PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Are landlords/Estate agents allowed to do this?

Options
13»

Comments

• pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,120 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The LL chooses to let to students, and given it's been all over the national newspapers about what a f*ck up the Student Loan Company made with the loans, then although late rent payments isn't good, they should have understood this.

They have NO RIGHT just to enter your property. You are entirely justified to have quiet enjoyment, and so long as you're not destroying the property, then it's up to you how messy it is, so long as you return it to its original (immaculate? - did you sign an inventory?) standard when you move out.

Did they protect your deposit?

If all your rent is now up to date, then I can't see they have any reason to evict you. Just check through the small print in your contract.

Personally I would change the locks. Take the barrel out and replace it, but keep the old barrel to put back when you leave. Then offer the LL two weekly 1 hour slots for showing tenants round, and say the property will be clean and tidy on these allotted times. Given they should NEVER just let themselves in, they should never know that you've changed the locks. If they comment, threaten to take them to court for attempted break in!!

You may be students, but that doesn't give the LL the right to treat you like cr*p!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • lizzielondon
    Options
    vaporate wrote: »
    Oh, so its ok for the LL to end the contract early but a big deal if the tenant wishes the same.

I don't see it being the LL business how the tenants live for what their paying for. As long as nothing is broken.

nobody is saying they ll can get out of the contract early and the tenant can't

a ll can issue a section 8 when 2 months rent is overdue- if this has happened then the tenants have broken the contract by not paying!

a section 21 gives 2 months notice when a tenant only has to give one months notice

and if the tenancy is still in fixed term then a ll has to issue 2 months notice whereas the tenant can leave with none at the end of the term (bit rude though, but legally sound)

tenants have more power really....
  • clutton_2
    clutton_2 Posts: 11,149 Forumite
    Options
    tenants have duty to behave in a "tenant like manner" which is a legal way of saying tenants have to look after the property

treating it like this is not looking after it... in my humble opinion....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure