🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

How do I deal with dog chewing?

Options

Comments

• maggie110
    Options
    A sprinkle of white vinegar will stop a dog from chewing and going near areas that you put it, I have always used this with my 3 dogs and it works and is not harmfull to them.
  • mutley_muppet
    Options
    I agree that the dog should have kongs etc to keep her occupied.

In the meantime use this grannick bitter apple spray : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GRANNICKS-BITTER-APPLE-SPRAY-TASTE-DETERRENT-236ml_W0QQitemZ360114836905QQihZ023QQcategoryZ20751QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

It doesnt stain and you can spray it on furniture, sofas, carpet, plants etc.

I used to work in kennels for years and found that this is the only spray that works with All dogs. Other brands eg. Pedigree etc. dont seem to work so well.

It only made of bitter apples so wont harm her.
    Good luck.
    Mm x
    "I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do or any kindness I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again."

Stephen Grellet, (1773-1855).
  • dontone
    dontone Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We used to use that "don't chew" spray stuff to stop our hound chewing, but it only works for a little while and wears off.
    We used some strong, hot, pepper sauce and our pooch loved it :rolleyes: .

Red hot chilli powder works a treat though.

We now put our Monty in his crate with lots of chewy stuff to keep him occupied. He ends up just going to sleep.
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin':T :j
  • Swans1912
    Swans1912 Posts: 1,658 Forumite
    Options
    I find that if i give my puppy a pigs ear then he wont chew on any household items. But as your puppy is under 1 year i'd recommend that if you do give him one then not to leave him unattended with it to avoid the possibility of choking. I also use a Kong, the teething one I find very useful, its a tube with lots of grooves in it and ive bought a meat paste squirty can to fill the grooves, it keeps my puppy entertained for hours while I'm out of the house.
  • Milford_Cubicle
    Options
    Pigs ears are quite rich as well and don't always agree with young dogs - I know of several owners of Lab pups who have fed them a pigs ear and then had to deal with the subsequent vomiting/pooing.
  • tattoed_bum
    tattoed_bum Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    Options
    hi i have a year old samoyed huskey ,he is a beautiful dog and usually well behaved but over the last couple of weeks he has taken to chewing anything and everything ,
    over the last week he has chewed my wallpaper of my wall and now this morning i have got up and he has chewed 2 seats off my dining room chairs .

he gets walked 4 times a day and he has constant access to the garden ,
    he has chew toys and chew bones ,

can anyone help with suggestions please before i have no house left please
  • orlao
    orlao Posts: 1,090 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh dear, I think you have a teenage dog;)

Only thing I can suggest is crate training (google it) properly so he can't get at the furniture and walls while unsupervised.

If it's any consolation he should grow out of it relatively quickly as long as you nip it in the bud now so it doesn't become a habit!

HTH
  • Kimitatsu
    Kimitatsu Posts: 3,894 Forumite
    Options
    dog crate

All of the spitz breeds (and probably many others) are capable of chewing the house around you if you let them! I have had dogs which have chewed holes in plaster walls before now, either because they are bored or because they are worried about something. I have a Shiba who at the age of 10 will still chew the walls if it is really windy.

We have a working cocker spaniel who is very chewy so when we go out she goes into the crate, she feels safe, I feel safe because I know I wont go home to carnage, hence one happy household. She has a large crate with a Kong toy in it which is filled with treats for her to extract if she is bored but as far as I can tell most of the time she goes to sleep.

You can get the crates from Pet City (expensive) Argos (cheaper but not great quality) or lots of places online (if you have a search many are doing special offers this week due to Crufts)

The other reason they may be chewing is they are teething - dogs when they get their second teeth go through a point where the teeth settle into the jaw and they chew everything in sight. Try some toys in the fridge to chew to see if that helps - carrots are always good for that too.
    Free/impartial debt advice: Consumer Credit Counselling Service (CCCS) | National Debtline | Find your local CAB
  • Raksha
    Raksha Posts: 4,570 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Provide alternatives that he wants to chew - chew toys are OK, but if the dog finds then too hard/soft or plain not satisfying, they will find alternatives. One of my dogs loves the plastic Nylabone type, the others don't. They also have to be the right size - if it's too small, the dog just won't be able to hold it in his paws and be able to reach it.

Just putting him in a crate to prevent him reaching the things he would like to chew is going to give you a very frustrated dog.
    Please forgive me if my comments seem abrupt or my questions have obvious answers, I have a mental health condition which affects my ability to see things as others might.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport