first gas bill 6 months after moving in

Options
Hi all, would just like a bit of advice.

I moved into my new house last june. The guy we bought from gave us details of the electric supplier but said that he had never had a gas bill. obviously i thought this was a bit dodgy so called edf, the electric supplier to see if they supplied the gas too. they didnt and also tried to "do a search" to see if they could find the supplier, they couldnt. I also called the national grid and they couldnt see who the supplier was. So after this thought we were onto a winner and left it as it was.

Today, 6 months on we have a gas bill from Scottish Power dating from nov 08 to nov 09 for about £450, on top of a previous out standing bill of £1600. The previous owner lived there for about 4 years. What is the best action to take? Obviously I agree we should pay for gas we have used but considering we only put the heating on in oct/nov most of this bill isnt ours.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Darksun
    Darksun Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    Options
    Did you get a meter reading when you moved in? Just give Scottish Power that reading and your current reading and they'll calculate what you owe and then send a bill. You can then look into changing your supplier for the best deal if you want.

Don't worry about any money owed from when you're not living there, it's not your responsibility, it's up to Scottish Power to chase the old owners/occupiers
  • System
    System Posts: 178,107 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 3 February 2010 at 1:40PM
    Options
    jenkaroo wrote: »
    So after this thought we were onto a winner and left it as it was.

??? what did you think would happen eventually ? the gas/electric fairy would pay .
  • markharding557
    Options
    if you have no meter readings then you will have to make do with estimates.
    they will want proof of when you moved in.
  • gizzit
    gizzit Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I was quite surprised to come across something which was so relevant to a similar situation I find myself in.

I'm completing on a house next week, and have very strong reason to believe that no gas has ever been billed to the property since it was built 10 years ago.

I want to do things by the book from day one (ie get a gas supplier ASAP and pay the bill from the moment I get in there). Oh, and of course, I don't really want to get stung for 10 years worth of gas!

Thing is, I'm not sure of the best way to go about this. Obviously we've got no details of a supplier as part of the moving process, so I don't really know where to start. Also, will it be enough for whichever gas company I go with to have a meter reading that I take (since I'd imagine there'll be no other records of gas meter readings anywhere else).

Any ideas folks?

Thanks!
  • markharding557
    Options
    First take meter readings when you get the keys.
    second find who the supplier is and give them these readings and open an account with them.
    this should helphttp://2010.energynetworks.org/faq-who-is-my-gaselectricity-s/;jsessionid=D5684091F190FF4EBDCC17165C67BFB0.web117
    If you wish you can change supplier after 1 month
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family