We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

How to make a cutting from a plant....

hamaradam
hamaradam Posts: 266 Forumite
I have snipped a few bits off a neighbours bush, it is a 'mock orange' and smells absolutely gorgeous. How do I make a cutting, I was told by a neighbour (suggestion) don't use a woody bit,use a soft stem then put into a milk bottle of water and wait for the roots to come then plant it? shall I do that? Any green fingered MSE's out there please...

Comments

• kenshaz
    kenshaz Posts: 3,155
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Need to use a rooting hormone compound,a powder ,lasts for-ever,dip the soft green cutting in it ,use a sandy peat based soil,in a pot,and keep moist by creating a green-house effect with a plastic bag and an elastic band over the pot,place the pot in a saucer of water.Keep in a warm and sunny spot.
    Some cuttings will root directly in water
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]To be happy you need to make someone happy.[/FONT]
  • patchwork_cat
    patchwork_cat Posts: 5,874 Forumite
    Tip
    Blow up the plastic bag once on the pot by using a bendy straw - creates a micro climate. Every so often just re blow it.

There are lots of ways of doing hardwood cuttings, layering , leaf cuttings.

If it is a climber lay a section on the ground, peg it down ( or put something to hold down , but don't crush the stem) come back in 6 months are so and it will have formed roots where it was pegged down.
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    hamaradam wrote:
    I have snipped a few bits off a neighbours bush, it is a 'mock orange' and smells absolutely gorgeous. How do I make a cutting, I was told by a neighbour (suggestion) don't use a woody bit,use a soft stem then put into a milk bottle of water and wait for the roots to come then plant it? shall I do that? Any green fingered MSE's out there please...

You have a softwood or semi-ripe cutting from a Philadelphus.

Look carefully at the bottom of the cutting and see if you can see little blobs (nodals) where the leaves sprout from. If necessary, cut just below a nodal (as roots grow from the same nodal as leaves. Only difference is whether the nodal is above or below the soil).

Place cutting into compost - I prefer a mix of 50:50 compost & perlite, as the perlite helps to get the roots going, by providing a free-draining medium.

Place pot in a propogator or a plastic bag. If necessary, insert a stick in the pot to stop the bag touching the cutting.

The RHS has a step-by-step guide here
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • hamaradam
    hamaradam Posts: 266 Forumite
    Many thanks for your replies, I shall now get on with it! I have a greenhouse which needs space making on the staging for this. By the way, I had left the cuttings in a vase of water overnight in the kitchen and when I got up this morning the kitchen smelt so nice!
  • kickstart_3
    kickstart_3 Posts: 410 Forumite
    Having not long moved i have an empty garden to start to fill and my mum has loads of things i could get cuttings from .Are there any places i could find out how to take cuttings ? Mostly would be from bushes , but to many to list .Where is the best place to find out how to take them please ?
  • paddy's_mum
    paddy's_mum Posts: 3,977
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Your local library - there are dozens of books in every library that will be of help to you.

Alternatively, try googling for propagation tips and see what comes up.

Many charity shops have bookshelves and these are often a good source of cheap gardening reference books. Even if the books on offer are somewhat old fashioned, plants don't change very much over the centuries and the advice given on growing is almost always still valid.
  • irnbru_2
    irnbru_2 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    kickstart wrote:
    Mostly would be from bushes , but to many to list

Are any of them splittable? Spade straight down the middle :)

Cuttings are fine if you have the patience and later in the year I hope to use freeshare to get some.
  • Jayar
    Jayar Posts: 735 Forumite
    Ooooooh this is one of my favourite things to do in the garden. I've lost count of the plants I've given away over the years, just because I cannot resist snipping here and there, potting them up and watching them grow.
    Paddy's mum and Irnbru have both come up with excellent suggestions, but be warned. It is extremely addictive. ;)
    A friend is someone who overlooks your broken fence and admires the flowers in your garden.
  • LizD_2
    LizD_2 Posts: 1,503
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Does anyone know if you can take cuttings from clematis and honeysuckle. We're moving house soon and I'd like to take some cuttings from the plants we're leaving.
  • In_Search_Of_Me
    In_Search_Of_Me Posts: 10,634 Forumite
    My allotment neighbor did some clematis for me & its growing fine!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure