempt from TPS restrictions? I go through phases of getting loads of them. I'm not anti giving to charity but they do get to be a nuisance. I find they ask for a monthly direct debit at first and if I say no, they go on to keeping a collection box to collect pound coins and finally they ask for a one-off donation. I suspect it is often not the charity itself calling but a paid call centre. One charity did tell me that as I had donated before they were exempt from TPS rules.

No they aren't allowed to call you if you are registered with the TPS and you have not directly had dealings with them in the past initiated by yourself where you have directly given them your own phone number. I don't have any unwanted calls from charities so I suspect your problem may be having made previous donations or having had previous communications with charities where you have provided your phone number and not ticked the box saying you do not want to receive unsolicited communications from them in the future.

If when these charities call you tell them you do not want them to call you again and to take you off their calling list then they are committing an offence that you can report them to the Information Commissioner's Office for if they keep on pestering you.
  • noapron
    noapron Posts: 120 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for that reply. At one point I was getting half a dozen calls a day. I do know they are all good causes but I suppose I'm like a lot of people, I give to favourite charities and tbh I do feel a bit browbeaten sometimes by charity cold callers because they are so gently persistent and sound so incredulous that you aren't going to give. Thank you again.
  • NonGeographicalMan
    Options
    noapron wrote: »
    I give to favourite charities and tbh I do feel a bit browbeaten sometimes by charity cold callers because they are so gently persistent and sound so incredulous that you aren't going to give.

Unfortunately if you give to one charity they then seem to sell lists of people who give to charities to other charities and you become a target. But they shouldn't be calling you if you are TPS registered and have never had any direct dealings with that other charity.

Only people carrying out proper professional market research studies like ICM, NOP etc are allowed to call you despite your TPS registration, even though you have never had any previous dealings with them, and even they must stop calling you if you make it clear that you do not want to be contacted again by that organisation for any future market research work.
  • cepheus
    cepheus Posts: 20,053 Forumite
    edited 27 April 2010 at 1:05PM
    Options
    I've just been getting a lot of calls attempting to sell me burgular alarms under the cover of a crime awareness campaign in Berks, Wish I'd taken the company name now!

are you aware of this campaign?...... I'm aware of a lot of people trying to sell me burgular alarms.... well we are trying to give you one...... aaaaaargh!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport