Edinburgh - Altenburg route cancelled

Options
As a regular user of this route I am sad to see it has been cancelled. Ryanair are quick to publicise the start of routes but dont ever announce closures leaving the user in the dark. It had been publicised this route would be back up for sale in March but it is now been cancelled according to the German press.

Comments

• jamesbrownontheroad
    Options
    Wow. "Ryanair cancelled my flight before they announced the route or sold me a ticket." You get a lot of Ryanair-bashing on this forum, but that's a new complaint... :rotfl:

EDI - AOC was a summer route that ran for a fixed seasonal period. No-one from Ryanair ever promised it would come back.
  • connlach
    Options
    What an astonishing reply. I was not really Ryaniar bashing, more making otheres aware on the forum that the route was not going to be going back on sale. If others like me had been waiting for its return at least they can organise something else.

The only disappointment with Ryanair is they did advise through the press the route would return again in Summer and this was reported widely in Germany. It would be decent of them therefore to annouce somewhere that the route would not return. I think that is only decent service, and allows people to book other flights (probably with Ryanair)

I am a regular user of Ryanair and am not here to slag them off, but also do not have this weird love in with them like others on here who think they are perfect.
  • bebside_bob
    Options
    I for one am really disappointed that this route has been cancelled. I had a brilliant holiday in Altenburg last year as did all other visitors I spoke to. The planes were packed both there and back. As far as I could see, they were bringing a good deal on tourism to the area and German students studying in Edinburgh were pleased they could get home quickly. Shame!
  • gums_2
    gums_2 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    well if you thought that was ryanair bashing for the sake of it - get what they've dome to me and 9 mates travelling to zadar in june - they've pulled the route from edinburgh to zadar - even though we're all booked and paid - its been reported on croatian airline sites yet RyanAir HAVE STILL NOT contacted us to let us know our flight will be cancelled.

because of the high volume of travellers to zadar in this period due to a music festival flights are at a premium as it is - we got booked up early with RyanAir and now they leave us high and dry - yet havent had the courtesy to tell us yet, and calls to their cust service line just tell us that our flights havent yet been cancelled

absolute scumbags
  • apt
    apt Posts: 3,190 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Gums you should insist that Ryanair comply to the EU travel directive and offer you rerouting from Edinburgh to Zadar rather than just giving you no option apart from a refund.
  • gums_2
    Options
    thanks apt, i wasnt aware this is something i could request -i'll try and look into this so that i can be prepared for when they eventually do bother to tell me they've canned the route
  • gums_2
    Options
    i've checked out the EU Reg 261/2004 and it makes interesting reading, however i cant seem to decipher whether that is only valid if you've checked in and a flight is cancelled, rather than they tell you its been cancelled in advance?!
  • gums_2
    Options
    unfortunately as the flight is further than 2 weeks away it seems i have no claim for re-routing :(

http://www.ryanair.com/doc/faqs/EU261_EN.pdf
  • apt
    apt Posts: 3,190 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Gums, the only thing that giving at least 2 weeks notice of a cancellation frees airline from is the obligation to pay additional compensation unter article 7 of the directive. E.g. 250 euros for short-range flights. It does not affect the passenger's right to choose re-routing rather than a refund which is laid out in article 8. However, to get a re-routing out of Ryanair you will have to bring this forcefully to its attention. If it fobs you off you should say that you will be taking action in the small claims court and reporting Ryanair to the OFT for non-compliance with the EU travel directive. The OFT is finally taking an interest in Ryanair's sharp practices and in my opinion it would be better going after Ryanair over repeated failures to offer re-routing than the issue of card fees and misleading pricing.
  • gums_2
    Options
    great stuff, thanks a lot apt, you've been a massive help, i'll be prepared when i speaked to them

thanks again
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport