1st time buyer moving in.. how to switch utilities

Options
Pavel_S
Pavel_S Posts: 39 Forumite
Hi everyone,

Apologies for what is probably a really amateur-ish question.

I have just purchased a house, and exchanged contracts to complete next wednesday.

I currently live in a rented flat, and inherited e.on as the supplier from the previous tenants (only been here a few months so wasn't too worried about switching etc.).

Now whether I want to stay with e.on at the new house, or wish to end my account with e.on and switch to another supplier, could somebody please explain to me (briefly) the process of what I need to do?

I imagine I would probably benefit from shopping around as the house I'm moving into has no gas so will be all electric. Plus I imagine I'll be able to get some cashback deal from the likes of Quidco.

Do I tell e.on I want to close my account in the flat, and then shop around and ring up someone else and ask to open an account for the new house? Is there anything I need to get/obtain from the seller of the house so that there is no break in provision of utilities when I move in? (i.e. if they stop the services now.. how long until they get re-switched on when I move in?)

Like I said, I realise this is probably very basic stuff that everybody knows, but as a first time mover, I would appreciate any input (prior to the flat I lived in uni accommodation so never dealt with utilities).

Slightly off topic, regarding water.. I think Severn Trent provide water in both the flat and the house, should I just call them up and tell them I'm moving so they update the address on my account?

Many thanks to everyone on this useful site,

Pavel

Comments

• notbritishgas
    Options
    Hi, when you move in to your new house you will initially have to take the supply from the existing company which may not be EoN. Your solicitor should have received a completed quetionaire from the old owners, one question is "who supplies the electricity".
    You should ring them ASAp after moving to give them your details and ,very important, the meter reading. Also tell them you want to sign up to their cheapest tariff (but make sure there is no penalty for leaving if you wish to change), if not they will put you on their stanadrd tariff.
    Once the account is set up in your name then you can switch away immediately, although the switch normally takes about 5-6 weeks.
    You will have to do some research , ideally get the usage from the old owners and put into a comparison site to see what comes up.
    As the house is all electric I presume you have storage heaters , if so then expect to be on an E7 tariff.
  • Pavel_S
    Pavel_S Posts: 39 Forumite
    Options
    Okay, thanks for the response. Does that mean that I need to just call e.on now and tell them that I'm moving out next week and give them my final readings so I can settle the balance?

Cheers!

Pavel
  • notbritishgas
    Options
    Pavel_S wrote: »
    Okay, thanks for the response. Does that mean that I need to just call e.on now and tell them that I'm moving out next week and give them my final readings so I can settle the balance?

Cheers!

Pavel
    I should ring them on the day you move, that will ensure the meter reading is your final one and then should tally with the reading the new occupiers give to EoN when they move in.
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    According to Eon's terms & conditions, it says you should give them 48 hours notice ... but it's a bit confusing to me about what happens if you don't.

When I left them along time ago, I gave them the 48 hours notice and they just said call back on the day of leaving with the meter reading so that they could raise the final bill.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    Premier wrote: »
    According to Eon's terms & conditions, it says you should give them 48 hours notice ... but it's a bit confusing to me about what happens if you don't

Usually, you may be liable for energy used until the next supplier's meter reading. The 2 days' notice is so they can read the meter (if they wish to, usually they will accept customer's own reading but they do not have to).
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Options
    Hi Pavel

Already some good advice on here. Thought I would just emphasise the importance of meter readings.

Take them on the day you actually move out and let us know. We will be happy to use your readings and will ask for a forwarding address.

A final bill will be issued to these readings and sent to the forwarding address advised. This will ensure the account at your flat is closed accurately.

Hope this helps Pavel and good luck with the move.

Malc :)
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport