PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Unregistering a Business name at my home address?

Options
Hi,

There didn't seem to be a definite board to post this on, so I hope someone in here can help!

I'm constantly having trouble whith companies not being able to locate my address. A lot of the time it means I can't sign up for things online (i.e. just now when I tried to find out my cedit rating) because my address isn't recognised. I moved into a flat 6 months ago. it's through a letting agency. The girl I share with has been here for 2yrs or more - her co-tennant moved out 6 months ago and I took over her half of the lease.

Anyway, we're in a top flat. There's a flat below us, which has been vacant for around 5 months. The Landlady has currently got builders in, converting it into a new residence. Underneath that flat is a shop. Our address is Flat 2, 59-61. Whenever a company tries to register this as my address, the only 2 options available are 61(the shop) and 59-61 Genus Recruitment.

I can only guess that the flat below used to be a business premises. But now there's nobody there and I want my home address back! Even when I search on the Post Office website, it comes up with 61, the shop and 59-61 Genus Recruitment. Is there any way/anywhere I can unregister this Business name at our address?

Many thanks!

Shelleywa

Comments

• BitterAndTwisted
    Options
    What does your Council Tax bill have as your address?
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What does royal mail think your address is, have the flats ever been properly registered with the authorities?
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You need to talk to the Post Office.

A few years back, when I worked in a financial co., the address database was supplied to the co. by the Post Office, and formed the basis for all postcode etc searches.

If it's recorded incorrectly in the package the PO sends out, it'll be wrong everywhere. Talk to the PO.
  • prudryden
    prudryden Posts: 2,075 Forumite
    Options
    There is a strong possibility that the flat has not been registered with the council as a separate dwelling. Who pays the council tax and what is on the mailing address? It would be very easy to get an answer from the council - one phone call to the tax department will clarify everything --maybe!!
    FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
  • shelleywa
    shelleywa Posts: 125 Forumite
    Options
    OK, I'll have a word with the Post Office. Will the fact that we are residential and not a Business affect our council tax bill though? Wouldn't want that to go up!...
  • prudryden
    Options
    shelleywa wrote: »
    OK, I'll have a word with the Post Office. Will the fact that we are residential and not a Business affect our council tax bill though? Wouldn't want that to go up!...

If you are not a business, then you are already paying residential council tax. Business would be higher.
    FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
  • shelleywa
    shelleywa Posts: 125 Forumite
    Options
    Our CT bill is Flat 2, 59/61...
  • prudryden
    Options

Ummm. Must be the database then.
    FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
  • DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    Options
    googler wrote: »
    You need to talk to the Post Office.

A few years back, when I worked in a financial co., the address database was supplied to the co. by the Post Office, and formed the basis for all postcode etc searches.

If it's recorded incorrectly in the package the PO sends out, it'll be wrong everywhere. Talk to the PO.
    Post Office -> Royal Mail
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    Options
    prudryden wrote: »
    Ummm. Must be the database then.
    THE database? It is in a database, the council's council tax database. Not necessarily in Royal Mail's database.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure