PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Proof of deposit - Mortgage

Options
13»

Comments

• JamesTown_3
    Options
    I have come onto this thread a little late but perhaps I can clarify the situation.
    Proof of deposit: Some lenders may ask for this prior to issuing a mortgage offer. They can ask for not only proof of deposit but its source. This usually involves providing bank statements. In the case of a gift from a relative for example they will require a letter from the doner. This should confirm that the loan is a gift, is non-refundable and that the doner will not have any interest in the property.

Loan: If you take out a loan to assist in the purchase of a property it must be declared on the mortgage application. Providing that the monthly loan and mortgage payments meet with the lender's affordability criteria then theer is not a problem. I have known clients to take out a loan to increase their deposit so that they will get a 75% deal as opposed to an 80% one. The monthly payments on the 75% mortgage show a reduction that exceeds the loan repayments.

I cannot see where ther is anything illegal in this even if you take out a loan for say a car purchase and simply change your mind on the basis that a house purchase has taken priority. Further, most lenders can see the logic of taking out a loan that might cost £150 per month to make a saving of £200 by having a lower LTV deal. The loan is usually repayable over a shorter time than the mortgage term.

If your income meets the affordability criteria then there is absolutely no problem.

Hope that this helps.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport