»

Striking the balance between DFW and conscience

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

Striking the balance between DFW and conscience

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Debt-Free Wannabe
49 replies 8.6K views
JAMIEDODGERJAMIEDODGER Forumite
4.3K posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Debt-Free Wannabe
hi all,

recently i have been thinking about how my moneysaving and wish to be debtfree can work alongside my need to be making an effort to make a difference on this planet.

this week i checked out my ecological footprint and really, it wasnt good enough, i do quite a bit already, recycle and compost, but to quote a good friend... "no one ever does enough"

but being ecologically conscious costs doesnt it? well, armed with my calculator i planned to check this out...

this week after lots of research and plenty of tapping into my calculator, i decided to purchase some reusable nappies. i didnt buy the cheapest ones, my baby deserves to be comfortable, i also bought some biodegradeable paper nappy liners. I have in the past with my other three children used terrys and tbh it never bothered me in the slightest using them...once you get used to it. Anyways, I paid £67 for the lot and they will be winging their way to me next week. this set of nappies will have paid for themselves in about 12 weeks. this will mean an extra £5 staying in my pocket every week. and we all know that EVERY disposable nappy sent to landfill is STILL THERE!!!!

i am now researching into eco balls. a natty little gadget that goes in your washing and erradicates the need for nasty detergent that makes your skin itch and does horrid things to the water supply. they are quite costly at £39.95!!!!!! but it works out to about 4p a wash, this is MUCH cheaper than i paying at the moment, with four children there is always far too much washing!! and obviously there is also added bonus of no yukky detergents.

My plan is once i have paid off all the debt then i can start buying a few more recycled products, more organic produce. I already grow some of my own veg and keep chickens.

can anyone think of any other things they can do to money save and bring that DFD a little closer, which could also be kinder to the enviroment?
threadbanner.gif
#82 12k in 2018 - £3473.45/£12000 - 28.95%
Retirement Fund £10850.02/£250000 - 4.34%
House Fund £2679.13/£50000 - 5.36%
Travel Fund £199.49/£2500 - 7.98%

Replies

• Bagpuss741Bagpuss741 Forumite
    1.9K posts
    1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    How many do you get for £39.95? I've seen these in Lakeland Limited
    https://www.lakelandlimited.co.uk/product.aspx/!5718 Hope this helps.
    Tesco £1007😳 Capital One £295🙈 As of 24/03/20
  • nearlyrichnearlyrich Forumite
    13.7K posts
    Hung up my suit! Mortgage-free Glee! I'm a Volunteer Board Guide
    Bagpuss741 wrote:
    How many do you get for £39.95? I've seen these in Lakeland Limited
    www.lakelandlimited.co.uk/product.aspx/!5718 Hope this helps.

I believe you get one set and they are reusable so if you work out how many washes of your normal powder/tablets/liquid you can get for the £39.95 and if the lifespan of the eco balls is longer you are in front. However Lakeland Ltd, wonderful though they are are quite expensive and I am sure if you have a search on the Old Style or Green & Eyhical Boards you will find something similar for a lot less money.;)
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • Miss_Penny_Pincher_2Miss_Penny_Pincher_2 Forumite
    660 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I received the Kleeneze catalogue yesterday and they have a wash ball which is anti-bacterial, detergent free and hypo-allergenic - up to 50 loads for £5.99 = nearly 8.4p per load.

Also they have a 'magic washing ball' which looks like a pink hedgehog. It's £7.99 for 2 with each lasting 50 washes = 8p per wash but then refills are only £1.99 = 4p per wash. It does say that it slowly releases detergent though so it doesn't sound as green? The bumph says "excellent results. The nodules massage and condition your clothes as the machine spins".

I haven't tried either of these (this is my first Kleeneze catalogue ever) but possibly cheaper green options than the £40 one?
    Make £5 a day challenge - August £125.75 / £155. September 75p / £150.
  • Dr.Shoe_2Dr.Shoe_2 Forumite
    1K posts
    ✭✭✭
    What £40 one? The one I saw at lakeland was £7.95...
    [strike]-£20,000[/strike] 0!
  • Miss_Penny_Pincher_2Miss_Penny_Pincher_2 Forumite
    660 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    This one:
    i am now researching into eco balls. a natty little gadget that goes in your washing and erradicates the need for nasty detergent that makes your skin itch and does horrid things to the water supply. they are quite costly at £39.95!!!!!! but it works out to about 4p a wash, this is MUCH cheaper than i paying at the moment, with four children there is always far too much washing!! and obviously there is also added bonus of no yukky detergents.

Does that eco ball last 1000 washes which makes it only 4p a wash?
    Make £5 a day challenge - August £125.75 / £155. September 75p / £150.
  • JAMIEDODGERJAMIEDODGER Forumite
    4.3K posts
    yes thats right miss penny pincher. and the refills are £18 so makes it less than 2p after that! seemed like a good idea to me
  • lynzpowerlynzpower Forumite
    25.3K posts
    have you got a wormery as well jamie? I got mine from the local council for a fiver - all the food that cant go into a standard composter can go in as well ( cooked food ends type stuff) Saves bin bags, buying compost and te planet :j
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • Everytime someone gets a cheap easyjet flight they are messing up all this energy saving lark

Seriously, there's no point, you'll be dead anyway. Also the crazy religious fundamentalists will have blown everyone up.

So just enjoy yourself, you can't make a difference

Hope this helps
  • JAMIEDODGERJAMIEDODGER Forumite
    4.3K posts
    hi lynz, no i havent got a wormery but that sounds like a really good idea!!!