We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

suitable feed for Basil

Options
I have grown some basil from seed, and I would like to give it some feed. I dont know why but I am reluctanct to feed it with miracle grow/phostrogen, probably cos we are going to end up eating it. Could anybody suggest a nice healthy alternative, although I am not sure whether either of them are healthy or not.

Comments

• pickledtink
    pickledtink Posts: 593 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Seaweed fertiliser.
    Fish ,blood and bone fertiliser.
    Both handy for the organic gardener to have anyway.
    Living on Earth can be expensive, but it does include an annual free trip around the Sun.
  • Paulo
    Paulo Posts: 58 Forumite
    Options
    Seaweed fertiliser.
    Fish ,blood and bone fertiliser.
    Both handy for the organic gardener to have anyway.

I live by the sea, can I just collect some seaweed to use as fertiliser?
  • wigginsmum
    wigginsmum Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    Options
    I wouldn't feed it - herbs prefer a less lush environment. Water is all you need for basil.
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
  • pickledtink
    pickledtink Posts: 593 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Paulo wrote:
    I live by the sea, can I just collect some seaweed to use as fertiliser?
    Yes but I think you have to rot it down first. In fact that reminds me I was going to research this cos I live by the sea too.
    Living on Earth can be expensive, but it does include an annual free trip around the Sun.
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Interesting article about using seaweed in the garden:

http://www.btinternet.com/~bury_rd/junetwo.htm#seaweed
  • heymylastnameislewis
    Options
    u could use human waste! thats what farmers do, or mirical grow!
    I Don't like you!
  • middleman_2
    middleman_2 Posts: 125 Forumite
    Options
    wigginsmum wrote:
    I wouldn't feed it - herbs prefer a less lush environment. Water is all you need for basil.

I agree, have been growing it successfully for a couple of years without any feed.
  • flashman_62
    Options
    middleman wrote:
    I agree, have been growing it successfully for a couple of years without any feed.

First time herb grower this year and my successes include basil and corriander. One of my Basil pots even recovered from a nasty slug attack. Just use water.
  • Willpower?
    Willpower? Posts: 75 Forumite
    Options
    First time herb grower this year and my successes include basil and corriander. One of my Basil pots even recovered from a nasty slug attack. Just use water.

Ooo. Please tell me your secret for keeping coriander alive. I have no trouble with basil but I can't keep coriander at all. It just wilts and dies. I've just got a pot today reduced to 30p and i don't want to kill this one too as I'll be in double figures :eek:
  • Snaggles
    Snaggles Posts: 19,503 Forumite
    Options
    I would agree about just using water too - it seems to like LOTS of it, and will grow quite happily with nothing else.
    "I wasn't wrong, I just wasn't right enough."
    :smileyhea
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family