Partner's income & IVA

Options
Hi
I have a DMP with CCCS and have been with them since Sept 09. Following a review I was referred for and IVA recently.
I had my first telephone application with CCCVA re this yesterday.
The debts are all in my name following the breakdown of a previous relationship where I foolishly took on a lot of debt in my sole name plus buying out my ex partner out of the mortgaged home.
I was advised that the creditors will want to see proof of my partner's income and expenses.
I am the main earner and he gives me all he can towards the bills. The debts are not his and I do not want him to included in my mess plus I want one of us to have a decent credit score.
I was advised that the IVA may not go ahead if I don't provide this info.
I need some advice as my only options really are Bk or IVA, the DMP is set to last at least 19 years!

Comments

• thechippy
    thechippy Posts: 1,938 Forumite
    Options
    Hiya,

It's normal for them to want to know what your partner earns. As you live together, they will assume you both contribute towards the running costs of the home. The Iva will be in your name only and won't affect him. It's standard form, so they can calculate the iva payments due....:)

If you're really worried pm me your tel number and I'll run you through it........:D
    Happiness, is a Kebab called Doner.....:heart2::heart2:
  • bluemonday3
    Options
    Thanks... I guess my anxiety lies in it's my bed so to speak, plus he is very understanding i.e we live very basically with no treats etc for ourselves, just pay the bills and what's left goes to my DMP, so I felt very defensive when they asked this.
    Plus having read other threads about partners being added to IVA's without them having debts of their own so feel very anxious..
  • thechippy
    Options
    I'm questioning someone else atm about partners being "added" and I think it's unlawful.

Anyway, pm your number if you want me to run you through anything. I'm not a lover of the lending institutions and enjoy helping others against them. Keep your chin up - no debt issue is insurmountable........:D;)
  • bluemonday3
    Options
    God I feel really thick but how would I post my number without making it public?!
  • thechippy
    Options
    you just send me a pm (private massage) - not viewable by anyone except me..;)

Click on my name and select send pm
  • skintflint103
    Options
    It would be interesting to the forum to know exactly how this goes if your partner refuses to comply. He dosn't have to give his income. Many people live off of the income of another (ask any sugar daddy) I think they may imply that you can't have the IVA without. But don't lead the conversation we would all like to know what happens. I think i already know .
  • debtinator_2
    Options
    Hi bluemonday3

I think you need to be a bit careful!

The CCCS have conducted a review and referred you for an IVA have they. I wonder if they will get a fee for that?

The "I" in IVA stands for Individual; so in theory it should not include your partner, but I can tell you what will happen, the IVA company will try and tell you that your partner has benefited from your spending (and therefore debt) and that he should be responsible for it, which is probably TOTAL RUBBISH.

They may even tell you that he should get into an IVA himself by accepting responsibility for your debt and you for his, they will probably tell you that it will be a "JOINT IVA"........joint Individual.......nonsense.

The truth is that they will be able to see a bigger monthly contribution, which on a % basis might be a bigger fee for them, (two IVA's instead of one!) see how this could go now? If they ask for proof of income it will only be to make sure they can corner you both and get two IVA's

I have seen people dragged into a "joint" IVA for a debt as low as £500!

What should really happen is that you declare a "household contribution" from you partner towards the running costs of the family budget, any other money he earns he may spend on other things which have nothing to do with you, your creditors or the IVA company.

As I see it they have advised you that the IVA may not go ahead if you dont provide the info they want for a number of reasons
    1. it puts pressure on you to include your partner
    2. it puts pressure on your partner to get an IVA to "save" you
    3. if you don't provide the info for them to drag you both into IVA's they wont put your proposal to your creditors

You ask for advice about BK or IVA or DM
    If you have an "asset" to protect or your job prevents BK then an IVA would seem like the right thing for you
    If you are renting or have no equity in a home and your job wont prevent it then maybe BK is the better option

You are right about one thing, if the debt is all yours then your partner shouldn't damage his credit file dealing with your debt

If you want to PM me with your contact details I will tell you what I think is REALLY going on!
    A man in debt is so far a slave
  • skintflint103
    Options
    Debtinator I coul'nt have possible improved on that, I have this debate so many times and am told by the IVA plants here that this dos'nt happen. As I said in a previous post I spoke to a lady on monday in a 5 year iva without any debt other than the car loan she is still paying in full. Bankrupt on the register for 5 years just so's the greedy !"£%^&s can get more income. Good post mate thanks.
  • thechippy
    Options
    Debtinator I coul'nt have possible improved on that, I have this debate so many times and am told by the IVA plants here that this dos'nt happen. As I said in a previous post I spoke to a lady on monday in a 5 year iva without any debt other than the car loan she is still paying in full. Bankrupt on the register for 5 years just so's the greedy !"£%^&s can get more income. Good post mate thanks.

Exactly why people should take independant advice on such matters!!

What I was saying is that you just can't be placed in an iva without knowing - you have to sign something. And who are the iva plants???
  • debtinator_2
    Options
    Thanks Skinflint

It's about time people were made aware exactly what's going on.

An IVA is not the solution it is often made up to be, I had an IVA salesman on the phone the other day, he knew nothing about me. I answered a few simple questions and apparently qualified for an IVA.

He even had the cheek to tell me that my credit file would be marked with an "I" apparently for arrangement NOT Insolvent.

The guy was an out and out liar. I asked about filing for my own B/O and he told me several times that the law had changed and debtors can no longer apply for a B/O themselves it has to be done by a creditor.

The IVA factories need dealing with. People need to be told the truth.

The trouble is, people aren't stupid, in most cases if people knew the truth the IVA factory wouldn't be able to make the sale.

The fight goes on!
    A man in debt is so far a slave
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family