PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Getting a Mortgage after a repossession

Options
Evening All,

My name is on my ex's mortgage still and the house is up for repossession soon, unless a minor miracles happens on her side.

My concern is how long will I have to wait to get a new mortgage of my own, I currently rent a house with my wife and kids, but would ideally love to own a property.

Any help would be appreciated has I 've searched all over the net and cannot get a straight answer!

Thanks

Neil

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,068 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Well you still have one mortgage in your name, on which it appears you are in arrears, so no-one is going to give you another mortgage at the moment.

After that repossession the lender will be chasing you (and the ex) for repayment of any shortfall.

I would say you are talking of at least 4 years and then the rate will probably be sky high.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As silvercar said, the mortgage on the repossession is in your name - once it's been repossessed and the full shortfall/bill has been prepared, they'll be wanting their money back from you, your ex, both of you, either of you .... they don't care which of you, they just want it back. They will want it back for at least 6 years, some even up to 12 years. At some future point, you might think you've got away with it, you might get a mortgage, that property might then be worth more ... and in 11 years and 11 months you'll get a letter which basically says "Hey - you thought we'd gone away ... well, we waited .... and we're hoping now you've got something to give us ..... something valuable .... we still want our money ... what's your house worth now ...?"

You need to really find out who the lender is, find out how long they chase people for and if they're a good or bad person to owe money too ... and also try to get a feel for how much the final bill might be on the repossession.
  • mrandmrsselby
    Options
    I was declared bankrupt in 2006 - solictors recommended it to remove my name from the mortgage, but it didn't work.
    I will not be liable for any shortfall - my ex has a declaration of trust the house was worth £325k mortgage was only for £150k she is due the balance.

Due to the fact the mortgage and arrears should be covered even if the house is sold at auction, should this go in my favour?

Thanks again Neil
  • finnigan
    Options
    We were repossesed back in the early 90's. We now have a mortgage we took on two years ago, we now want to remortgage but are unable to so because the banks lending criteria has changed to exclude peeps with repossesions etc in their history.
    We have been advised to sit and wait for the banks to change, think its going to take a while.
  • Radiantsoul
    Options
    I was declared bankrupt in 2006 - solictors recommended it to remove my name from the mortgage, but it didn't work.
    I will not be liable for any shortfall - my ex has a declaration of trust the house was worth £325k mortgage was only for £150k she is due the balance.

Due to the fact the mortgage and arrears should be covered even if the house is sold at auction, should this go in my favour?

Thanks again Neil

Mortgage companies are going to be very wary of the fact you have been made bankrupt. I am not too sure why your trustee in bankruptcy was not interested in the property if there was a lot of equity.
    The bankruptcy will sit on your file for six years. And the repossession will sit on your file too, probably for as long.
    If I were you I would keep saving and address any other credit issues for the next two or three years, hopefully credit conditions will be better by then. Then get a decent broker to find a mortgage for you.
  • mrandmrsselby
    mrandmrsselby Posts: 27 Forumite
    edited 17 February 2010 at 11:36PM
    Options
    The equity wasn't mine, I had signed a declaration of trust, £150k max or what is left after the sale and mortgages costs are taken belong to my ex.

She had put this amount into the property.

I didn't think I'd have much chance but its always worth asking.

Thanks
  • silvercar
    Options
    The equity wasn't mine, I had signed a declaration of trust, £150k max or what is left after the sale and mortgages costs are taken belong to my ex.

Did your ex buy back the OR's interest in the property? If not, I don't understand why the OR isn't involved in the sale as anything above the trust declaration would go to pay back your creditors.

If there isn't any ongoing debt from the repossession then the lender won't be chasing you.

Wait til the bankruptcy disappears (2012?) then think about a mortgage.

?Why didn't your ex just sell up. With that much equity its odd to get repossessed?
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • mrandmrsselby
    Options
    With the market slowing the OR decided that there would not be any profit on the property.
    I have no idea why she hadn't sold it, I put it on the Market the day I moved out, but she refuses to put a sign up.
    The mortgage is interest only too!
    So even if it gets repossessed I may have a good chance if getting a mortgage in 2012?
  • Radiantsoul
    Options
    With the market slowing the OR decided that there would not be any profit on the property.
    I have no idea why she hadn't sold it, I put it on the Market the day I moved out, but she refuses to put a sign up.
    So even if it gets repossessed I may have a good chance if getting a mortgage in 2012?

There is loads of equity though? I don't understand how the OR could have made that mistake unless there is something complex going on. I would not be surprised if the OR(or more likely a trustee) wants the share in the equity. I suppose it depends on when you signed this deed, it should not really effect you but your ex might want to be worried.

It depends what the market is like in 2012. At the moment you would have no chance without a large deposit, so if I were you I would start saving like crazy.
  • silvercar
    Options

You'll pay a high rate. I expect the lender may want to know why you didn't pay the mortgage and allowed the property to be repo'd. From your point of view, the danger is that the lender works slowly and the repossession doesn't happen yet. The later it happens the longer it will be a black mark on your credit rating. with a lot of equity the lender is in no rush - they will always get their money back so could wait until prices increase. If your ex is currently paying no mortgage, she is also in no rush. Does she realise she won't be able to get another mortgage?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure