Forum Home» Reclaim PPI & Other Insurance» Reclaim Bank & Credit Card Charges

Bank Charges Reclaiming Guide discussion - Page 165

New Post Advanced Search

Bank Charges Reclaiming Guide discussion

1.8K replies 454.8K views
1162163165167168180

Replies

  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Blondie83 wrote: »
    MIs there any route to reclaiming the monthly fee that he!!!8217;s been paying the last couple of years under financial hardship?
    No he can't "claim" back any historical charges. If his account is closed, I'm assuming the debt has defaulted and has (or soon will be) sold to a debt collector? If so, he is no longer a customer of First Direct. If not, he might be able to persuade the Bank to suspend interest charges and arrange some kind of affordable payment plan. Obvious first port of call is the Bank...

    However, it sounds like you need to get some serious debt advice. Post you Statement Of Affairs (SOA) on the Debt Free Wannabe Board.
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    102.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I know we can challenge the overdraft fees but not sure about the monthly fee?

    What makes you think that? After the banks won the court case in 2009, the reclaiming of unfair bank charges ended. You are nearly a decade too late.

    Today, the banks only consider current financial hardship cases and only with current customers. Even then, they may not refund anything as they have other options open to them as well.
    They are putting him more and more in debt each month including pushing into unarranged overdraft.

    But you said they closed his account. So, how are they doing this?

    I agree with moneyineptitude above. The Debt free wannabe section has a lot of very good posters who can let you know the options.

    Getting a refund of 3-6 months bank charges as as goodwill gesture doesnt sound like it will solve any problems. Its time to look at this seriously.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • TomboTombo Forumite
    994 posts
    I've just filled in the letter template and have got it ready to post. I've been charged £104 by Natwest, across 3 payments. On one occasion I was charged £72 at once _pale__pale__pale_
    2008 Wins: The Shapes - Get Your Learn On (CD), Free transport to and from a Christmas Party
    2009 Wins: Years Supply of Orbit Complete (144 packets), £50 of Odeon vouchers
    2018 Wins: Rockstar Energy Drink Headphones
    :jDebt-Free Wannabe!! :j
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    102.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Tombo wrote: »
    I've just filled in the letter template and have got it ready to post. I've been charged £104 by Natwest, across 3 payments. On one occasion I was charged £72 at once _pale__pale__pale_

    This thread is about unfair bank charges. Since 2009, template letter complaints about unfair bank charges have failed.

    You should not use any template letter. It should be personalised to your scenario, avoid any talk of unfair or unreasonable and you should remember that you are reliant on them giving you a goodwill gesture. So, the tone should reflect that by getting the person at the other end on your side. e.g. pointing out how you have banked with them for decades and never had charges before and it was an accidental blip due to whatever....
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • jmchownjmchown Forumite
    5 posts
    I have followed the steps on resolver and had Lloyds ring me with regards to my claim. went through how i was pressured into keeping it and only way i could have an overdraft.
    They have since come back with that it was over 3 years in may that i changed from a premier account to a free account and that Lloyds will not do anything over this account. how long do I have to wait to go to the ombudsmen now they have replied. do i need to wait for there letter to come through before the next steps etc. Guidance on this matter would be appreciated.
  • NasqueronNasqueron Forumite
    7.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    jmchown wrote: »
    I have followed the steps on resolver and had Lloyds ring me with regards to my claim. went through how i was pressured into keeping it and only way i could have an overdraft.
    They have since come back with that it was over 3 years in may that i changed from a premier account to a free account and that Lloyds will not do anything over this account. how long do I have to wait to go to the ombudsmen now they have replied. do i need to wait for there letter to come through before the next steps etc. Guidance on this matter would be appreciated.

    You've posted this in the topic about bank charges, not packaged accounts.

    You can go to the ombudsman immediately but if the 3 year rule is applied correctly, your case is time barred and your case will be rejected
    the concept of a United States of Europe is right.” Winston Churchill 1930
    I think that the Government are right to apply to join the European Economic Community...” -Winston Churchill 1961
    “The future of Europe if Britain were to be excluded is black indeed.”[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] - Winston Churchill 1963
    [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
  • TomboTombo Forumite
    994 posts
    dunstonh wrote: »
    This thread is about unfair bank charges. Since 2009, template letter complaints about unfair bank charges have failed.

    You should not use any template letter. It should be personalised to your scenario, avoid any talk of unfair or unreasonable and you should remember that you are reliant on them giving you a goodwill gesture. So, the tone should reflect that by getting the person at the other end on your side. e.g. pointing out how you have banked with them for decades and never had charges before and it was an accidental blip due to whatever....



    Mine worked, I followed the guide from the MSE main website and used the template which contained sections to personalise. I received a full refund today which I am really happy about :)
    2008 Wins: The Shapes - Get Your Learn On (CD), Free transport to and from a Christmas Party
    2009 Wins: Years Supply of Orbit Complete (144 packets), £50 of Odeon vouchers
    2018 Wins: Rockstar Energy Drink Headphones
    :jDebt-Free Wannabe!! :j
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    102.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Tombo wrote: »
    Mine worked, I followed the guide from the MSE main website and used the template which contained sections to personalise. I received a full refund today which I am really happy about :)

    You should go to the media as unfair bank charges complaint successes are unheard of since 2009. You would be only the third known person to succeed.

    or perhaps yours was not unfair bank charges but something else. Your post suggests it was likely a goodwill gesture for first time charge.

    Template letters are still bad to use. The FOS also tell people not to use them.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • TomboTombo Forumite
    994 posts
    dunstonh wrote: »
    You should go to the media as unfair bank charges complaint successes are unheard of since 2009. You would be only the third known person to succeed.

    or perhaps yours was not unfair bank charges but something else. Your post suggests it was likely a goodwill gesture for first time charge.

    Template letters are still bad to use. The FOS also tell people not to use them.

    I just followed the guide here (https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/bank-charges/)

    I received several unplanned overdraft fees that put me in even worse financial hardship than what I was in. I have had a difficult year and I am currently on ESA for health issues so the excessive charges were too much for me to handle

    It shows up on my account as an unarranged overdraft refund

    It is a personal situation for me so I don't really want to sing about it in the media
    2008 Wins: The Shapes - Get Your Learn On (CD), Free transport to and from a Christmas Party
    2009 Wins: Years Supply of Orbit Complete (144 packets), £50 of Odeon vouchers
    2018 Wins: Rockstar Energy Drink Headphones
    :jDebt-Free Wannabe!! :j
  • NasqueronNasqueron Forumite
    7.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tombo wrote: »
    I just followed the guide here (https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/bank-charges/)

    I received several unplanned overdraft fees that put me in even worse financial hardship than what I was in. I have had a difficult year and I am currently on ESA for health issues so the excessive charges were too much for me to handle

    It shows up on my account as an unarranged overdraft refund

    It is a personal situation for me so I don't really want to sing about it in the media


    Financial hardship refund for current problems then, not historical charge / "unfair" charge refund.
    the concept of a United States of Europe is right.” Winston Churchill 1930
    I think that the Government are right to apply to join the European Economic Community...” -Winston Churchill 1961
    “The future of Europe if Britain were to be excluded is black indeed.”[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] - Winston Churchill 1963
    [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
Sign In or Register to comment.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support