Reconnect to BT Phone line without paying the connection fee

Options
Hello.
I've just moved into a new house (renting with livein Landlord) and I want to install Home Broadband but the lanlord doesn't have a BT phone number, I know that the house wasn't connected to BT for at least 5 years, I think that the line exists, there is a
"telephone jack". My questions is, how can I find out if the line is in working condition, If for example I'll connect a phone should I hear a sound or something or what are other methods ? BT may charge 124 poounds connection fee even if the line is in working condition and just needs to be activated. I want to be sure not to pay the connection fee if it is not necessary.
Thank you.

Comments

• Mark_In_Hampshire
    Options
    Even if there is a dial tone the connection fee may still apply.

You need to contact some providers that you're interested in going with and ask how much the installation will cost for that address.

Your choice of broadband supplier is also important since some may connect free if you take their broadband.
  • eXtremer
    Options
    btw I've checked with BT online and the system automatically adds the installation fee when i've put my address...
    I want to connect with o2 Broadband.
  • Mark_In_Hampshire
    Options
    I'm not sure whether o2 are planning to offer line installation - they are launching a calls package soon, so you could verify with them whether they can "do it all".

Otherwise: you know BT will charge you for the install fee, so try the Post Office. Worth noting that if you go with BT for the install you'll be in a 12 month contract minimum for calls. If you have the PO set the line up, you'll be in a 1 month contract, so you could migrate to o2 for calls later as well if you wanted to.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sky are now offering installation. Maybe another option for you?
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Nothing to indicate that O2 are offering line installls/reconnections, so far all they've said is they will launch their line rental and calls package next month
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • eXtremer
    Options
    I found this info: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/free-BT-line-installation
    I'll call BT in a few minutes and see what they say...

Thank you missile, I'll check Sky too.
  • macman
    Options
    eXtremer wrote: »
    I found this info: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/free-BT-line-installation
    I'll call BT in a few minutes and see what they say...

Thank you missile, I'll check Sky too.

That offer ceased last week-though you have nothing to lose by asking.
  • eXtremer
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    That offer ceased last week-though you have nothing to lose by asking.

* Now extended to 31st January 2010
  • macman
    Options
    eXtremer wrote: »

But they re-extended it to 17/2/10 I think.
  • eXtremer
    Options
    So I called BT, they said that the line is not good so i have to pay 124 pounds then I said I don't want to and I'll check some offers from other providers so the girl suddenly remembered about the 18 month offer and said that I have to pay only 29.99 connection charge, 29.99 is way better than 124 pounds, the ony thing I'm mad about is that an engineer will come only on 15 of March, it's way to long, but can't do nothing about it just have to wait.
    Thanks for all the replies.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport