PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

First time buyer-just want your opinion

Options
purcel
purcel Posts: 1,561 Forumite
Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
edited 31 January 2010 at 11:56AM in House buying, renting & selling
Hi all,
We've finally managed to get a deposit(yay) and we have seen quite a few properties in the last month but only one catched our interest.

The garden is a bit unusual , it has a bit of a patio area at the bottom and then some really steep stairs that takes you to another type of patio.

Just wanted your opinion as to what should be our first offer.

The price is really good for this type of property in the area(3 bedrooms, really nicely decorated, garage en bloc), do you think it is because of the type of garden it has?

Also we do plan to stay in the property for quite a long time, but we were still a bit worried that we might have problems to sell (when and if we would decide to move) just because the garden is unusual.

Thanks for your help and your opinions.

Comments

• pastmybest
    Options
    I was going to look but the link is not working for me.
  • Running_Horse
    Running_Horse Posts: 11,807 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is that Downswood or Shepway? Probably makes a difference, if you know what I mean.

I wouldn't want a steep garden for my family, but that's me. I like to kick a ball and run around.
    Been away for a while.
  • purcel
    Options
    I am not sure if it is classed as Shepway or Downswood as it is in between these. It looks a decent area, and the rooms are a good size and not far from my Husband's work. For what we can afford there are no 3 bedrooms ones with a bigger garden in a decent area.
  • pastmybest
    Options
    I have lived in houses with both types of slope. Those where the garden rises steeply and those where the garden drops steeply.

The only advice I can give is that in both cases there will be a lot who overwise would of bought but who will not. It will cut out those with kids as nowhere to play and steep steps to the front door in a family home especially with prams. Also cuts out older who see the steps as a worry.

Both of my past houses we on the level on the front but the back gardens were off putters so you may buy something with a double off putter. I was able to have a gardener do the garden but costs were around £20 per time for mowing plus extra for other types of work. But the house does look good but I doubt buyers will want to factor in extra gardener costs.
  • Running_Horse
    Options
    Is that your price limit and must it be three bedrooms?

We gave up on Maidstone and looked in places like Lenham, Ditton, and Wouldham.
    Been away for a while.
  • purcel
    edited 30 January 2010 at 12:53PM
    Options
    It doesn't have to be 3 bedrooms.We have seen 2 bedrooms ones with small garden as well and priced more than this one.

Unfortunately it has to be around 3 miles away from Bearsted as my husband works there and doesn't drive, so he'll have to cycle, so Lenham, ditton, etc is not even an option
  • Running_Horse
    Options
    I got round that problem by getting a provisional license and a cheap motorbike. It opened up a few more possibilities. If that's not likely, I would go for area before house size.
    Been away for a while.
  • purcel
    edited 30 January 2010 at 12:43PM
    Options
    Well, this one is in a decent area, doesn't need updating and it is more than we wanted really as we've never thought we can afford a 3 bedroom one.
  • sprocker1
    Options
    Bearing in mind its been on sale for 5 months+ I think I would go in at £138,950

Good luck
  • purcel
    Options
    Sorry, I might be thick, but how do you know it's been for sale for 5 months?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure