Favours Help!?

Options

Comments

• Saint_Chris
    Saint_Chris Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Options
    I have found several cheap suppliers of the lanterns

you can get these from poundland for a pound funnily

for our favours, again poundland have bride and groom, cake box holders, 10 in a pack

I've bought them, and i'm going to put a lottery ticket inside each one.
  • Abbey1
    Abbey1 Posts: 34 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    For my niece's wedding I did little miniature perfumes in a satin bag (from China) with a business card from Vista print saying 'Scent with love'. For my daughter's wedding I am doing miniature rose bushes in the same satin bags (because they sent me double by mistake) with a little business card saying 'plant with love'. The perfumes were very popular and none were left. I figure if the plants are left behind we can plant them in our own garden. I have seen too many favours left behind at weddings. A complete waste of money.
  • hayleythedaisy
    Options
    please don't use the chinese lanterns - i've seen many peoples possessions damaged by these. And heard of many coastguard being sent to see for a "rescue flair" and received many calls from the public on emergency lines because they can see fire but they are not sure where from. They are pretty but unfortunately just not safe :-(
    Bump due 22nd September
  • tartantotty
    Options
    I am being tight so not having favours as such, but having some handmade chocs (made by a local chocolatier) in the rooms of guests that are staying over at the venue, as a thank you for coming! My friend is a teacher and her class of 5 year olds are going to make little thank you tags to go on them! :)
  • angel13
    angel13 Posts: 2,272 Forumite
    Options
    as for the chinese lanterns why shouldnt someone have them as they are not banned? I have seen lots released near us over the last couple of years. as long as the weather is damp there will not be a problem. its a bit like saying people shouldnt have fireworks becuase other people around dont like them but they also are not banned.

as for ideas what is the theme? how about homemade candles in teacups, seeds, personalise some notebooks. for example i do not plan on having any flowers at all but am considering books etc and that style of things as centrepieces so will go for quirky gifts for all the guests to match.
  • angel13
    angel13 Posts: 2,272 Forumite
    Options
    I am being tight so not having favours as such, but having some handmade chocs (made by a local chocolatier) in the rooms of guests that are staying over at the venue, as a thank you for coming! My friend is a teacher and her class of 5 year olds are going to make little thank you tags to go on them! :)

why would a teacher be getting her pupils to make thank you tags for your wedding guests? does this not seem a bit strange as should they not be focussing on their own work or maybe some artwork for their parents or people they know? I would not like it if thats what my son was doing at school. why not just make your own tags?
  • floss2
    floss2 Posts: 8,030 Forumite
    Options
    angel13 wrote: »
    ..... as long as the weather is damp there will not be a problem......

How can you guarantee "damp" weather? I don't really want it to be damp when I get married!!

And TBH, I saw loads at New Year, very nice, very romantic, but the one that fell down into the shrubs at the side of the railway line caused a small litter fire....imagine what several could do to dry grass/shrubs or even cars.
  • floss2
    floss2 Posts: 8,030 Forumite
    Options
    angel13 wrote: »
    why would a teacher be getting her pupils to make thank you tags for your wedding guests? does this not seem a bit strange as should they not be focussing on their own work or maybe some artwork for their parents or people they know? I would not like it if thats what my son was doing at school. why not just make your own tags?

Perhaps it will fit into a project they are doing....perhaps Tartantotty has a connection with the school...perhaps Tartantotty would prefer her gifts to have a handmade tag but does not have the time to make her own.
  • picklepick
    picklepick Posts: 4,048 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    hmm i was thinking about having the lanterns but now im not so sure. i guess with fireworks the 'fire' is all the way up in the sky and u get the odd bit of stick, or plastic etc falling down, i didnt really think about what happens to the lantern after they've floated off... our weddings in the country, imagine what would happen if it fell on a thatched roof or something equally horrific!
    maybe not such a good idea then....

anyway back to favours... theres loads of lovely ideas on these sites..

www.oncewed.com
    www.stylemepretty.com
    What matters most is how well you walk through the fire
  • pretzelnut
    pretzelnut Posts: 4,301 Forumite
    Options
    please don't use the chinese lanterns - i've seen many peoples possessions damaged by these. And heard of many coastguard being sent to see for a "rescue flair" and received many calls from the public on emergency lines because they can see fire but they are not sure where from. They are pretty but unfortunately just not safe :-(

I really hadnt thought of that.
    I was aware of people thinking they were UFO's and reporting that but never fires or the coast guard thing.
    We are getting married not to far from the sea so i wouldnt want to cause any unnecessaty alarm, especially as the resources are needed elsewhere.

But TBH i have seen loads of them lit and after the have reached a certain height they go out, and they dont last to long, A few minutes at most.

oooooh i dont know what to so now.
    :TIs thankful to those who have shared their :T
    :T fortune with those less fortunate :T
    :T than themselves - you know who you are!
    :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport