We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Blackhorse/Lloyds PPI Help!

Options
I have a claim from 2001 with BH which I have taken to the FOS, they are taking it up with the underwriters, which BH advised me were Lloyds TSB. This week is the deadline before it gets passed to adjudication so I rang Lloyds to chase. Only to be told they have no record of us and that they don't underwrite BH. I feel like both are copping out and am being passed from pillar to post here. Will FOS be able to sort this?

Comments

• marshallka
    marshallka Posts: 14,585 Forumite
    edited 26 January 2010 at 7:55PM
    Options
    I have a claim from 2001 with BH which I have taken to the FOS, they are taking it up with the underwriters, which BH advised me were Lloyds TSB. This week is the deadline before it gets passed to adjudication so I rang Lloyds to chase. Only to be told they have no record of us and that they don't underwrite BH. I feel like both are copping out and am being passed from pillar to post here. Will FOS be able to sort this?
    Hi Robbie, who told you it was Lloyds TSB??? I would wonder about Lloyds of London but would not think that LLoyds TSB did actually underwrite polices???? I may be wrong here as they were owned by them so do not quote me.

I would also think if FOS told you it was them even if they deny knowing anything that FOS would be able to get a response and details etc. I would let them know what they have said and get the complaint in for the queue.

Just found this thread here and the poster who also was complaining to Lloyds TSB had the same response as you???
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=2087477&page=2

Don't know if this is any use for dates etc??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lloyds_Banking_Group
  • robbiewilliams
    Options
    Hi, it was BH themselves! But getting any sense out of them is a joke really!
  • marshallka
    edited 26 January 2010 at 8:18PM
    Options
    It says here

In 2000, the group acquired Scottish Widows, a mutual life-assurance company based in Edinburgh in a deal worth £7 billion.This made the group the second-largest provider of life assurance and pensions in the UK after the Prudential. In September the same year, Lloyds TSB purchased Chartered Trust from the Standard Chartered Bank for £627m to form Lloyds TSB Asset Finance Division which provides motor, retail and personal finance in the United Kingdom under the trading name Black Horse.

Did you actually address it to Lloyds TSB Asset Finance?

And then from something I posted before here

Lloyds TSB distributes PPI through the divisions ‘UK Retail Banking’25 (UKRB) and the business unit ‘Asset Finance’26 (AF) (within the ‘Wholesale and International Banking’ division). PPI distributed within UKRB includes PLPPI, MPPI and CCPPI. PPI is distributed within AF under the ‘Black Horse’ brand and includes PLPPI, SMPPI, retail finance PPI and motor finance PPI.
  • marshallka
    edited 26 January 2010 at 8:39PM
    Options
    I have found another address here for the Compliance Team at Lloyds TSB Asset Finance

Compliance Manager
    LTSB Asset Finance Division
    Holbrook House
    116 Cockfosters Rd
    Barnet
    EN4 0DY

Seems the above address is on the divisions of BH so maybe writing to Cardiff was the wrong one perhaps? (that is if you did???).

A bit more info on them here

http://www.oft.gov.uk/advice_and_resources/resource_base/consumer-regulations/traders/2019/1/
  • robbiewilliams
    Options
    Thanks Marshalka. FOS have written to Lloyds TSB Insurance, Customer Care Team in Newport. What's best to do - leave it to FOS to sort?
  • marshallka
    edited 26 January 2010 at 8:55PM
    Options
    Thanks Marshalka. FOS have written to Lloyds TSB Insurance, Customer Care Team in Newport. What's best to do - leave it to FOS to sort?
    Blimey, they must know, surely they would???? I have been googling for the past hour and I think it should be this Lloyds TSB Asset Finance (which is a division of the Lloyds group) BUT perhaps they would know more as they are the ones listed on Wikipedia as being the ones that went under the trading name BH. Also I have found that they also DID underwrite policies??? I have found another address here for them but in Edinburgh
    Lloyds TSB Asset Finance
    Finance House, Orchard Brae
    Edinburgh
    EH4 1PF

Personally I would let FOS deal with it now BUT make them aware that Lloyds have written saying no knowledge of you. Take it from there. I have perhaps confused things more now.

Perhaps a SAR request may come in useful though to the Compliance Address. Might be of use to you.
  • marshallka
    edited 26 January 2010 at 9:19PM
    Options
    Just to confuse things even more. On the FSA register it says that

416078 - Ltsb Scottish Asset Finance Ltd (who appear not to be trading now)

had former principals "Black Horse Finance".?????

and then there used to be another Black Horse Limited registered at the address I gave you above

116 Cockfosters Road
    Barnet
    EN4 0DY

BUT they are no longer authorised. THEY had principals being

Legal and General Assurance Society Limited 117659 01/06/1960 01/12/2001
    Legal and General (Unit Trust Managers) Limited 119273 01/06/1960 01/12/2001
    Legal and General (Portfolio Management Services) Ltd 146786 01/06/1960 01/12/2001

Maybe its actually these you need to complain to as YOUR loan was in 2001? Just trying to do some digging for you.;)
  • robbiewilliams
    Options
    thanks. Yes am completely lost by this whole thing. Hopefully FOS can sort, eventually!
  • marshallka
    edited 26 January 2010 at 9:48PM
    Options
    thanks. Yes am completely lost by this whole thing. Hopefully FOS can sort, eventually!
    Added some more above and it may be the Legal and General as your loan was in 2001. I think that you may be best making the complaint there as well (in case your complaint with FOS is going to take forever for someone to actually look at). It won't do any harm as they can only say that they have never heard of you either.

Legal & General Assurance Society Limited
    One Coleman Street
    London
    EC2R 5AA

Robbie it would really help here if you could give the EXACT name of Black Horse (either BH finance Limited or BH financial etc) and their company number etc that is on your first agreement/correspondence you have with them. We also need the FIRST address.

Was it this one

BLACK HORSE LIMITED
    25 GRESHAM STREET
    LONDON
    EC2V 7HN
    Company No. 00661204

If it was this one then it is Lloyds TSB Bank Plc as if you put the postcode into the FSA register it brings up Lloyds TSB Bank Plc and they were authorised since 1st December, 2001 and it says to contact for complaints

Contact for Complaints

Customer Care General Banking Address: Two Brindley Place
    Birmingham
    West Midlands
    B1 2AB

and contact here

Contact(s) responsible for insurance mediation: Mr John Eric Daniels
    44 012 1224 3547
    44 084 5300 1289
  • robbiewilliams
    Options
    Hi it was Black Horse Ltd, Newport Rd, Cardiff CF24 OSR. No company number.
    Could I approach Legal and General myself?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure