MSE News: Barclaycard to launch cashback scheme

This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:
"Barclaycard is launching a reward scheme in March that will pay 1% cashback, but not on all spending..."
OfficialStamp.gif

Comments

• co123456
    co123456 Posts: 368 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Barclaycard in headline grabbing story which might be good but then again might be not good shocker.

The card looks like it's aimed at small to medium sized retailers, which I read as 'independent retailers'. Are Barclaycard requiring that retailers sign up to their contactless technology in order to participate?
  • CannyJock
    CannyJock Posts: 3,838 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 25 January 2010 at 4:53PM
    Are Barclaycard requiring that retailers sign up to their contactless technology in order to participate?

Interesting query. No doubt will be part of the "Further Catches To Be Announced" marketing campaign and they'll let us know in due course.

But add this to the Santander 0% fee card (with some easily workable catches) and hopefully is some sign of creative thinking in the CC world that can be used to advantage.
    "A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five." - Groucho Marx
  • MPH80
    MPH80 Posts: 973 Forumite
    To me it looks like it's going to require some work on the part of the retailers - it talks about seeing your balance on the chip and pin machine - well that's going to need software updates (for example).

But the idea of being able to spend the cashback built up on your card on something specific might be alluring to some people.
  • Barclaycard mentioned this new product to me last year when I called to cancel my card (link).

As an interim to keep my business, they offered me 2% cashback that was credited every month for 6 months. When this 6 months expired they agreed to another 6 months with 1% cashback - again, paid each month.

During the interim I couldn't use the instant cashback to pay for goods in store.

It's better than waiting a whole year for the cashback but it will be interesting to see how comprehensively retailers take it up. I would revert to my Capital One card if cashback becomes is too random with Barclaycard.

GG
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.
  • Rob_07
    Rob_07 Posts: 122 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    They have launched a new section on there website all about it at www.barclaycard.co.uk/freedom however according to a news article I was reading it will be march before it is introduced

Rob :o
  • stan5001
    stan5001 Posts: 91 Forumite
    I had the Morgan Stanley cashback card which Barclaycard took over. I had to cancel the card within six months of the takeover because barclaycard customer services were so dire, and they'd reduced the cashback you could earn.

I'd left Barclaycard 3 years previously for them being awful at treating customers, and was willing to give them a second chance.

I'd like to give them a third, but they'd have to vow not to use an automated service to call you when they do routine fraud checks (would call me 2-3 times a day leaving long blank voicemails) and really sort out their customer service.
  • As a small independent retailer I have just received my Freedom pack from Barclaycard! I bank with Barclays and receive card payments through Barclaycard Merchant Services and I am now informed that I am automatically part of this scheme unless I choose to opt out by a set date, and in return for this I will be charged and extra 2% on all Barclaycard credit card transactions (this is on top of the 2% I am already being charged!) to fund this scheme. I know that there will be a BIG, BIG 12 Million marketing campaign to establish this service but, and this is a big "BUT" will losing a further 2% of my profit really drive more people into my shop? Previous thread responses have quoted that the reward will be 1% to the shopper, so who gets the other 1%? Replies and views would be welcome as I think that all small businesses already contribute enough to the "Barclays" back pocket, how about rewarding us!!!
  • As a small independent retailer I have just received my Freedom pack from Barclaycard! I bank with Barclays and receive card payments through Barclaycard Merchant Services and I am now informed that I am automatically part of this scheme unless I choose to opt out by a set date, and in return for this I will be charged and extra 2% on all Barclaycard credit card transactions (this is on top of the 2% I am already being charged!) to fund this scheme. I know that there will be a BIG, BIG 12 Million marketing campaign to establish this service but, and this is a big "BUT" will losing a further 2% of my profit really drive more people into my shop? Previous thread responses have quoted that the reward will be 1% to the shopper, so who gets the other 1%? Replies and views would be welcome as I think that all small businesses already contribute enough to the "Barclays" back pocket, how about rewarding us!!!

You ungrateful, tight git!
    :rotfl:
    "I don't want to sound cold and un-caring, but I am those things so that's the way it comes out" - Bill Hicks
  • No, not really! I am just fed up with having to work all the hours god gives me to try and make a living. I am sure that you would not accept a further 2% increase on your income tax would you! I would rather give my customers a direct discount (and already do to loyal customers) than fund this scheme. Sorry, that is just my opinion.
  • hippey
    hippey Posts: 849 Forumite
    It seems that barclaycard are moving the cashback being given by themselves to the retailer. The chip cards were always designed to do this type of loyaty transaction it was just a matter of time.

For the record, I wouldn't use a retailer because of it's loyalty programme, it's would be because they have something I want to buy! Yes I would use a credit card to pay and use Amex if they accepted it but Im getting points/cashback on every purchase wherever I go and they are the points I want!
    These are my thoughts and no one else's, so like any public forum advice - check it out before entering into contracts or spending your hard earned cash!

I don't know everything, however I do try to point people in the right direction but at the end of the day you can only ever help yourself!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure