PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buying ex-guesthouse?

Options
I've seen a house which was a guest house. Can anyone foresee more complications buying this, rather than an ordinary private dwelling? I'm wondering about Council Tax, change of use. Thanks.

Comments

• uk_property_expert
    Options
    change of use will be a challenge, speak to local planning oficer and a mortgage may be a challenge
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Rules in England are different to Scotland. Which is it?
    What is the current class use: C1 hotels bording and guest houses?
    How many bedrooms?
  • Contessa
    Contessa Posts: 1,131 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. It's in England.Only 4/5 bedrooms. Don't know about the category as yet.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You could run it as a guesthouse .... and charge £500/night ... so you'd never get any bookings :)
  • Contessa
    Options
    You could run it as a guesthouse .... and charge £500/night ... so you'd never get any bookings :)

If I could get £500/night I'd happily run it as a guesthouse!
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Options
    With only 4-5 bedrooms it may well not be classed as C1 guesthouse use - as I'd guess at least 2 were used by the owners rathger than by guests.

Bed and breakfast accommodation is available under many guises from one bedroom in a small house to the full facilities of a hotel.

The need for planning permission is dependent on the relationship between the rooms used for visitors and the accommodation used by the family of the house. Planning permission is required where the visitor accommodation ceases to be ancillary to the main use of the house as a dwelling and becomes a significant use in its own right. This is usually evidenced by the number of guest rooms and the number of rooms made available for visitor use.

Planning permission will usually be required where guest rooms are equal to or exceed half the bedrooms in the house or other rooms are provided for the sole use of guests e.g. T.V. Lounge.

The judgement is a matter of fact and degree and the following information is required to determine if permission is required.

How many bedrooms are there in the house and how many are guest rooms?
    How many other rooms are available for the sole use of guests?
    How many parking spaces are available for - family?
    - visitors?
    Are other facilities available e.g. self catering, evening meals etc?

Even if it is class 1 use, it would probobly not be hard to return it to residential use
  • Contessa
    Options
    G_M, thanks. From what you say it doesn't seem like too much of a problem if I decide to go ahead.
  • leveller2911
    Options
    Locally to me a guesthouse change hands and the new owner devided it into 4 apartments.Needless to say the council have now got involved and its gone all the way to the planning inspector at Bristol.
    His final decision has been that the new owner must take out all of the alterations at his own expense.

The reason for this was given that the "Loss of the guesthouse would have a detramental effect on the local industry".Its in a town that relies on the tourist industry and although there are lots of guesthouses locally they wouldn't stand for losing one.I would say be very,very,very carefull OP
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Options
    If you get refused change of use by planning you can appeal, this is done nationally so it isn't a whitewash - we now have a bookies in a designated retail area as a result of that system.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Options
    I'm not so sure that you need to apply for change of use. Surely, this is a residential dwelling already, which also has PP for use as a guesthouse. But you will not be forced to operate a guesthouse business - you simply have permission to do that, should you wish to.
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure