Forum Home» Debt-Free Wannabe

Striking the balance between DFW and conscience - Page 3

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Striking the balance between DFW and conscience

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Debt-Free Wannabe
49 replies 8.6K views

Replies

• JAMIEDODGERJAMIEDODGER Forumite
    4.3K posts
    miss pp - i have been thinking about that too, i am concerned about the water i am using for watering my veggies
    #82 12k in 2018 - £3473.45/£12000 - 28.95%
    Retirement Fund £10850.02/£250000 - 4.34%
    House Fund £2679.13/£50000 - 5.36%
    Travel Fund £199.49/£2500 - 7.98%
  • Miss_Penny_Pincher_2Miss_Penny_Pincher_2 Forumite
    660 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Rain butts sound like a triple bonus: helping the planet, saving money and also rainwater is supposed to be better for plants :)
    Make £5 a day challenge - August £125.75 / £155. September 75p / £150.
    4.3K posts
    i do sleep easier because of the things i do. the debt will go. some things are more important and i am teaching my children valuable lessons which they will carry with them through life. again i shall point out that i was asking for helpful suggestions to moneysave and be kinder to this planet that we live on, not for negative comments and why bothers.
  • I like to look after my appliances and tools and things, that is, make them last as long as possible by servicing them and keeping them in working order. Hooray.... :D As an example, periodically cleaning out the washing machine's filter....who's a clever boy then.... :rolleyes:

This particular tip concerns fridges and freezers. :D An often forgotton task but if you pull out the fridge or freezer and look behind it you will often see all the thin black pipes and grids covered in lots of dust and fluff. :p This layer of dust and so on actually reduces the efficiency of the appliance - give the grid and pipes a good vacuum or brushing and your fridge/freezer will get cooler without having to change the settings....hooray... :D
    :) The £2 Coin Savers Club = £346.00 (£300.00 transferred to Savings a/c)

:) "Some days you're a Pigeon...some days you're a Statue"
  • beanieloubeanielou Forumite
    73.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Funnily enough Ive just started thinking of a water butt this week.
    Will be interested to see what ALi-0K comes up with.
    Wonder if the council will have any deals on them?
    JD I think even being aware of what we are doing makes a difference.
    This week I took a pile of clothes not good enough for the charity shop to the textile recycling drop off instead of just dumping them in the wheelie bin(then worried about fuel I used to get there!)
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **
    MFW. 9 months to go. B)
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • gallygirlgallygirl Forumite
    17.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Hung up my suit!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok - who can answer this one.... did the extra weight and resulting diesel usage from driving 65 miles with bin bag full of paper from work to home to recycle outweigh the good it did??????:confused:

And what happens if I (or more likely DS) leave the lid on empty water bottles? Will recycling plant blow up :confused::confused::confused:
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • beanieloubeanielou Forumite
    73.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Gosh, Ali , glad its not just me!!
    Fire engines on way to recycling plant as I type lol
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **
    MFW. 9 months to go. B)
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
  • Ali-OKAli-OK Forumite
    4.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, Google finds the words "rain water butt" interesting and sends me to Adult Content sites! :rotfl:

Search started with advice to check out local water authority and local council - often they do them at cheap prices. No such luck here, but try your local websites and see if they're offering anything first.

Found a great site called https://www.proeco.co.uk with some stuff I'd never seen before. They've got the washing balls too..can someone compare prices and advise if they're good value on there?

Have looked at dedicated sites like https://www.waterbutt.co.uk but...crumbs... they're quite expensive - £50+ :eek: when you start adding in a stand and connector kits..then someone has to connect it! You might get deals at your local garden centre, so have a look there too.

Had a nose through my local Freecycle - quite a few Wanted ads for water butts, but none offered. Take a look at your local area one, you might find one.

Lastly and it's come up trumps is eBay - there's over 200 items listed and I've found one within 10 miles as it's collection only...£5 starting price for butt and stand, used but in good condition, 3 days left to go and no bids yet! Guess who's gonna put in a bid?! :D

Hope the links work..not very good at that stuff :o and hope that info is useful for starters.
    Back on the DFW Wagon:

CC - £3,300 on 0% til 04/2020
    CC - £4,500 on 0% til 02/2019
    Loan - £12,063.84 as at 4/1/18
    4.3K posts
    thanks you bs for deleting your post
  • Sea78Sea78 Forumite
    6.2K posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    HI,

I know this won;'t be any good to some of you because it's only available for yorkshire water customers but they also have a tel number for more details of special offers in other areas. For those who are customers, this looks like a good deal.

http://www.trycomposting.peppercart.net/yw/index2.htm

Sea xx
    CCCS DMP:Feb 07
    Total:£[strike]37,016.47[/strike]£0 DEBT FREE FEB 14 :j