Buying a car in the US?

Options
I'm currently in the US for a long holiday whilst my student visa application is being processed. I'm considering buying a car as renting for this time would be pretty expensive and wondering if anyone can give me some advice.

Can I buy, register and insure a car whilst on a tourist visa? Will I need proof of a permenant address?

Can I drive with my UK license or do I need to get a US license?

Thanks

Comments

• sharoo
    sharoo Posts: 38 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    which state will you be staying in? This site seems to say you can drive in new york with a uk license in New York.
    http://wings.buffalo.edu/intlservices/drivlicense.html

I have a massachusetts driving license and its very easy to obtain it with a simple written test and a 10 driving test.
  • Mr_Lahey
    Mr_Lahey Posts: 1,289 Forumite
    Options
    In most States you have at least a year iirc on your UK licence.
    The Summer Holiday of a Lifetime
  • Alt
    Alt Posts: 353 Forumite
    Options
    Better check the insurance cost. From what I have seen it generally is far more expensive than in the UK and probably even more for a non US license holder.

Cheers
  • malkie76
    malkie76 Posts: 6,170 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Insurance costs are pretty high with a US licence, and are insane on a non-US licence. Given how easy it is to obtain a US licence I'd do that - different states have slightly different rules, and you may have to attend a drugs and alcohol course before you can sit the test.
    Legal team on standby
  • neilbond007
    neilbond007 Posts: 2,111 Forumite
    Options
    I've lived in the US for 9 months and still only have a UK driving licence... I really should get round to sorting that out! Was going to do it this weekend (as insurance is due at end of month) but we're going to have 8+ inches of snow today!

I have a Mazda3. 6 months insurance = $700
    With a US licence it's about $500
  • discofuel
    Options
    Thanks for your replies.

I'm in California. Called a few insurance companies and they quoted me around $600 for 6 months liability only insurance on a 1999 Honda Accord.

They said at this stage it doesn't make any difference whether I have a UK or US license, my premium will only come down when I have 3 years driving experience.

With regards to registering a car with the DMV, do you need proof of a permanent US address? I'm currently staying with friends on the visa waiver program so will this be any issue?
  • ferf1223
    ferf1223 Posts: 8,935 Forumite
    Options
    The registration form asks for your residence address and CA drivers licence number.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg343.pdf

I'm not sure if you could be in for problems if you effectively are seen to be declaring an address as a residence when you are in the country under the VWP? In order to ensure you won't unknowingly cause problems with your student visa application it may be worth asking...I have no idea how closely these sorts of things would be monitored between state (car) and federal records (visa).
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
  • ferf1223
    ferf1223 Posts: 8,935 Forumite
    Options
    I've lived in the US for 9 months and still only have a UK driving licence... I really should get round to sorting that out! Was going to do it this weekend (as insurance is due at end of month) but we're going to have 8+ inches of snow today!

I have a Mazda3. 6 months insurance = $700
    With a US licence it's about $500

But did you register the car in your name? When I moved to Ohio from Illinois and went to register the car as the plates were about to expire they required me to get an Ohio licence right then (thrown into the testing room to take the written test there and then)...they said I couldn't register the car without an Ohio licence.

Admittedly this was about 1994...so it could have changed. :)
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    discofuel wrote: »
    With regards to registering a car with the DMV, do you need proof of a permanent US address? I'm currently staying with friends on the visa waiver program so will this be any issue?

It might be - you are going to have to ask the California DMV about it

BTW - you said in your first post you are on a tourist visa, which is in direct contradiction with your mention of the visa waiver program now. Make sure you ask the DMV using the right terminology, or you might get a wrong answer. It's possible that the rules differ for visa holders.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure