🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Switched to Ebico, saved a fortune!

Options
nephilim
nephilim Posts: 251 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I recently switched to Ebico (for both gas and electric) and I am now paying around half what I was before.

I am on a pre payment meter for both gas and electric and with british gas was going through £30 electric a month and £30 gas (from Sept - Nov), with Ebico I am now going through £16 electric a month and £14 gas (From Dec - Feb average)

I highly recommend them as they have been good service, and even did a boiler check for us before we switched and got our landlord to get us a new one under the heating homes grant thing! :D
  • Total Debt :£190,000 - Mortgage
  • Owed: £9000 Virgin Atlantic American Express
  • Owed: £9000 Tesco Clubcard Mastercard
  • Owed: £5500 Barclaycard Platinum
  • Owed: £1800 - Car Payments
  • Debt Free Date : May 2050

Comments

• GetRealBabe
    GetRealBabe Posts: 2,258 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 15 February 2010 at 4:55PM
    Options
    I considered Ebico but their electricity is 13.40p/KWh in London whereas npower Go fix is 8.86p/KWh plus 16p a day standing charge.

What area are you in?
    Sealed Pot Challenge No 089-Finally got a signature.:rotfl::j

• karatedragon
    Options
    I have Ebico fo Gas and saved a fortune. I have just switched my electric to them too. For a particular reason I have actually requested prepayment meters to be installed so using Ebico will be a saving.

By the way how do you find being on a prepayment meter? Do you ever find yourself plunged into darkness?
  • A_fiend_for_life
    A_fiend_for_life Posts: 1,643 Forumite
    edited 16 February 2010 at 1:29AM
    Options
    Ebico is around 30% cheaper for me compared with my old tariff SP standard quarterly billing. Low user.
  • nephilim
    Options
    Never see myself in darkness no, due to the fact that the mrs and I check the meters daily and if we are below £1 we top up with £10. If we go on holiday everything but the fridge and sky+ box gets switched off.
    • Total Debt :£190,000 - Mortgage
    • Owed: £9000 Virgin Atlantic American Express
    • Owed: £9000 Tesco Clubcard Mastercard
    • Owed: £5500 Barclaycard Platinum
    • Owed: £1800 - Car Payments
    • Debt Free Date : May 2050
  • KimYeovil
    KimYeovil Posts: 6,156 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ebico is around 30% cheaper for me compared with my old tariff SP standard quarterly billing. Low user.

Are you sure? Even with SP's £25 per quarter prompt payment discount? I suspect you would have to be a not-all-that-low a user for there to be a 30% difference. Of course, with a different region and older tariff you may be correct - but it is currently worth looking closely at Scottish Power's no standing charge tariff. (The £100 annual prompt payment discount will not be included on the comparison site estimate.) And, of course, with Ebico you can be a little lax with your payment.
  • KimYeovil
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I considered Ebico but their electricity is 13.40p/KWh in London whereas npower Go fix is 8.86p/KWh plus 16p a day standing charge.

What area are you in?

So? According to those figures a £16 bill with Ebico would cost £15.50 from nPower. And the gas bill will be more than halved.
  • Boxman
    Boxman Posts: 197 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Would it be possible for all the Ebico 'fans' above to give us their actual usage figures in kWh pa? Otherwise, with respect I suggest their comments are meaningless.
  • A_fiend_for_life
    Options
    Kim - my earlier values were a bit roughshod.

(Note when I got my meter replaced consumption was comparable on old and new so there is unlikely to be a faulty meter.)

Actual values from spreadsheet year to date are: 976 kWh and 2486 kWh for electricity and gas respectively.

For area 18 this gives a total of £225 per annum for Ebico and £302 for SP NSC pay on receipt. So £152 per annum with ppd. ppd is now £150 on energy helpline. It now makes Ebico 50% more expensive. I eat my hat.

Last time I was with them it was £50 a year ppd.

This would give an effective cost of 2.47 p / kWh for gas and 6.75 p / kWh electricity weighted on Ebico's cost ratio.

Surely SP would have restrictions on minimum consumption?
  • KimYeovil
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    [...]Surely SP would have restrictions on minimum consumption?

And surely they should have a restriction on the number of times per year a household can claim £110 cashback for a dual fuel switch to them. But they don't. Shrug.
    2010 Posts: 5,375 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Well I used to be with Ebico but by switching to BGas websaver 5 duel fuel tariff,I`m saving about £90 a year.

Agree Ebico is probably cheaper for pre payment meters and low users.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 4 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport