We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

if martin brought out a monthly moneysaving mag would you buy it ?

Options
2»

Comments

• greyster
    greyster Posts: 2,392 Forumite
    Options
    No.

Internet is better medium for distribution.

Think of the trees too :)
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    COOLTRIKERCHICK Posts: 10,510 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    good point trafalgar.......i am not getting away from the fact that yes the internet is the best way.....but....what about the people who are not on the interenet........at the mo......my savings that i am making via mse.and other similar sites ....with the info...justifys my monthly internet charge.... but...there could come a time that i might need to cancel my connection for a spell.... like i have done in the past.....to get me over a cashflow....blip.....

if the money off vouchers in the mag were a lot more than the price of the mag......that also could be a good selling point...
    Work to live= not live to work
  • Baileys_Babe
    Baileys_Babe Posts: 5,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I love this site but I don't think a mag would work except as Trafalgar suggests. The people it would be aimed at are unlikely to have the money to buy it, and the rest of us would be looking out for the free trial.
    Fashion on a ration 2024 66/66 coupons remaining
    80 coupons rolled over 0/80 coupons spent - using for secondhand purchases

One
     income, home educating family 
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    fair comment baileys babe... but what if the money off vouchers.... discounts far out weight the price of the mag..... example.... price of mag £3.50
    money off coupons which are for every day shopping items...£10.00 and other discounts holidays ....train travel....clothing etc...
  • trafalgar_2
    trafalgar_2 Posts: 22,309 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    fair comment baileys babe... but what if the money off vouchers.... discounts far out weight the price of the mag..... example.... price of mag £3.50
    money off coupons which are for every day shopping items...£10.00 and other discounts holidays ....train travel....clothing etc...

it's a great idea in principal but not sure how you could keep it going ,money off vouchers etc usually come with advertising in the mag ....................but

1, you have to be able to do this consistently and 2,..................martin keeps the site ad free ,that way there is never a conflict of interests when he doesn't recommend one thing but will recommend another ,if you see what I mean

a magazines costs would be taken from advertising ....................

the only way I could see it working is if consumer protection/advice agencies paid for it ........................I can see them doing that for a leaflet or supplement but not a regular magazine
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ye... see your point trafalgar.......i just think its a pity there is so many people that dont have access to the internet.......but as you say once adverts come in to the picture.... then that could.. be like a form of endorsement for the product or service etc.......
  • smashed
    smashed Posts: 1,043 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I dont think you can do it viably.
    As everybody else has said, the forum is awash with things that come and go so quickly. A weekly publication would be out of date before it was even written, never mind produced and then dispatched.
    What new articles could you put in every week? Who would want to pay when it is free online?
    Which companies would want to advertise in it when they know that it is a consumer magazine aimed against most of these large companies in the 1st place?
    Can you imagine a company advertising, and then Martin suggesting a rival company further down the page?
    Companies paying MSE would go 100% against what MSE is all about. It would compromise Martins position I am afraid :(
    Be nice
  • cozzie
    cozzie Posts: 521 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Like your thinking and can understand where everyone is coming from.

So, how about 1 page in a magazine with item's about budgetting and quotes from these forums etc with offers that peeps who don't come onto this site have missed, links and advertising for Martin and that page could be opposite a page of coupons with some more advertising for the site like "more coupons to be had (insert link)".
    "And crawling on the planet's face,
    Some insects called the human race,
    Lost in time, and lost in space,
    And meaning"
  • xbox
    xbox Posts: 7,797 Forumite
    Options
    not sure what the gain would be :confused:

site income comes through referral links

I really do think that if ya have net access and money "issues" - good or bad you'll find this place

His profile has improved over the past two years - not a flipping week goes past without him saying "moneysavingexpertdotcom" on TV/Radio

would he do it through altruisim - mebbe as a one off - but that would then dilute what he could "sell" - i.e. write/broadcast
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,913 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Martin already writes columns for newspapers.

As for changing the way people without internet access think about money and providing diagrams, doesn't the Money Diet do that? I gave several copies away as Christmas presents this year, so I'm trying to spread the gospel :D

If there were a magazine and it came with a subscription offer £1 an issue, a free gift and a free poster of Martin each month in various stripey shirts I'd buy it. ;)
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport