PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Is this realistic

Options
Trying to find out if this is possible?

i have been a council tenant for 30yrs. I have a 3bed semi which i would probably get for around £30,000 value of property around £90,000. I am having to relocate down south, problem being i would have to rent private, not too happy at not having any security. If i bought my council house with a mortgage of say £30000, paying interest only would be around £140 a month. If i then got tenants in for say £450pm and then 3yrs down the line sell the house for say £90,000, then pay off capital sum. I could then use the remainder for a deposit on something down south.

does this sound like pie in the sky or is there anyway it is possible.

i have already decided i need to move. I should have no problems getting a job, even if i could not find tenents for some of the time i could cover the interest only payments for some of the time.

any advise please.

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,077 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I reckon the buying at a discount conditions stop you renting out or selling the property for a few years. I thought the largest discount allowed was less than 60k.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • converted
    Options
    figures are all speculative at the moment, i only thought about it tonight. i thought that with 30yrs tenancy the discount was about 70%, if i am wrong i do not think it is that far out. maybe someone can tell me?
  • archie9uk
    Options
    If you were buying with the sole intention of letting it out and selling on for profit, you would need to get a buy-to-let mortgage. You need to know a) if you would meet the qualifying criteria for BTL and b) if there is any rule prohibiting you from buying your council house to let it out (rather than living in it yourself).
  • silvercar
    Options
    converted wrote: »
    figures are all speculative at the moment, i only thought about it tonight. i thought that with 30yrs tenancy the discount was about 70%, if i am wrong i do not think it is that far out. maybe someone can tell me?

There is a maximum amount, which I thought was about 40k but I may be wrong.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • converted
    Options
    My sole intention is not to let out or profit. I am relocating entirely down to family reasons, I spoke with my housing officer to ask if there was any way i could transfer in order to retain the security offerred with renting from LA, he suggested that as i still had the right to buy i could buy, and let it out until such times as i was sure that moving was the right thing to do, as if it all goes wrong i could always move back and still have my accommodation.
  • silvercar
    Options
    archie9uk wrote: »

So max is 16-38k depending on area and percentage is 60% for houses and 70% for flats.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,831 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There is no way you would get a 70% discount these days.
    You need to find out before you go any furhter with any plans.

I am almost 99% sure you would not be able to rent it out, I am 100% sure that you cannot sell within a number of years or you have to give the discount back to the council.
    If you are buying it for yourself to live in for a number of years then fine
    but if you are buying it to make a quick buck then that is immoral to say the least.

If you plan to move out why dont you give yor council house up for one of the needy families in your area. Thats what council houses are for. And thats why they are called social housing
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • converted
    Options
    http://www.fancyamortgage.co.uk/Righ.../Discounts.asp
    That is helpful. So even with these figures would it be worth-it?

Thanks
  • converted
    Options
    "If you plan to move out why dont you give yor council house up for one of the needy families in your area. Thats what council houses are for. And thats why they are called social housing"

My thoughts exactly, i could well afford to have bought my house a number of years ago, but have not for this reason. My reasons for thinking about it now is that i do not want to end up with no security and i do not see any other way around it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure