The ESA medical for people with anxiety and depression

Options

Comments

• Nicky321
    Nicky321 Posts: 1,426 Forumite
    Options
    My son has suffered from anxiety & depression on and off for the last 2 years. During his high school years his mood would swing from high to low, and his temper was nasty. He left school and went to college, finished his college course and started university. It was only when he started university that he was also diagnosed with severe dyspraxia, dysgraphia, dyslexia and scotopic sensitivity syndrome. His anxiety & depression has caused his study to be disrupted and he has been under several medical people for counselling, crisis teams, medication etc. In October of last year he was in a car accident and this too has had an impact on his anxiety & depression, he is on edge all the time, jumping and shouting out when a passenger in the car.

Some days he can be life and soul of the party one minute, violent or crying uncontrollably the next. He has had suicidal thoughts and is awaiting his medication to be changed. He has been on ESA for approximately 6 weeks and the doctor wanted to give him a sick note for 8 weeks on his last visit, but my son doesn't want to be seen as someone who lives on state benefits because he doesnt want to work. The fact is he is unable to work because of his mental illness and specific learning difficulties makes things hard.

He received an ESA50 which I filled in for him due to his condition.

Today he has received a letter to attend a work capability assessment.

I think he is worrying about this assessment now. Is there anything I can do, let him know what to expect, in order to lessen his anxiety about this?

Thanks in advance.
  • Raksha
    Raksha Posts: 4,570 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    From what I hear, the more anxious and distressed the 'client' appears during the assesment, the more likely they are to be passed.
    Please forgive me if my comments seem abrupt or my questions have obvious answers, I have a mental health condition which affects my ability to see things as others might.
  • hushtalk
    Options
    Hi, I passed my first examination. but my second one did not go so well Although nothing has changed at all between both examinations the second one gave me no points at all!

now I had a phone call, saying I need to collect proof.

I feel like they do not have a clue about depression at all,.. its these things I have difficulties with. phone calls, sorting stuff out.

plus first examner advised me to seek medical help now I am trying to sort that because of that the second examiner classed me as not depressed

Do I feel tricked or what?
  • miduck
    miduck Posts: 1,800 Forumite
    Options
    hushtalk wrote: »
    Hi, I passed my first examination. but my second one did not go so well Although nothing has changed at all between both examinations the second one gave me no points at all!

now I had a phone call, saying I need to collect proof.

I feel like they do not have a clue about depression at all,.. its these things I have difficulties with. phone calls, sorting stuff out.

plus first examner advised me to seek medical help now I am trying to sort that because of that the second examiner classed me as not depressed

Do I feel tricked or what?

The DM is giving you the opportunity to provide your own evidence before making a decision - this is a good thing! You need to contact your GP and ask them to write a report about your condition.
  • hushtalk
    Options
    miduck wrote: »
    The DM is giving you the opportunity to provide your own evidence before making a decision - this is a good thing! You need to contact your GP and ask them to write a report about your condition.

I will get on to the GP also asked people who assessed my depression to write something I hope it all will be enough. It is all more stress and not helping at all!

I hope you are right it is a good thing!
  • Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,794 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 27 November 2012 at 6:31PM
    Options
    I will get on to the GP also asked people who assessed my depression to write something I hope it all will be enough. It is all more stress and not helping at all!

I hope you are right it is a good thing!

Yes.. agree with above.. they're going to find you fit for work it seems unless you get something persuasive to the contrary. Focus on the descriptors... nothing else matters... in getting this evidence... if necessary direct your GP as to what your claimed problems are in relation to the WCA and indeed perhaps suggest the descriptors you feel you meet. If they won't help and no other medical pro couldbe asked to provide written evidence then perhaps get hold of any medical documents you can or already have that confirm your situation and in next communication with the DWP DM argue why various descriptors apply to you.. and especially if historically they were found to apply. I very much hope you know historically why you qualified for ESA... at reassessment your argument could have been that nothing has changed and same descriptors apply.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • hushtalk
    Options
    We are awaiting first and second report so I can see where they are wrong and also why i got through in the first place.

thank you,..
  • Muttleythefrog
    Options
    We are awaiting first and second report so I can see where they are wrong and also why i got through in the first place.

thank you,..

Good plan. It gives you some ammunition... it's worth noting the descriptors changed in spring of 2011.. just in case that becomes relevant a fact when you compare. Hopefully you can get the ATOS reports... as more than likely the DWP decisions simply mirror the ATOS advice... the documents are ESA85 ATOS medical report if you have face to face medical and ESA85A ATOS report if not.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • hushtalk
    Options
    just had a trip back from the GP with my girlfriend I had to let her do the talking as I feel totally drained.

We have been told that the GP cannot write us a letter because it is not real proof if it goes via us. It is legally not a great step. he advised us to ask the DM to give him a call for the answers he want.

He also told us he thinks we have been fobbed.
  • broadshoulders02
    Options
    2013 and still facing these issues - my partner suffers from depression and was receiving ESA until his medical where he was declared fit to work - basically for attending the interview. Had he not gone he would have also been declared fit for work - catch 22...damned if you do damned if you don't!! We have lived with his depression for the last 14yrs... and since being told by the medical 'experts' he was well enough to return to work he has drifted in and out of work and between times we have struggled on my salary as he won't apply/put himself through that whole process again!! Which is probably what the government want - but equates to my family being financially crippled for months on end and being chased by bailiffs and debt collections agencies as we are unable to cover our essential outgoings - rent - heat - water - council tax...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure