We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Best replacement for Quicken personal finance ?

I have used quicken on XP for years and found it exellent & simple to use for forward planning, reports & bank reconciliation, splitting costs etc. What is the best replacement software around with similar functionality ?
«1

Comments

  • poppy10_2
    poppy10_2 Posts: 6,597 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    UK users are rather neglected at the moment when it comes to personal finance software. Quicken has not been available for the UK market since 2006, and Microsoft Money was discontinued last year.

    There are a few free open source programs you could try, although none are quite as user-friendly as the above two commercial programs. I use Gnucash, which has a fairly steep leaning curve but is very powerful once you get used to it. Other decent alternatives are Homebank and Turbocash - again, both free, so it's worth giving them a download and trying them out.
    poppy10
  • Aiadi
    Aiadi Posts: 1,840 Forumite
    I use:

    http://www.codelathe.com/mmex/

    As it is portable as well as free and easy to use...........
    Do I want it? ......Do I need it? ......What would happen if I don't buy it??????
  • richardvc
    richardvc Posts: 1,171 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    I have no experience of Quicken so cannot comment but I use an old MS Money 99 for all my house accounts and think it's excellent.

    You can usually pick a disc up for only a few quid on fleabay !!
    Thanks to MSE I cleared £37k of debt in five years and I was lucky enough to meet Martin to thank him personally.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,129 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    manglin wrote: »
    I have used quicken on XP for years and found it exellent & simple to use for forward planning, reports & bank reconciliation, splitting costs etc. What is the best replacement software around with similar functionality ?

    Just buy the US version of Quicken which is still available, just read £'s for $ when using it.
    As long as you are not doing international currency conversions then it will be fine.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • hansi
    hansi Posts: 3,001 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    manglin wrote: »
    I have used quicken on XP for years and found it exellent & simple to use for forward planning, reports & bank reconciliation, splitting costs etc. What is the best replacement software around with similar functionality ?


    Have you not still got your Quicken disk?
  • I've faced the same dillema - I was a loyal quick user since 98 - but felt forced to moving to MS Money when quicken pulled out the UK market. I have 'got by' with Money ever since - but I have never been as happy as I was with quicken.

    I have some complex things that the program needs to model (e.g. stock splits, many overseas shares and some obscure funds in my portfolio) that I've had to do some manual workarounds on both programs to represent. Oh for someone to plug this huge gap in the market in the UK! If anyone has any recomendations I'd be thrilled.

    For the OP though - I think it sounds like kublax does everything you want...

    https://www.!!!!!!!!!!!

    I've read very good reviews of it in the press but never met anyone who really uses it so would be curious how you get on!
  • Oops forgot you can't do links...

    Just google kublax

    or guess - it is kublax dot and then com
  • hansi
    hansi Posts: 3,001 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    I still use Quicken and find it's ok.
  • I read Kublax has gone. another good idea that didn't make it. I've signed up as a Beta tester for Moneydashboard it looks like a useful product.
  • pippa93
    pippa93 Posts: 104 Forumite
    http://crave.cnet.co.uk/software/0,39029471,49302618,00.htm

    Found this link after computer upgrade forced us to abandon money (1998 edition I think-everything was inputted manually!)

    I use wesabe now, because it's online and the basic stuff is all I need- I haven't tried any of the others but they might be more suitable to your needs if you're looking for more features.

    pippa
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.